Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Dec 8, 2017

2.8

IOS Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The job interview was for an iOS development position.

After two calls with an internal recruiter, I traveled to Garmin at my own expense. The office was empty at 10am on a Tuesday, which was a bit off putting. I had a chat with a manager and an electrical engineer. Both talks went well.

After speaking with the manager and EE, I had the "technical interview," which I was not expecting given the higher level talks with the recruiter and manager. For this I was set up in an empty conference room with a PC about eight years old. The iOS people were not located in this office, they were in Glendale, Arizona. The interview was conducted over Skype with a broken web cam. The interviewer could see me but I could not see them. The questions were typical iOS questions from one of the various lists about "how to interview an iOS developer" you can find via google. What's a delegate, what's a protocol, etc.

I kind of zoned out and answered the questions with the expected answers. Then the interviewer asked a few typical coding problems. I was to type the answer into Notepad while he screen shared with me. At this point I was relatively upset about the interview process. I did not get an offer or much of a follow up and I keep seeing the job re-listed on LinkedIn.

I'm rating the experience negatively because the recruiter implied this was a higher level position not something where I would be doing a basic iOS quiz. However, I understand the need to technically screen all applicants. Garmin really needs to do a better job. When hiring an iOS dev you need to have at least one Mac in the office. The technical part of the interview should be done with technical people in person, not over the phone. Especially if you bring the person into the office. Having someone come in and then interview with someone who isn't even there, using broken equipment, is extremely rude.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in July 2017.

Interview

Friendly phone interview that lasted about 40 minutes. Basic questions about interest in Garmin were asked. Some random technical questions about software were asked. I was able to provide an answer to all of them. I had zero expectation of a job offer and only decided to do a phone interview to practice my interview skills. I've learned long ago that phone screens with technical recruiters were usually a waste of time. All job offers I've ever had in my life were when I was initially contacted by the hiring manager and not HR or a technical recruiter for a "phone interview".

What job seekers do not realize is that Garmin hires H1Bs for cheap engineering labor. To hire H1Bs, companies need to be able to provide some kind of evidence that they cannot find any candidates at all that meet their needs or skill requirements. The tactics they use is to either have a long extensive list of various skill requirements in their job ads that nobody can possibly possess all at once and/or when they conduct interviews they simply ask random technical questions where either the candidate might not have an answer to or an answer that the recruiter can pick apart and say that your answer just didn't sound competent. It's a simple legal tactic for a company to manipulate the system and make claims that they cannot find an American engineer that meets their skill requirements.

My advice is to do just what I did. Interview with them for practice and with zero expectation of an offer or second interview. Write down their questions as they are being asked, and then use those for continual practice to interview for the next company that is actually looking for American labor. Believe me, if all H1Bs and outsourced labor in the STEM fields were banned, you'd see wages in the engineering fields literally double overnight, and finding work would be a matter of picking which company is offering the highest sign on bonus.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary requirements?   2 Answers

Industrial Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I found out about the job on linked in, and then sent in my portfolio and resume via email to their HR/weblink. I received a response asking for a phone interview. That seemed to go alright, but they chose another candidate. Overall, a good experience talking to this company.

Interview Questions

• Did I have experience managing others.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Submitted resume online. Received an email, was asked several immegration questions, and then I was rejected by no reason. I have no idea what is the issue. And I just being rejected.

Interview Questions

• Some personal things (EAD card information, and H1-B stuff)   Answer Question

Configuration Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2017.

Interview

About two weeks after applying online on the Garmin website I was called by a recruiter who set-up a phone interview, which took place two days later. The phone interview was a basic screening call with a member from the HR department. There were questions that you would encounter in a basic interview about strengths, weaknesses, greatest challenge, resolving conflicts, etc. There was some technical questions that mostly focused on explaining basic programming concepts, much like on a test or quiz from college classes. Lastly, I was asked if I had any other offers from other companies.

About a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to schedule an on-site interview at Garmin in Olathe, Kansas. It was also requested of me to provide my latest performance review documents from my current employer, as well as two references.

The on-site interview lasted 2.5 hours and consisted of three parts; an HR interview, a technical interview, and a tour. The HR interview was with the same person who performed my phone interview and spent most of the time explaining to me how the benefits work, and asking if I had any questions about the benefits programs. This interview lasted about 30 minutes.

The technical interview was with three software developers; one was a manager, and the other two worked under the manager. This interview lasted about 1.5 hours and consisted of several questions, the important ones I have listed in the Interview Questions portion. In addition to the questions I listed, there were multiple programming concept questions, similar to the ones asked during the phone interview.

Something very important to note is that Garmin uses only C++ and not any other languages. When they asked my language set, I listed the 8 to 10 that I use in my current job, and the Garmin developers were not familiar with any of them (they only knew C++). Yet, they were adamant that I prove my proficiency in OOP, specifically C++, and were not concerned with much else. It gave the appearance, to me, that the software development at Garmin might be behind the times, and not moving forward with the industry.

After the technical interview was a tour of the campus that lasted about 30 minutes, after which I was dismissed. The building is very old with low lighting, and most offices are in the middle of the buildings without windows. There are often 3 to 4 employees sharing a small interior office. It was not very inviting.

I hope this experiences and observation is helpful to others.

Interview Questions

• What is multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever coded for multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Are what are the advantages and disadvantages with multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • How familiar are you with C++ or other object oriented programming languages?   Answer Question
    • What is wrong with this code, and how can you improve it?
      (I was then handed a printed code block and handed a pen.)   Answer Question
    • Describe your latest programming project (you may draw on a white board if needed).   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Garmin?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • What programming languages are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Phone interview with technical recruiter. Do not care for impersonal, phone type interviews. One good thing, though, is that if you aren't selected, they tell you, unlike many companies these days.

Interview Questions

• How much C++ experience do you have.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, two weeks later a recruiter called to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was 45 minutes, interviewer was nice, and it was just a standard behavorial interview. Interviewer said they would follow up in a week and that there would be another interview if I was selected. Got a rejection email a week after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself. Why did I choose to be a Mechanical Engineer? How well do I get along with other majors? Strengths/Weaknesses? Long-term Plans? The rest was questions about content on my resume.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Had a phone screen then was asked to come in and take a test about general knowledge of electronics. If you do well on the test then you interview with a supervisor and go over basic duties. Once you get through that you will get a tour of the manufacturing floor

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

2 initial phone interviews followed by 2 meetings in Olathe.
    Interviewing team was very thorough, asking many relevant questions about previous experience. On site interview included a product presentation, given a few days prior to the interview. Follow up questions on more in depth pertaining to the overall industry knowledge and position requirements. HR and Aviation team were present. Very open discussion. Post interview follow up took some time, but overall experience was very positive.

Aviation Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

After about three weeks after I applied Garmin recruiter contacted me regarding a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and was purely to expound on your resume. No real interview questions. The phone interview is simply about making sure you are courteous and professional over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about Garmin and What do you know about Garmin.   Answer Question