Garmin Interview Questions in Olathe, KS | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.7

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the Garmin site. About a month later I got a call from their HR recruiter and scheduled an interview for the next day, The interview was with the Technical Recruiter and the supervisor/manager of the department with the opening. They were friendly and showed genuine interest in me as an applicant...making me feel comfortable in answering their questions about my skills and work experience. Probably the best interview I ever experienced...whether I get the job or not.

Interview Questions

• What didn't I like about my current job...where I employ skills they are looking for.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in January 2017.

Interview

First was a short phone interview asking some basic questions about my background, resume items, and personality questions. Had a Skype interview (since I'm not located near their headquarters) a few weeks later with a few team leaders within Garmin. They asked more specifically about resume items, basic programming questions, and gave me a code exercise. For the exercise, they gave me a function (in C) and asked me to walk through the code and determine its purpose and a few potential flaws with the code. I was expecting an in-person interview as well, but to my surprise they called with an offer a few days after the Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• What would a former supervisor or teacher say are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • What is a strength and weakness of yours as each a team member and a team leader?   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

First Got the initial screening, they asked some simple background and behavioral question. Talked about why I left my previous offices. They then talked about how the process will go from there. After some time, I got mail that I would have technical skype interview with two of their Software engineers. On skype, though only one showed up, I was fine with it, easier. the technical interview was easy, basic technical questions. Since it had been a long time since I actually coded I couldn't answer some questions. But it was fine, the interviewer was a cool guy, smiled, made me feel comfortable and provided me the answers when I was wrong or missed something. All the question were derived from the CV I sent them. It was a good experience and interview. It was mostly my fault that I didn't get an offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online to an opening on company website. Received a phone call from HR about a week later, wanting to do a behavioral interview. Behavioral interview was over the phone, and contained several generic questions about my background and why I want to work for Garmin. At the end of the behavioral interview there were a few basic technical questions, mostly conceptual stuff. The following day, HR called me again to set up another phone interview, this time technical. The interview was with an Engineering team manager. He gave me a rundown of his background and what he does, then asked me about my projects, resume, education for a little while. Then he asked me a simple coding question and some follow-up questions about that. Finally, I was able to ask him some questions and that was that. The technical interview went well, I thought, and I expected to hear back for a third, in-person interview. I had gotten all the technical questions right and hadn't said anything too strange or out of place with the behavioral questions. However, I received an email a week or so later saying that I wouldn't get a third interview. No other explanation was given, which was pretty frustrating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2016.

Interview

Initial Phone Interview with HR mostly behavioral questions, with some technical questions.
    On-Site Interview with Manager, and then some members of the team. The technical questions mostly derived from the previous projects I have worked on and what basic skills I had.

Interview Questions

• Previous Projects, Coursework, Attempting to meet a deadline on a project, Reacting to feedback   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process took 4+ weeks. I applied online and within a week a recruiter called me to set up a phone interview.

Phone interview: They go through basic screening and few questions about resume. They also ask you one or two technical questions like What is the difference between overloading and overriding? They told me to tell the result in 2 weeks and exactly after 2 weeks they sent me an email saying I'm invited onsite for face to face interview.

On-site interview: Onsite interview was scheduled with three different people. They were not the same people in the confirmation email they sent. One manager canceled on me and they let me go earlier without the third interview. The first part is with HR. They explain you the benefits and other stuffs. The second part was behavioral. They asked all sort of situational questions like "what are your strengths and weakness" The third part is technical. There is where I learnt that the company is more inclined towards bookish knowledge. I prepared the technical part writing code on white paper, but it was a complete shock that they asked all the questions (some 40 questions) that only checks if you know the material. They didn't check my analytical skills. Anyone fresh out of college can easily crack this interview. The interview is very very easy, but I didn't crack it because I didn't expect the interview to be like this. Not one question on coding.

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between java and javascript
      what is function overloading and function overriding
      what is Polymorphism
      what is the difference between abstract class and interface
      what is the difference between hashmap and hashtable
      what is the pass by value and pass by reference
      what is normalization
      Can a constructor have a return value
      Memory management in java
      explain MVC
      Do you know any team foundation server like svn, if so how would you merge your code?
      Do you know Maven
      Do you know Spring
      Do you know github, if so when did u use it?
      Explain private, protected, public nature.
      what is a virtual function
      Answer Question

OEM Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in May 2016.

Interview

Was first called by an HR Admin and interviewed for about 10 minutes. She then set up a follow-up interview with the HR manager which lasted about 30 minutes. She was very much interested in past management positions, the number of people that I'd managed on one team, my management style, past problems with employees and how I resolved them.

Interview Questions

• Describe your management style.   1 Answer

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

A week or 2 after I applied, I received a telephone interview with a supervisor. About 2 weeks later I was called to set up a face to face interview with 2 supervisors and a separate one with HR. I interviewed with the 2 supervisors. Then I was sat at a computer and asked to use the information on the company website to write a mock e-mail response to a customer question they had composed regarding a unit the company manufactured.

Interview Questions

• Name a time an customer had an issue and how did you handle it.   1 Answer

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in March 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview, approx 30 minutes. Subsequent formal interview with two individuals, then a tour of the facilities. I did not listen into any calls, but that may be because I have a great deal of experience doing this kind of work.
    I was assured that they would be calling either way, but have not yet heard from anyone at all. It's been about 1.5 weeks, so I just sent an inquiry email...

Interview Questions

• Describe your greatest strength.
      Describe your greatest shortcoming.
      Describe a recent time when you had a technical problem, and how you solved it.
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      What would your former employers say about you? Why?
      Why did you choose Garmin?

Answer Question

SEO Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in October 2015.

Interview

Very weird. I've interviewed at a variety of tech companies and so situational, behavioral and experience related questions are the norm. I've interviewed at Garmin twice and I think they need to train the managers on how to interview candidates. Strange experience and makes me concerned for the future of the company if they don't do any kind of experiential questioning during the interview and seemingly make decisions based on gut or whether they like the interviewee. Then no communication from the recruiter or HR department at all after the interview despite being told they would let me know in a couple of days, very unprofessional and seems uncoordinated.