Garmin Position In A New Design Department Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.8

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

2 initial phone interviews followed by 2 meetings in Olathe.
Interviewing team was very thorough, asking many relevant questions about previous experience. On site interview included a product presentation, given a few days prior to the interview. Follow up questions on more in depth pertaining to the overall industry knowledge and position requirements. HR and Aviation team were present. Very open discussion. Post interview follow up took some time, but overall experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Electronics Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Had a phone screen then was asked to come in and take a test about general knowledge of electronics. If you do well on the test then you interview with a supervisor and go over basic duties. Once you get through that you will get a tour of the manufacturing floor

Aviation Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

After about three weeks after I applied Garmin recruiter contacted me regarding a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and was purely to expound on your resume. No real interview questions. The phone interview is simply about making sure you are courteous and professional over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about Garmin and What do you know about Garmin.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter to schedule time. I replied promptly, but they did not reply until over 1 week later. As a result, I had to provide additional availability for the following week. We finally schedule something. Come interview time and they do cancel last minute. They contact me again for additional availability. I provide them with times again. No reply for over 3 weeks now. I'm just going to assume this isn't going anywhere. Out of all my 40+ interviews, I have never experienced such unprofessionalism. Pretty disappointed, especially from a company with such a big name.

Interview Questions

Garmin Response

Feb 27, 2017 – University Relations Team Leader

I'm sorry to hear this... please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will investigate what happened. My sincerest apologies as this is not a great representation of our normal process and I ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online through my school's website and received an email for an interview within a week. The interview consisted of questions about the various classes I had taken before the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you optimize a database?   Answer Question
    • 2. What is the difference between a vector and a linked list?   Answer Question
    • 3. What are linked lists, vectors and binary search trees optimized for?   Answer Question
    • 4. What is the big O of finding an element in a vector and in a linked list?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

First got a phone interview regarding behavioral skills. After that it was a technical interview. Asked about C++ an different concepts known in C++ programming. Also asked about personal coding projects and experience.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in March 2017.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a career fair for my university and we hit it off. I expressed interest in the position he showed me and I was contacted a few weeks later to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview mostly consisted of general HR questions, questions about my past projects, working in a team, etc. There was a brief technical portion that asked some basic C questions (how to declare a pointer, difference between semaphore/mutex, explain the difference between stack and heap). A week later I was called and set up an onsite interview, where Garmin paid for everything during the trip (flight, hotel, food).

The onsite interview started at 9am and went until 1pm. There were 5 back to back interviews.
    First I met with the engineering lead. We discussed Garmin as a whole, why I want to work for Garmin, etc. Nothing technical.
    Secondly, I met with another engineering lead who asked me similar questions to the first interview, but also asked about my past projects, past engineering experience, the types of projects at Garmin.
    Next I met with HR who asked me some HR scenarios (what was a time your ethics were challenged, how did you approach it?; what was a time you had a conflict in a team setting? how did you handle it?).
    Fourthly, I met with two software team leads, who asked me exclusively technical questions. The first half of the interview was all rapid fire C questions (what is a thread? what is meant by thread-safe?; what does the volatile keyword mean?; what is an enum?; what is a macro? when is it used?; when would you pass a pointer to a variable rather than the variable itself?). The second half was a coding question in three parts. First, I had to read a series of engineering specifications for what the code shall do, and tell the interviewers my answer. They were simple specifications, but worded rather poorly and took me longer than it should have to identify the specifications. Secondly, I had to describe the testing procedure for my code. Thirdly, I had to implement the code.
    The last interview was at lunch with another engineering lead. We discussed my past experience, various coding platforms I have used. Overall pretty similar to the second interview.

Overall the interview was very pleasant, and everyone I talked to was nice and helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Durham, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online via my college's career site. Heard back within a few days with a phone screening. Interviewer was quite friendly and asked various behavioral questions along with some resume questions. After about a week and half, was contacted for a technical (over phone). Technical was straight forward. Theory questions were based off of classes taken or languages studied. I had 2 coding questions which were quite simple and only had to be done in pseudo code.

Interview Questions

• Given a value, print out the change equivalent.   Answer Question
    • What type of development do you prefer (front end, backend, etc)?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The entire interview process was very fast. I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted by a recruiter approximately a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was the typical behavioral interview with one or two basic technical questions. The interviewer was extremely nice and helped make the experience enjoyable. After one more week, I set up a Skype interview with three Garmin engineers who asked me technical questions related to my past experiences and a few brainteasers.

Interview Questions

• You are given a basket of weights all weighing the same except for two. How would you go about identifying the two weights that are different? What is the asymptotic runtime of your algorithm?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was given an initial phone screening from HR then a technical interview from a team manager. The experience was fine, overall, although I will say that some of the questions asked by the team manager were not very clear. Things like "If I have multiple sensors that track position on a car (i.e. gyroscope, navigation, etc.) what's the purpose of having them all versus just one or two?" Sensible question, just very vague.

Interview Questions

• What is a semaphore, and what is a mutex?
      How does a GPS work?