Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online through my school's website and received an email for an interview within a week. The interview consisted of questions about the various classes I had taken before the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you optimize a database?   Answer Question
    • 2. What is the difference between a vector and a linked list?   Answer Question
    • 3. What are linked lists, vectors and binary search trees optimized for?   Answer Question
    • 4. What is the big O of finding an element in a vector and in a linked list?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter to schedule time. I replied promptly, but they did not reply until over 1 week later. As a result, I had to provide additional availability for the following week. We finally schedule something. Come interview time and they do cancel last minute. They contact me again for additional availability. I provide them with times again. No reply for over 3 weeks now. I'm just going to assume this isn't going anywhere. Out of all my 40+ interviews, I have never experienced such unprofessionalism. Pretty disappointed, especially from a company with such a big name.

Interview Questions

Garmin Response

Feb 27, 2017 – University Relations Team Leader

I'm sorry to hear this... please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will investigate what happened. My sincerest apologies as this is not a great representation of our normal process and I ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin in February 2017.

Interview

Met them at a college career fair. I got an interview the day after. Mostly asked behavioral questions. Asked about my experiences. Still in the process currently so I don't have a lot of information to share. Mostly, make sure to know basic programming and how to explain your experience. Make sure to also prepare to answer behavioral questions. How would you solve a difficult problem?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Durham, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online via my college's career site. Heard back within a few days with a phone screening. Interviewer was quite friendly and asked various behavioral questions along with some resume questions. After about a week and half, was contacted for a technical (over phone). Technical was straight forward. Theory questions were based off of classes taken or languages studied. I had 2 coding questions which were quite simple and only had to be done in pseudo code.

Interview Questions

• Given a value, print out the change equivalent.   Answer Question
    • What type of development do you prefer (front end, backend, etc)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in February 2017.

Interview

For the most part it was just about my history and then a brief technical interview. Two interviewers and myself, one software engineer and one not. Much more focus on past projects than on anything else. Technical questions were typical CSC-150 type questions you see in any technical interview. Overall, pleasant interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain a past project and any difficulties you had with it.   Answer Question

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the Garmin site. About a month later I got a call from their HR recruiter and scheduled an interview for the next day, The interview was with the Technical Recruiter and the supervisor/manager of the department with the opening. They were friendly and showed genuine interest in me as an applicant...making me feel comfortable in answering their questions about my skills and work experience. Probably the best interview I ever experienced...whether I get the job or not.

Interview Questions

• What didn't I like about my current job...where I employ skills they are looking for.   1 Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was given an initial phone screening from HR then a technical interview from a team manager. The experience was fine, overall, although I will say that some of the questions asked by the team manager were not very clear. Things like "If I have multiple sensors that track position on a car (i.e. gyroscope, navigation, etc.) what's the purpose of having them all versus just one or two?" Sensible question, just very vague.

Interview Questions

• What is a semaphore, and what is a mutex?
      How does a GPS work?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Submitted an application online, about a month later I received an email for an HR screen and then a technical interview. Recruiter was incredibly kind and energetic. The technical interview was conducted via Skype with two senior engineers.

Interview Questions

• A series of one-answer technical questions. What does final next to a method mean in Java? How many numbers can be represented by an 8-bit number, etc. Then given a code sample and asked what it was supposed to do and what were its errors.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewing process was pretty good! I first had a phone screen with an HR representative that was mostly just looking over my resume and answering very basic technical questions (what's a pointer?). I got invited to do a hour-and-a-half long Skype interview with the hiring manager, where the interview was half behavioral and half technical. The interviews were great, and HR was very timely during the whole process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The entire interview process was very fast. I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted by a recruiter approximately a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was the typical behavioral interview with one or two basic technical questions. The interviewer was extremely nice and helped make the experience enjoyable. After one more week, I set up a Skype interview with three Garmin engineers who asked me technical questions related to my past experiences and a few brainteasers.

Interview Questions

• You are given a basket of weights all weighing the same except for two. How would you go about identifying the two weights that are different? What is the asymptotic runtime of your algorithm?   Answer Question