Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.9

155 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

IOS Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The job interview was for an iOS development position.

After two calls with an internal recruiter, I traveled to Garmin at my own expense. The office was empty at 10am on a Tuesday, which was a bit off putting. I had a chat with a manager and an electrical engineer. Both talks went well.

After speaking with the manager and EE, I had the "technical interview," which I was not expecting given the higher level talks with the recruiter and manager. For this I was set up in an empty conference room with a PC about eight years old. The iOS people were not located in this office, they were in Glendale, Arizona. The interview was conducted over Skype with a broken web cam. The interviewer could see me but I could not see them. The questions were typical iOS questions from one of the various lists about "how to interview an iOS developer" you can find via google. What's a delegate, what's a protocol, etc.

I kind of zoned out and answered the questions with the expected answers. Then the interviewer asked a few typical coding problems. I was to type the answer into Notepad while he screen shared with me. At this point I was relatively upset about the interview process. I did not get an offer or much of a follow up and I keep seeing the job re-listed on LinkedIn.

I'm rating the experience negatively because the recruiter implied this was a higher level position not something where I would be doing a basic iOS quiz. However, I understand the need to technically screen all applicants. Garmin really needs to do a better job. When hiring an iOS dev you need to have at least one Mac in the office. The technical part of the interview should be done with technical people in person, not over the phone. Especially if you bring the person into the office. Having someone come in and then interview with someone who isn't even there, using broken equipment, is extremely rude.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Submitted resume online. Received an email, was asked several immegration questions, and then I was rejected by no reason. I have no idea what is the issue. And I just being rejected.

Interview Questions

• Some personal things (EAD card information, and H1-B stuff)   Answer Question

Configuration Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2017.

Interview

About two weeks after applying online on the Garmin website I was called by a recruiter who set-up a phone interview, which took place two days later. The phone interview was a basic screening call with a member from the HR department. There were questions that you would encounter in a basic interview about strengths, weaknesses, greatest challenge, resolving conflicts, etc. There was some technical questions that mostly focused on explaining basic programming concepts, much like on a test or quiz from college classes. Lastly, I was asked if I had any other offers from other companies.

About a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to schedule an on-site interview at Garmin in Olathe, Kansas. It was also requested of me to provide my latest performance review documents from my current employer, as well as two references.

The on-site interview lasted 2.5 hours and consisted of three parts; an HR interview, a technical interview, and a tour. The HR interview was with the same person who performed my phone interview and spent most of the time explaining to me how the benefits work, and asking if I had any questions about the benefits programs. This interview lasted about 30 minutes.

The technical interview was with three software developers; one was a manager, and the other two worked under the manager. This interview lasted about 1.5 hours and consisted of several questions, the important ones I have listed in the Interview Questions portion. In addition to the questions I listed, there were multiple programming concept questions, similar to the ones asked during the phone interview.

Something very important to note is that Garmin uses only C++ and not any other languages. When they asked my language set, I listed the 8 to 10 that I use in my current job, and the Garmin developers were not familiar with any of them (they only knew C++). Yet, they were adamant that I prove my proficiency in OOP, specifically C++, and were not concerned with much else. It gave the appearance, to me, that the software development at Garmin might be behind the times, and not moving forward with the industry.

After the technical interview was a tour of the campus that lasted about 30 minutes, after which I was dismissed. The building is very old with low lighting, and most offices are in the middle of the buildings without windows. There are often 3 to 4 employees sharing a small interior office. It was not very inviting.

I hope this experiences and observation is helpful to others.

Interview Questions

• What is multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever coded for multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Are what are the advantages and disadvantages with multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • How familiar are you with C++ or other object oriented programming languages?   Answer Question
    • What is wrong with this code, and how can you improve it?
      (I was then handed a printed code block and handed a pen.)   Answer Question
    • Describe your latest programming project (you may draw on a white board if needed).   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Garmin?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • What programming languages are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Phone interview with technical recruiter. Do not care for impersonal, phone type interviews. One good thing, though, is that if you aren't selected, they tell you, unlike many companies these days.

