Gap Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gap Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.9

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Vaughan, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

I originally applied online, got a call within the week, and was scheduled for a 1:1 interview in the store with the store manager the following week. The interview was about 1.5 hours. We spoke about my previous experience as an Assistant Manager, and then was informed of Gap's history, the way BR works and what kind of roles the Assistant Manager is in charge of. It was an overall very long process, took about a month to get an offer. I accepted the offer with a very great pay and great benefits.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to our company?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Gap

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Recruiter reached out through linkedin, did phone interview which went really well, she told me she will definitely be in-touch with me that following week and to be patient as she was busy with merchandising interviews but assured me I will get a second interview with DM, the following week i got no response so I emailed her and still no response then I see she is posting on Linkedin. Very unprofessional i was shocked what is happening with these companies and their unprofessional HR approach? Disappointing especially by gap whom is affiliated with old navy "top place to interview"

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Orlando, FL) in March 2016.

Interview

I was called immediately. Interview process took four interviews and about thirty days. I met with multiple managers that interviewed differently but all very professional and friendly. I received an offer of a higher position. I accepted and am excited about this new role. I used glassdoor to help prepare me for financial questions to get a realistic but best amount for my skills.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle the unknown elements of this business?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

From going to a sales associate to an assistant manager was a pretty good process. I did two phone interviews one with a general manager from another store in the district. Then I had a phone interview with our district manager who offered me the job based on when my background check going through.

Interview Questions

• Going from a sales associate to a manager are you going to be able to enforce the rules and policies. Are you going to be able to step up to the role without difficulty?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Auburn, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

First there was a phone interview, which lasted at least 45-50 minutes. Then after more than two weeks I was contacted for an interview, which I was interviewed by two management people, one the store manager whose store had the position open and the district manager. They both were very friendly and made the interview a lot less stressful than I anticipated.

Interview Questions

• After being out of retail for several years what made me decide to return to this career.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Madison, WI) in August 2011.

Interview

2 face to face interviews one with General Manager one with District Manager. Both interview lasted about 1 hour. Asked basic interview questions about past history, where you want to go in 3, 5, 10 years.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about past experience that would help you coach and develop staff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Gap (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

I was promoted from within, so it was slightly more simple. I applied online and performed an interview with my district manager. They made an offer and I was promoted. For out of store employees, the process is slightly more prolonged, as they have to interview with the general manager between the application and the district manager.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Madison, WI) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online, and a few days later I got an interview with my current GM. A few days later, she called me back to schedule a second interview, this time with the GM of another store. After that, I simply had to pass a background check, and I was offered the job.

The interviews were held on a bench out in the mall. While not entirely private, this way no other employees of the store would disturb my GM with questions. My first interview was as much informational as it was about hiring - I learned about the job requirements and the store experience, as well as discussing future career options with my GM.

The second interview was more difficult. This other GM who conducted the interview was more harsh and less conversational. I think the questions there were designed to put pressure on me and see if I was able to keep a professional demeanor while under stress.

Each interview was 30-45 minutes long. There are prepared questions that must be asked of anyone applying for an assistant manager position, as well as room for the interviewer to go more in depth.

Interview Questions

• I was given scenarios involving scheduling, deployment, and other daily leadership tasks.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I never even considered negotiation because I was desperate for a job at that point in my life. I was offered an hourly wage plus benefits, over the phone, and I accepted verbally.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gap in April 2010.

Interview

First off you have to go through a background check and a company checklist through their system. Once a potential applicant passes that then they will be called in for an interview. This can take a few weeks but most don't. Once in the interview the store manager, and/ or the district manager will ask you your experience, and what make this job for you. Almost always they will try to get to know you on a personal level in order to see if you would fit in the "Gap" culture. Usually it means that you need to be upbeat, happy and willing to learn, although most managers have different standards. If you are there for more than a half an hour then this is a good thing. Once that interview and if the district manager is not present you will probably be called back to do a second interview usually over the phone as they are busy.

Interview Questions

• From coming in this store today what would you change to make this store even better than it is now?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Applied online and got a call about a week later. Set up an interview and was asked a bunch of your basic interview questions. Interview was easy just want to see that you have the skills they are looking for.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes was able to negotiate and was given close to what I asked for.