Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2017

2.8

HR Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview, met panel of peers, very informal conversations, they asked who i knew at garmin. Helps to know someone who foes work there. Also if you are mechanical, have engineering or avionics experience that impresses them.

Interview Questions

• Do you mind flying on small planes to visit smaller colleges to hold recruiting trips   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in December 2016.

Interview

1) 30 minute phone screen. Recruiter asked me questions about my resume, followed by a few very simple questions about programming in C/C++.

2) 1 hour Skype interview with 2 engineers. Talked about general software engineering principles and my resume. Asked a few simple questions (find the number of bits set to 1 in an int, determine what a piece of code was doing - it was storing a count of each alphabet character in a string).

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taoyuan (Taiwan)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Taoyuan (Taiwan)) in September 2017.

Interview

Technical test ( c, c++ and trace code), HR interview and senior interview. Mentioning about master thesis, do i have experience about using Java, C and embedded system... and so on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in July 2017.

Interview

Friendly phone interview that lasted about 40 minutes. Basic questions about interest in Garmin were asked. Some random technical questions about software were asked. I was able to provide an answer to all of them. I had zero expectation of a job offer and only decided to do a phone interview to practice my interview skills. I've learned long ago that phone screens with technical recruiters were usually a waste of time. All job offers I've ever had in my life were when I was initially contacted by the hiring manager and not HR or a technical recruiter for a "phone interview".

What job seekers do not realize is that Garmin hires H1Bs for cheap engineering labor. To hire H1Bs, companies need to be able to provide some kind of evidence that they cannot find any candidates at all that meet their needs or skill requirements. The tactics they use is to either have a long extensive list of various skill requirements in their job ads that nobody can possibly possess all at once and/or when they conduct interviews they simply ask random technical questions where either the candidate might not have an answer to or an answer that the recruiter can pick apart and say that your answer just didn't sound competent. It's a simple legal tactic for a company to manipulate the system and make claims that they cannot find an American engineer that meets their skill requirements.

My advice is to do just what I did. Interview with them for practice and with zero expectation of an offer or second interview. Write down their questions as they are being asked, and then use those for continual practice to interview for the next company that is actually looking for American labor. Believe me, if all H1Bs and outsourced labor in the STEM fields were banned, you'd see wages in the engineering fields literally double overnight, and finding work would be a matter of picking which company is offering the highest sign on bonus.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary requirements?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Lincoln, NE) in October 2016.

Interview

There was one technical interview with a Garmin engineer to assess technical knowledge. Then there was a personal skills interview with a member of their HR team assessing if you were a culture fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite data structure and why?   Answer Question
    • What are three ways of finding a missing integer from a list, and implement all three.   Answer Question
    • How would you describe the agile software development process?   Answer Question
    • What do you expect to get out of an internship?   Answer Question

Aviation Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied for the position online; phone screened 10 days later, onsite interview about 2 weeks later.

The phone screening was performed by HR staff, but including some easy coding questions.
    Onsite interview consisted of 5 sessions, the first session was with HR staff, then systems engineering manager, the director of Engineering, tech lead along with software manager, and last one was lunch with another engineering manager.

It was a good experience and I was exposed to the facility where there is a hangar with some aircraft for testing.

The work environment seems a little layback and people were nice.

Interview Questions

• Design a system and code for a situation for various aircraft   Answer Question
    • Some basic C and embedded systems related questions (reentrants, multitasking, etc.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ) in February 2017.

Interview

Only received a behavioral phone call; they asked about me and my career ambitions but also some basic technical questions like asking about pointers and C. I didn't like how they asked about salary requirements as it was only the initial interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Got an e-mail to interview with HR personnel. Interview with HR went well. Questions were mainly behavioural. I beleive they want to access how you'll fit into their culture if at all.

Interview Questions

• Mainly behavioral questions. Nothing technical.   1 Answer

Bilingual Product Support Especialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Lenexa, KS) in August 2017.

Interview

So you get phone interview and then I waited a week to get a face to face interview. Another week till the interview date arrived. I had two interview one in Spanish with written test then the supervisor of the area took me to the send part of the interview in English. The Spanish portion was about 15-30 mins long plus + 10 mins of the test. Second interview was 30-50 mins long. They asked multiple question about my self, experience and previous jobs. The interview setting was very formal, hard to connect with the people interviewing me since they were looking at there laptop and typing everything I said. For a moment I felt that I was getting interview for a higher position than a customer service presentative. Then one of the supervisor asked if I could stay little longer to shadow someone, I agree to stay but I wasn't expecting to spend nearly 3 hours between interview and shadowing someone.

I was able to talk to the person taking calls and he was saying of inefficient is the systems for the bilingual people, that they had to know the entire like of product.
    They use multiple systems to get the answered or take payment, convert prices to Mexican pesos or other. The place is outdated as well as the equipment been used and almost empty.
    Garmin has good benefits but there isn't a lot of advancement within the company so if you are looking on been in the same position forever this is a good place for you.

Got a job offer but Rejected for how much training, product knowledge I needed and the little time to get that knowledge, plus money was not what I expected for the Amount of thing to be done.

Assembler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2017.

Interview

I walked in with an open attitude and a friendly smile and was greeted. She sat me down and I introduced myself and went straight into the interview process. I was later offered and was given an opportunity to show my work.

Interview Questions

• What is my strongest quality in being a good worker.   1 Answer