Gap Retail Management Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gap Retail Management Program Interview Questions

Interviews at Gap

3.8

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Sent Resume in, then a behavioral interview. Then a week long project focused on building a brand. Then a 3 day trip where they fly you out to meet with executives and group interview sessions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Gap

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap in October 2014.

Interview

First I thoroughly researched company, and then applied through university. To show my interest, I went to career fair and spoke with them, info session that night , and I received an on-campus interview the next day. Second round was fashion brand creation project, where you are expected to put in 8-10 hours of work. Very fun project, make sure you cover all bases.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

Overall good experience. I applied through my school site, first interview was at campus career center. Very friendly asked mostly about my previous experience, how well I knew gap, and why I was a good fit. Next was a project, where I had to come up with a new brand to add to their portfolio. They recommend about a week to prepare, but I definitely did not spend as much time as I could. In hindsight, I should have made mine more polished. They really want to see that you are well rounded and understand the creative side equally as the financial/strategy. Not asked to continue beyond this, but they went out of their way to give me a phone call explaining the pros and cons of my presentation and what I should improve on if I chose to reapply.

Interview Questions

• If I have 50,000 sweaters, how do I go about determining which stores to distribute them to, and how many to each?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The first interview was mainly behavioral with one case element regarding how I would distribute vests if I have 500,000 of them when the vests were doing really well in the market. After making it past the first interview, you had to do a project where you came up with a new brand for Gap Inc. The financial elements of this were challenging and since you had a short period of time to complete it, it was difficult to be thorough. You then had to present your new brand to the interviewer over skype.

Interview Questions

• If you have 500,000 vests when the vests are doing really well in the market, how would you distribute them?   1 Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gap in September 2014.

Interview

Submit resume and cover letter online. Have phone interview with a recruiter (they asked average questions as well as those listed here, ie why Gap, why retail, puffy jackets question). They give you an assignment (others have listed details) with one week to complete. The day before your presentation (in person if local, by Skype if not) you must send them your documents and also complete an online assessment (half character traits, half SAT-type questions). You then spend about an hour presenting, answering questions about your presentation, answering normal interview questions and asking your own questions.

I had a great experience until after my presentation. The interviewer told me I would hear a yes, no, or maybe within 2 weeks, however, I did not get any sort of idea whatsoever until FIVE weeks later.

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Gave my resume through career fair at my school. They quickly contacted me to set up an on-campus interview. After the interview, there was the next round where we had to create a new brand for the GAP and craft a presentation. Presented to a GAP recruiter via Skype.

Interview Questions

• If GAP was releasing a new leather jacket, how should it decide its distribution strategy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Format of interview – Two interviews with a recruiter and a business partner. The interviews lasted between 50 minutes and one hour.

Though I thought the first conversation went well and I really clicked with a business partner, when I went to speak with a recruiter (which happened to be in charge of the whole recruiting/retail management/internship program, I couldn't seem to click with her. She seemed to dismiss my answers, didn't seem engaged in what I said, and did not answer my questions about the position or herself with much enthusiasm.

While I think I could've handled the second interview better, I felt that two interviews back-to-back within the course of an hour was exhausting and nerve wracking, especially given their high positions. If I had passed through this round, there still would've been two more rounds to follow. As much as I love Gap, Inc. their recruiting process is extremely tiring and exclusive.

Interview Questions

• Given your major, why are you interested in the Retail Management Program?   Answer Question

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gap in August 2014.

Interview

The first round was a fairly straightfoward half hour phone interview. Not too many difficult questions. The second round was much more difficult. It required a presentation in which one had to concoct a brand to add to the Gap Inc. portfolio. I was content with the job I did, but I was later informed that the business aspects of the presentation were not strong enough. Overall, however, the experience was positive.

Interview Questions

• How would you avoid internal competition between companies?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial half hour phone screening, standard behavioral based questions. Next round was a project to complete. They give you 7 days to create a new brand to introduce to their portfolio, covering everything including product assortment, business strategy, and financial plan. Did not move on past this round due to insufficient market research for new brand. Project was very time-intensive. Final round in home offices in San Francisco.

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gap in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume online. In about week, I was contacted by an HR representative to schedule an initial phone interview. The phone interview was very behavioral. There was one 'retail/technical' question regarding distribution of puffy vests that has been mentioned in previous reviews. Luckily, I had interned in the retail industry over the summer, so I knew how to answer the question. At the end of the conversation, the recruiter told me that I would be moving on to the next round, which would be an hour presentation that I would be given a week to prepare.

About week and a half later, I received the project guidelines which was to introduce a new brand to Gap's portfolio. They instruct you to spend 6-8 hours over the course of the week to complete the project. During the presentation, you are given 15-20 min to present, then the recruiter will ask you a series of questions to basically explain your decision to introduce the brand, challenges, what you enjoyed, etc. You will also be asked to give a two minute pitch of your brand as if you were talking to the CEO. I was told that I would hear back by the end of the month on whether or not I was chosen to move to the final round. However, I never heard anything from them (extremely rude, especially since I informed them that I had a pending offer from my summer internship, so I needed to be updated in case I needed to request an extension).

Aside from their inconsiderate lack of response to my emails inquiring about my candidacy, I would say it was a pretty positive experience. When I asked both interviewers for feedback, they did not hesitate to give me some type of constructive criticism (although, the second interviewer didn't have anything to criticize). Nonetheless, I did appreciate the feedback. As a student with a Liberal Arts background, I would say that the only reason I probably even got considered for the program was because I worked in Gap stores for one summer and I had some corporate retail experience at another company. Otherwise, I figure that the majority of the candidates have more of a business background.

Interview Questions

• How would you distribute 1000 puffy vests? What would you take into consideration?   1 Answer