Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 17, 2017

2.8

Avionics Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in August 2012.

Interview

Three weeks of phone calls hyping the company and arranging an onsite interview at Olathe. Hyped to believe that an offer was highly likely. They wanted me to provide written performance evaluations from former bosses. The hiring event brought in about twenty engineers on one day. The group of twenty was divided to to two groups - the young ones and the old ones. I was in the old group. We were sent on a four hour drive around the Kansas City are to educate us on the advantages of moving to KC. Then, a four hour interview schedule where each group lead me to believe I would "almost certainly get an offer". HR was taking down information from me as if it was certain I'd get an offer. Interviewed with Marine, aviation and automotive. The aviation guy gave me a riddle/puzzle to solve - how to guess a sequence given some information about each guess. I passed, but he thought I took too long. He also wanted me to do some sort of word association. Careerbuilder / Personified ran the event and bungled the company's response, which was to decline to make an offer. I waited for an email that didn't come. The HR babe who had been sooo supportive a few days later would not offer any advice as to why I was not selected or answer phone calls. I thought it was very inconsiderate when one considers how many hours I had to put in to attend this event. I went away from this interview never wanting to work there.

Interview Questions

• "Technical challenge" - with two anxious interviewers staring at you across a table provide code / pseudo code of how to reverse a linked list in five minutes or less with them showing visible frustration if you weren't ready for this. No other questions about C or C++, just do you remember data structures class from 20 years ago which you haven't had reason to use since.   4 Answers

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview asking personality questions and a few broad technical questions.
    This was followed by an in-person interview with two interviewers. This was mostly technical with questions involving algorithm complexities and writing code to problems in your code of choice.

Interview Questions

• Fix the bug in this code? (Then handed a sheet with a short C++ function on it)   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in September 2017.

Interview

I received an email requesting a phone interview with an HR person. The interview was pretty basic "get to know you" kind of questions. The next step was an online Skype interview with two team leads. They asked about my internship experience and there were a bunch of technical questions. The technical questions seemed to be mostly C based which seemed weird because I didn't have C listed on my resume and explained during the HR interview that I was most comfortable with Java and web based languages.

Interview Questions

• Internship experience. Have you worked with embedded systems? Buffer overflows. Multi-threading. Semaphores. Structs. Etc...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online through my school's website and received an email for an interview within a week. The interview consisted of questions about the various classes I had taken before the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you optimize a database?   Answer Question
    • 2. What is the difference between a vector and a linked list?   Answer Question
    • 3. What are linked lists, vectors and binary search trees optimized for?   Answer Question
    • 4. What is the big O of finding an element in a vector and in a linked list?   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Manhattan, KS) in September 2016.

Interview

One in person interview, one phone interview. Process took a couple months, not too bad. It helps to have design experience, they like if you can talk about one of your previous projects and explain it in great depth.

OEM Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in May 2016.

Interview

Was first called by an HR Admin and interviewed for about 10 minutes. She then set up a follow-up interview with the HR manager which lasted about 30 minutes. She was very much interested in past management positions, the number of people that I'd managed on one team, my management style, past problems with employees and how I resolved them.

Interview Questions

• Describe your management style.   1 Answer

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in March 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview, approx 30 minutes. Subsequent formal interview with two individuals, then a tour of the facilities. I did not listen into any calls, but that may be because I have a great deal of experience doing this kind of work.

Interview Questions

• Describe your greatest strength.
      Describe your greatest shortcoming.
      Describe a recent time when you had a technical problem, and how you solved it.
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      What would your former employers say about you? Why?
      Why did you choose Garmin?

I was assured that they would be calling either way, but have not yet heard from anyone at all. It's been about 1.5 weeks, so I just sent an inquiry email...   1 Answer

Junior Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online. A recruiter contacted me via phone. The recruiter briefly went over my schooling and what it was like to work at Garmin. Then she proceeded to ask me technical questions. The technical questions were non-Linux related (to a degree). I expected more technical questions. I was asked about how I feel about working at Garmin long-term and what kind of pay I would expect from working in the Internship position. I was less than impressed that I was declined when they didn't even talk about anything Linux-related.

Interview Questions

• Describe how a secure HTTP session is established.   Answer Question
    • What kind of programming languages have you used?   Answer Question
    • What kind of professional projects have you done?   Answer Question
    • What is something you've studied in school related to this job opportunity?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through university. Got accepted for interview 2 weeks later, was invited to company info session with other prospective employees. Went to interview. Lots of behavioural questions, especially on teamwork and development process. Technical questions were based on brainstorming solutions to problems about software, rather than concepts in Software Development.

Interview Questions

• How do you tackle issues that arise when working on a team?   Answer Question

Inventory and Material Manager (Inventory Control) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Taipei (Taiwan)) in November 2015.

Interview

The whole process was divided into 3 parts:

1.Examine English and Logic test for around 30 mins, you don't have to take English test if you obtain a Governmental Certification such as IELTS, TOEIC and so on.

2.Start from an English introduction, and roughly introduce your previous experience.

3.1-2 questions about arranging schedule and simulation related.

Interview Questions

• What objectives do you expect to achieve within 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What's the responsibility of this position and how would you deal with?   Answer Question