Gannett Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 19, 2017

2.9

51 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett.

Interview

Applied online, completed assessment, and spoke to Recruiter. Recruiter said to call at a specific time and when I did, it went right to voicemail several times. I thought there was an issue with the line as that was the time I was told to call. She called back a few minutes later, very rude and acted as it was not what she wished she was doing at that moment.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett in October 2017.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter and she had set up a call with the hiring manager. Manger is very knowledgeable person. I had a skype call for 30 minutes. He tried to know more about my experience and future plans. He explained about the team structure, role and responsibilities. He said that he will speak to recruiter and will arrange for coding round with the team. I did not receive any update from the recruiter. I tried to follow up with her but never got a response from the recruiter.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neptune, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gannett (Neptune, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

First had a phone interview with recruiter, then the Regional HR manager. Following I took an online assessment. I was told I'd have an in-person interview. I received an email from the DOS informing me that they promoted from within.

Interview Questions

• How I managed and how large my team was.   1 Answer

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Castle, DE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gannett (New Castle, DE) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by the in-house recruiter within 24 hours to arrange a phone screening with HR. Was a fairly standard phone screening interview with questions about my career history and expectations.
    Was asked to complete online profile assessments following the call, which took around 1 hour and was contacted 2 days later to schedule an interview with the hiring manager at the office in Delaware.
    The day before the interview I was notified that the hiring manager wouldn't be available, but the interview would still take place with his line manager, which happens sometimes and was fine.
    I arrived on the day, was interviewed by the regional president, who seemed to be distracted and keen to pass me over to her colleague who was delayed. Again, very standard interview questioning and was handed over to a colleague who had clearly been pulled in at the last minute. Everyone was very friendly, in general, so I'd have no complaints there and the interview process took around 2 hours.
    I followed up by email the following day with the 2 interviewers and HR. Then I called a week later as I had expected to hear back by then. I emailed and called twice more over the following 3 weeks, but never heard back. I did some research and found out that the role had been filled internally and that this had happened either the day of my interview or the day before.
    I'd spent 3 days solidly researching the role and the company, and a round trip of over 3 hours by car. I appreciate that some positions need to be advertised and external candidates interviewed, but this was a huge waste of my time and it would have been more respectful to have at least had the courtesy to respond to let me know.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gannett (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was no impressive. I had a scheduled interview that I took time off of work to make. The interviewer did not call me until 2 hours after the scheduled time. Also, I was being interviewed while the interviewer was driving on the interstate.

Sales Account Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett.

Interview

I was invited into the interview with the hiring manager who after a lengthy conversation about my skill set and the job itself - told me that she 100% wanted to hire me and wanted me to be on her team. She told me not to worry and that I would definitely be hearing back from her after her vacation, which was in about a week. I never received a phone call so I followed up and was told that the position went to someone else. I was then promised profusely that the next position would be mine. Complete waste of time and I passed on another opportunity because of the unprofessionalism of this manager.

Graphic Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gannett (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2016.

Interview

Got a main inviting me for an interview, I had a one on one with a very courteous and nice lady who asked me several questions about my background and work experience. The one on one lasted for about 35mins. Afterwards, did a skills (technical) test which lasted one hour and thirty minutes.

Overall, it was a great experience. Good environment and the staff seem really nice from the lobby.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-10, 10 being excellent, how will your rate your proficiency on Indesign.   1 Answer

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gannett (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I applied internally through another Gannett company. I was taken to lunch by two editors, one senior, another junior. Then they assigned me to cover a committee hearing in Congress the following day, for which I filed a story. However, there really wasn't much "news" as it was an incremental development being discussed at the hearing; bigger events were breaking that day, so my story didn't make it.

Facilities Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gannett (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

Typical behavioral based questions but pretty informal otherwise. Laid back with nice people. Both were phone interviews. Good communication via email w HR manager and plant manager. Seemed like this was the first time they interviewed.

Interview Questions

• "Name a time where you faced a difficult decision ethically with an employee, how did you handle the situation and what was the outcome."   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Gannett in July 2016.

Interview

Horrible. The HR or recruiter person contacted me via email after I submitted my app on the company website. We went back and forth a few times until we found a day and time that worked for both of us -- no big deal. We finally settle on a time...then she calls me a day early while I'm driving on the freeway. I said I thought we had agreed on the next day, but still continued with the "interview". I say that in quotes because I was completely unprepared and caught off guard. She asked me questions I could have answered, had I the time to do a little more research on the area and the company like I was planning on doing that night.

Moreover, in the middle of the interview her dogs start barking -- wildly and loudly. She apologizes and says she's working from home so she's trying to control them. Their barks and howls interrupted my explanation I was in the middle of and she came back and tried to pick up the tone but it just didn't work.

Then, she asks if I have any questions. I start going into specifics about the particular paper I was interviewing for and she says she can't answer a lot of those questions because they are specific to that paper but can answer anything else. But, when I asked how many reporters are in the newsroom of this paper, she says, "Well, there are other people in the newsroom besides reporters. There are photographers, editors, production people, etc." Well, no kidding, lady. I've been in a newsroom before. I understand that everyone is a reporter when it matters, but I asked how many reporters because I understand the difference in those roles and was interested in the number of reporters. Basically, it was condescending and led nowhere.

THEN, I don't hear anything at all after that. I got no call from the editors at that particular paper, or any other recruiters ready to move me up the chain. Not to sound petty or sour, but I'm not surprised when the recruiter botched my initial screening. I've negative things about this organization before, and the interview process was totally consistent with reputation.

Interview Questions

• What was one of your most difficult stories to write and why?   Answer Question