Interview Questions

• How much C++ experience do you have.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, two weeks later a recruiter called to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was 45 minutes, interviewer was nice, and it was just a standard behavorial interview. Interviewer said they would follow up in a week and that there would be another interview if I was selected. Got a rejection email a week after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself. Why did I choose to be a Mechanical Engineer? How well do I get along with other majors? Strengths/Weaknesses? Long-term Plans? The rest was questions about content on my resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter to schedule time. I replied promptly, but they did not reply until over 1 week later. As a result, I had to provide additional availability for the following week. We finally schedule something. Come interview time and they do cancel last minute. They contact me again for additional availability. I provide them with times again. No reply for over 3 weeks now. I'm just going to assume this isn't going anywhere. Out of all my 40+ interviews, I have never experienced such unprofessionalism. Pretty disappointed, especially from a company with such a big name.

Interview Questions

Garmin Response

Feb 27, 2017 – University Relations Team Leader

I'm sorry to hear this... please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will investigate what happened. My sincerest apologies as this is not a great representation of our normal process and I... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online through my school's website and received an email for an interview within a week. The interview consisted of questions about the various classes I had taken before the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you optimize a database?   Answer Question
    • 2. What is the difference between a vector and a linked list?   Answer Question
    • 3. What are linked lists, vectors and binary search trees optimized for?   Answer Question
    • 4. What is the big O of finding an element in a vector and in a linked list?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in March 2017.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a career fair for my university and we hit it off. I expressed interest in the position he showed me and I was contacted a few weeks later to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview mostly consisted of general HR questions, questions about my past projects, working in a team, etc. There was a brief technical portion that asked some basic C questions (how to declare a pointer, difference between semaphore/mutex, explain the difference between stack and heap). A week later I was called and set up an onsite interview, where Garmin paid for everything during the trip (flight, hotel, food).

The onsite interview started at 9am and went until 1pm. There were 5 back to back interviews.
    First I met with the engineering lead. We discussed Garmin as a whole, why I want to work for Garmin, etc. Nothing technical.
    Secondly, I met with another engineering lead who asked me similar questions to the first interview, but also asked about my past projects, past engineering experience, the types of projects at Garmin.
    Next I met with HR who asked me some HR scenarios (what was a time your ethics were challenged, how did you approach it?; what was a time you had a conflict in a team setting? how did you handle it?).
    Fourthly, I met with two software team leads, who asked me exclusively technical questions. The first half of the interview was all rapid fire C questions (what is a thread? what is meant by thread-safe?; what does the volatile keyword mean?; what is an enum?; what is a macro? when is it used?; when would you pass a pointer to a variable rather than the variable itself?). The second half was a coding question in three parts. First, I had to read a series of engineering specifications for what the code shall do, and tell the interviewers my answer. They were simple specifications, but worded rather poorly and took me longer than it should have to identify the specifications. Secondly, I had to describe the testing procedure for my code. Thirdly, I had to implement the code.
    The last interview was at lunch with another engineering lead. We discussed my past experience, various coding platforms I have used. Overall pretty similar to the second interview.

Overall the interview was very pleasant, and everyone I talked to was nice and helpful.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The entire interview process was very fast. I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted by a recruiter approximately a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was the typical behavioral interview with one or two basic technical questions. The interviewer was extremely nice and helped make the experience enjoyable. After one more week, I set up a Skype interview with three Garmin engineers who asked me technical questions related to my past experiences and a few brainteasers.

Interview Questions

• You are given a basket of weights all weighing the same except for two. How would you go about identifying the two weights that are different? What is the asymptotic runtime of your algorithm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Durham, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online via my college's career site. Heard back within a few days with a phone screening. Interviewer was quite friendly and asked various behavioral questions along with some resume questions. After about a week and half, was contacted for a technical (over phone). Technical was straight forward. Theory questions were based off of classes taken or languages studied. I had 2 coding questions which were quite simple and only had to be done in pseudo code.

Interview Questions

• Given a value, print out the change equivalent.   Answer Question
    • What type of development do you prefer (front end, backend, etc)?   Answer Question