Garmin Interview Questions in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

2.8

123 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

The interview process was great! The interviewers was very professional, the questions were not difficult, we even laughed and had fun. Overall one of the more relaxed interviews I have ever had.

HR Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview, met panel of peers, very informal conversations, they asked who i knew at garmin. Helps to know someone who foes work there. Also if you are mechanical, have engineering or avionics experience that impresses them.

Interview Questions

• Do you mind flying on small planes to visit smaller colleges to hold recruiting trips   1 Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in September 2017.

Interview

I received an email requesting a phone interview with an HR person. The interview was pretty basic "get to know you" kind of questions. The next step was an online Skype interview with two team leads. They asked about my internship experience and there were a bunch of technical questions. The technical questions seemed to be mostly C based which seemed weird because I didn't have C listed on my resume and explained during the HR interview that I was most comfortable with Java and web based languages.

Interview Questions

• Internship experience. Have you worked with embedded systems? Buffer overflows. Multi-threading. Semaphores. Structs. Etc...   Answer Question

Bilingual Product Support Especialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Lenexa, KS) in August 2017.

Interview

So you get phone interview and then I waited a week to get a face to face interview. Another week till the interview date arrived. I had two interview one in Spanish with written test then the supervisor of the area took me to the send part of the interview in English. The Spanish portion was about 15-30 mins long plus + 10 mins of the test. Second interview was 30-50 mins long. They asked multiple question about my self, experience and previous jobs. The interview setting was very formal, hard to connect with the people interviewing me since they were looking at there laptop and typing everything I said. For a moment I felt that I was getting interview for a higher position than a customer service presentative. Then one of the supervisor asked if I could stay little longer to shadow someone, I agree to stay but I wasn't expecting to spend nearly 3 hours between interview and shadowing someone.

I was able to talk to the person taking calls and he was saying of inefficient is the systems for the bilingual people, that they had to know the entire like of product.
    They use multiple systems to get the answered or take payment, convert prices to Mexican pesos or other. The place is outdated as well as the equipment been used and almost empty.
    Garmin has good benefits but there isn't a lot of advancement within the company so if you are looking on been in the same position forever this is a good place for you.

Got a job offer but Rejected for how much training, product knowledge I needed and the little time to get that knowledge, plus money was not what I expected for the Amount of thing to be done.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in July 2017.

Interview

Friendly phone interview that lasted about 40 minutes. Basic questions about interest in Garmin were asked. Some random technical questions about software were asked. I was able to provide an answer to all of them. I had zero expectation of a job offer and only decided to do a phone interview to practice my interview skills. I've learned long ago that phone screens with technical recruiters were usually a waste of time. All job offers I've ever had in my life were when I was initially contacted by the hiring manager and not HR or a technical recruiter for a "phone interview".

What job seekers do not realize is that Garmin hires H1Bs for cheap engineering labor. To hire H1Bs, companies need to be able to provide some kind of evidence that they cannot find any candidates at all that meet their needs or skill requirements. The tactics they use is to either have a long extensive list of various skill requirements in their job ads that nobody can possibly possess all at once and/or when they conduct interviews they simply ask random technical questions where either the candidate might not have an answer to or an answer that the recruiter can pick apart and say that your answer just didn't sound competent. It's a simple legal tactic for a company to manipulate the system and make claims that they cannot find an American engineer that meets their skill requirements.

My advice is to do just what I did. Interview with them for practice and with zero expectation of an offer or second interview. Write down their questions as they are being asked, and then use those for continual practice to interview for the next company that is actually looking for American labor. Believe me, if all H1Bs and outsourced labor in the STEM fields were banned, you'd see wages in the engineering fields literally double overnight, and finding work would be a matter of picking which company is offering the highest sign on bonus.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary requirements?   2 Answers

Configuration Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2017.

Interview

About two weeks after applying online on the Garmin website I was called by a recruiter who set-up a phone interview, which took place two days later. The phone interview was a basic screening call with a member from the HR department. There were questions that you would encounter in a basic interview about strengths, weaknesses, greatest challenge, resolving conflicts, etc. There was some technical questions that mostly focused on explaining basic programming concepts, much like on a test or quiz from college classes. Lastly, I was asked if I had any other offers from other companies.

About a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to schedule an on-site interview at Garmin in Olathe, Kansas. It was also requested of me to provide my latest performance review documents from my current employer, as well as two references.

The on-site interview lasted 2.5 hours and consisted of three parts; an HR interview, a technical interview, and a tour. The HR interview was with the same person who performed my phone interview and spent most of the time explaining to me how the benefits work, and asking if I had any questions about the benefits programs. This interview lasted about 30 minutes.

The technical interview was with three software developers; one was a manager, and the other two worked under the manager. This interview lasted about 1.5 hours and consisted of several questions, the important ones I have listed in the Interview Questions portion. In addition to the questions I listed, there were multiple programming concept questions, similar to the ones asked during the phone interview.

Something very important to note is that Garmin uses only C++ and not any other languages. When they asked my language set, I listed the 8 to 10 that I use in my current job, and the Garmin developers were not familiar with any of them (they only knew C++). Yet, they were adamant that I prove my proficiency in OOP, specifically C++, and were not concerned with much else. It gave the appearance, to me, that the software development at Garmin might be behind the times, and not moving forward with the industry.

After the technical interview was a tour of the campus that lasted about 30 minutes, after which I was dismissed. The building is very old with low lighting, and most offices are in the middle of the buildings without windows. There are often 3 to 4 employees sharing a small interior office. It was not very inviting.

I hope this experiences and observation is helpful to others.

Interview Questions

• What is multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever coded for multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Are what are the advantages and disadvantages with multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • How familiar are you with C++ or other object oriented programming languages?   Answer Question
    • What is wrong with this code, and how can you improve it?
      (I was then handed a printed code block and handed a pen.)   Answer Question
    • Describe your latest programming project (you may draw on a white board if needed).   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Garmin?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • What programming languages are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, two weeks later a recruiter called to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was 45 minutes, interviewer was nice, and it was just a standard behavorial interview. Interviewer said they would follow up in a week and that there would be another interview if I was selected. Got a rejection email a week after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself. Why did I choose to be a Mechanical Engineer? How well do I get along with other majors? Strengths/Weaknesses? Long-term Plans? The rest was questions about content on my resume.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

2 initial phone interviews followed by 2 meetings in Olathe.
    Interviewing team was very thorough, asking many relevant questions about previous experience. On site interview included a product presentation, given a few days prior to the interview. Follow up questions on more in depth pertaining to the overall industry knowledge and position requirements. HR and Aviation team were present. Very open discussion. Post interview follow up took some time, but overall experience was very positive.

Aviation Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

After about three weeks after I applied Garmin recruiter contacted me regarding a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and was purely to expound on your resume. No real interview questions. The phone interview is simply about making sure you are courteous and professional over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about Garmin and What do you know about Garmin.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

First got a phone interview regarding behavioral skills. After that it was a technical interview. Asked about C++ an different concepts known in C++ programming. Also asked about personal coding projects and experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you'd use a pointer to a pointer.   1 Answer