Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone screen within 2 weeks of applying online, in-person interview within 3 weeks of phone screen, offer within 1 week of interview. HR is very well organized and pleasant to work with. Met with management team and other leaders to get a good feel for the culture and people fit.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral, understand requirements and translate to logic in code.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Initial Phone Interview with HR mostly behavioral questions, with some technical questions.
    On-Site Interview with Manager, and then some members of the team. The technical questions mostly derived from the previous projects I have worked on and what basic skills I had.

Interview Questions

• Previous Projects, Coursework, Attempting to meet a deadline on a project, Reacting to feedback   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Digital Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Lenexa, KS) in October 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via email about a week or two after I applied. There was a phone interview with a recruiter, then we set up an on-site interview about a week later. I was told that they usually only do one on-site interview before deciding on a candidate.

I felt the interview went very well, but I got a rejection letter several days later with a vague explanation that wasn't useful. I followed up with a thank you email requesting additional feedback, but heard nothing.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to design size variations for a digital banner?   1 Answer

Cartography Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in October 2016.

Interview

The process took 4 weeks, and you have to wait for quiet a long time to receive the response, I would definitely accept this offer if Garmin can process their work faster because as a job seeker you really want the offer come to you as quickly as possible, but the HR are nice and questions were easy. Basic knowledge and general questions. If you do your homework you should be able to answer.

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

First, when working on a time to schedule the interview, the HR coordinator only gave me one time slot. I could not make that one time, as I was working and had other client conflicts. I then gave them very wide ranges of times when I was available - again, they offered one time slot that was not within my availability. When we finally decided on a time, I arrived and waited about ten minutes after my scheduled time for the HR team to greet me. We chatted for about ten minutes and then she assured me the other members would be along in the next five minutes or so. Forty-five minutes later, one of the two members showed up, asked me very few questions and then walked me out. I felt as if they had already chosen a candidate; which would have been fine, but I took a half day off of work to accommodate the interview. It was all very disrespectful of a candidate's time. Didn't love this process at all.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a campaign you managed.
      Asked about overall experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

Got an email from an HR coordinator to schedule an 30 min interview with senior HR person. HR person went over resume, asked a few additional questions, and promised to forward resume to hiring managers. Was contacted for an onsite interview the next day. The onsite interview was with a panel of several interested hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Write an ascii to int converter function on a white board.   1 Answer
    • Why are you leaving your current job?
      Why do you want to work for Garmin?
      What do you make now? What do you want to make at Garmin?
      What do you know about Garmin?   Answer Question
    • What are the basic OOP concepts?   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Manhattan, KS) in September 2016.

Interview

One in person interview, one phone interview. Process took a couple months, not too bad. It helps to have design experience, they like if you can talk about one of your previous projects and explain it in great depth.

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Met at university job fair. Had a phone interview that discussed past experience and interests. Also discussed what I expected in a job. Was flown out for onsite interview several weeks later. Was given a tour and was interviewed by a panel of 3. I was asked to describe past projects I had worked on and then quizzed on some circuit problems.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to solve some basic circuit analysis and digital logic questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Garmin in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, three months later received e-mail to schedule a phone interview. Walked through my resume with me and asked a few technical questions. Had interviewed other students from my college and discussed some of the same projects I worked on.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between Overriding a function and Overloading a function.   1 Answer

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR).

Interview

I found out they were hiring through a job fair at my university. There was a phone interview that was relatively informal, it was moreso to gauge your personality. The actual interview itself was roughly an hour and a half long, and mine was all situational questions. The interviewers were really patient with me, as that's the first interview I had that was longer than 20 minutes. They gave me a job offer immediately following the interview, and correspondence was very quick before and after the interview via email.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time that you disagreed with your supervisor, and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time that a customer was (paraphrasing) a troublemaker, and what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you showed others (paraphrasing) what you are capable of, and why it showed them.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to make an important decision, and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It's a seasonal position, so there wasn't really any negotiations. They can call you back the following year if you don't screw up, and they might offer full time positions after the seasonal period.