Gap Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2017

2.9

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

2 interviews with 2 different store managers, both in suburban stores, great interviews with well spoken, knowledgeable managers. Negative reviews because of the offer that I got and the fact that the both managers made me wait 10 or mins before they came out to interview me...idk what that is about. I decline the offer because it was for a lower position then I interviewed for and I didn't feel that with my 13 years of retail experience that I needed to take a lesser position to work up in the company.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone undermining your authority   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gap

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Recruiter reached out through linkedin, did phone interview which went really well, she told me she will definitely be in-touch with me that following week and to be patient as she was busy with merchandising interviews but assured me I will get a second interview with DM, the following week i got no response so I emailed her and still no response then I see she is posting on Linkedin. Very unprofessional i was shocked what is happening with these companies and their unprofessional HR approach? Disappointing especially by gap whom is affiliated with old navy "top place to interview"

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 GMs, very casual, asked about my background experience, why I wanted to work for Gap, what I would bring to the table. 1 week later got a job offer from a different location than the one I applied for.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Orlando, FL) in March 2016.

Interview

I was called immediately. Interview process took four interviews and about thirty days. I met with multiple managers that interviewed differently but all very professional and friendly. I received an offer of a higher position. I accepted and am excited about this new role. I used glassdoor to help prepare me for financial questions to get a realistic but best amount for my skills.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle the unknown elements of this business?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

From going to a sales associate to an assistant manager was a pretty good process. I did two phone interviews one with a general manager from another store in the district. Then I had a phone interview with our district manager who offered me the job based on when my background check going through.

Interview Questions

• Going from a sales associate to a manager are you going to be able to enforce the rules and policies. Are you going to be able to step up to the role without difficulty?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Applied online and got a call about a week later. Set up an interview and was asked a bunch of your basic interview questions. Interview was easy just want to see that you have the skills they are looking for.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes was able to negotiate and was given close to what I asked for.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Gap (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

I was promoted from within, so it was slightly more simple. I applied online and performed an interview with my district manager. They made an offer and I was promoted. For out of store employees, the process is slightly more prolonged, as they have to interview with the general manager between the application and the district manager.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Madison, WI) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online, and a few days later I got an interview with my current GM. A few days later, she called me back to schedule a second interview, this time with the GM of another store. After that, I simply had to pass a background check, and I was offered the job.

The interviews were held on a bench out in the mall. While not entirely private, this way no other employees of the store would disturb my GM with questions. My first interview was as much informational as it was about hiring - I learned about the job requirements and the store experience, as well as discussing future career options with my GM.

The second interview was more difficult. This other GM who conducted the interview was more harsh and less conversational. I think the questions there were designed to put pressure on me and see if I was able to keep a professional demeanor while under stress.

Each interview was 30-45 minutes long. There are prepared questions that must be asked of anyone applying for an assistant manager position, as well as room for the interviewer to go more in depth.

Interview Questions

• I was given scenarios involving scheduling, deployment, and other daily leadership tasks.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I never even considered negotiation because I was desperate for a job at that point in my life. I was offered an hourly wage plus benefits, over the phone, and I accepted verbally.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Madison, WI) in August 2011.

Interview

2 face to face interviews one with General Manager one with District Manager. Both interview lasted about 1 hour. Asked basic interview questions about past history, where you want to go in 3, 5, 10 years.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about past experience that would help you coach and develop staff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Auburn, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

First there was a phone interview, which lasted at least 45-50 minutes. Then after more than two weeks I was contacted for an interview, which I was interviewed by two management people, one the store manager whose store had the position open and the district manager. They both were very friendly and made the interview a lot less stressful than I anticipated.

Interview Questions

• After being out of retail for several years what made me decide to return to this career.   Answer Question