Gap Retail Management Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gap Retail Management Program Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2017

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gap (New York, NY).

Interview

Resume drop on university career site, then assessment (math+culture), then phone interview with recruiter. The recruiter seemed very rushed and uninterested in what I had to say which threw me off and led to me delivering not as polished answers as I would have liked to. It left a bad impression on Gap.

Interview Questions

• -Why Gap and why RMP
    -Time had to change approach due to change in situation
    -Time went above and beyond what had to do
    -What looking for in company
    -Time failed
    -Hobbies
    -Extracurricular activities
    -How to distribute 50k jackets that were introduced last season and are performing well
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gap

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gap in September 2016.

Interview

I connected with Gap through a college career fair and had an on-campus interview the next day. The interview was about 30 minutes and was a basic behavioral interview. There was also an online assessment.

Interview Questions

• The first round was a basic behavioral interview. At the end there were a few situational questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Sent Resume in, then a behavioral interview. Then a week long project focused on building a brand. Then a 3 day trip where they fly you out to meet with executives and group interview sessions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

Overall good experience. I applied through my school site, first interview was at campus career center. Very friendly asked mostly about my previous experience, how well I knew gap, and why I was a good fit. Next was a project, where I had to come up with a new brand to add to their portfolio. They recommend about a week to prepare, but I definitely did not spend as much time as I could. In hindsight, I should have made mine more polished. They really want to see that you are well rounded and understand the creative side equally as the financial/strategy. Not asked to continue beyond this, but they went out of their way to give me a phone call explaining the pros and cons of my presentation and what I should improve on if I chose to reapply.

Interview Questions

• If I have 50,000 sweaters, how do I go about determining which stores to distribute them to, and how many to each?   1 Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Gave my resume through career fair at my school. They quickly contacted me to set up an on-campus interview. After the interview, there was the next round where we had to create a new brand for the GAP and craft a presentation. Presented to a GAP recruiter via Skype.

Interview Questions

• If GAP was releasing a new leather jacket, how should it decide its distribution strategy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The first interview was mainly behavioral with one case element regarding how I would distribute vests if I have 500,000 of them when the vests were doing really well in the market. After making it past the first interview, you had to do a project where you came up with a new brand for Gap Inc. The financial elements of this were challenging and since you had a short period of time to complete it, it was difficult to be thorough. You then had to present your new brand to the interviewer over skype.

Interview Questions

• If you have 500,000 vests when the vests are doing really well in the market, how would you distribute them?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial half hour phone screening, standard behavioral based questions. Next round was a project to complete. They give you 7 days to create a new brand to introduce to their portfolio, covering everything including product assortment, business strategy, and financial plan. Did not move on past this round due to insufficient market research for new brand. Project was very time-intensive. Final round in home offices in San Francisco.

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

First round: phone interview, be prepared to discuss why GAP and specifically why retail. Additionally a couple of hypothetical questions were asked, nothing too hard, but probably used to weed out candidates.
    2nd round: Very comprehensive project requiring the candidate to come up with an additional brand that GAP should add to their portfolio, which includes, market positioning, competition, financials, and overall macro level strategy in reasoning why GAP should ask this. You have 15 minutes to present this to a recruiter, and then she will ask a variety of questions like--how did you arrive at your financials, how is your product different from competition/existing GAP products, etc. The suggested time was 6-8 hours spent on this, but personally I spent a lot more since the topic was extremely broad

Had to wait 2 weeks to hear back, even though I thought I did well, apparently it wasn't good enough.

Interview Questions

• If you had to distribute 5000 puffy vests, what factors would you take into consideration and why?   Answer Question

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gap in October 2014.

Interview

First I thoroughly researched company, and then applied through university. To show my interest, I went to career fair and spoke with them, info session that night , and I received an on-campus interview the next day. Second round was fashion brand creation project, where you are expected to put in 8-10 hours of work. Very fun project, make sure you cover all bases.

Retail Management Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gap in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume online. In about week, I was contacted by an HR representative to schedule an initial phone interview. The phone interview was very behavioral. There was one 'retail/technical' question regarding distribution of puffy vests that has been mentioned in previous reviews. Luckily, I had interned in the retail industry over the summer, so I knew how to answer the question. At the end of the conversation, the recruiter told me that I would be moving on to the next round, which would be an hour presentation that I would be given a week to prepare.

About week and a half later, I received the project guidelines which was to introduce a new brand to Gap's portfolio. They instruct you to spend 6-8 hours over the course of the week to complete the project. During the presentation, you are given 15-20 min to present, then the recruiter will ask you a series of questions to basically explain your decision to introduce the brand, challenges, what you enjoyed, etc. You will also be asked to give a two minute pitch of your brand as if you were talking to the CEO. I was told that I would hear back by the end of the month on whether or not I was chosen to move to the final round. However, I never heard anything from them (extremely rude, especially since I informed them that I had a pending offer from my summer internship, so I needed to be updated in case I needed to request an extension).

Aside from their inconsiderate lack of response to my emails inquiring about my candidacy, I would say it was a pretty positive experience. When I asked both interviewers for feedback, they did not hesitate to give me some type of constructive criticism (although, the second interviewer didn't have anything to criticize). Nonetheless, I did appreciate the feedback. As a student with a Liberal Arts background, I would say that the only reason I probably even got considered for the program was because I worked in Gap stores for one summer and I had some corporate retail experience at another company. Otherwise, I figure that the majority of the candidates have more of a business background.

Interview Questions

• How would you distribute 1000 puffy vests? What would you take into consideration?   1 Answer