Garmin Interview Questions in Salem, OR | Glassdoor

2.7

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Aviation Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied for the position online; phone screened 10 days later, onsite interview about 2 weeks later.

The phone screening was performed by HR staff, but including some easy coding questions.
    Onsite interview consisted of 5 sessions, the first session was with HR staff, then systems engineering manager, the director of Engineering, tech lead along with software manager, and last one was lunch with another engineering manager.

It was a good experience and I was exposed to the facility where there is a hangar with some aircraft for testing.

The work environment seems a little layback and people were nice.

Interview Questions

• Design a system and code for a situation for various aircraft   Answer Question
    • Some basic C and embedded systems related questions (reentrants, multitasking, etc.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in March 2017.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a career fair for my university and we hit it off. I expressed interest in the position he showed me and I was contacted a few weeks later to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview mostly consisted of general HR questions, questions about my past projects, working in a team, etc. There was a brief technical portion that asked some basic C questions (how to declare a pointer, difference between semaphore/mutex, explain the difference between stack and heap). A week later I was called and set up an onsite interview, where Garmin paid for everything during the trip (flight, hotel, food).

The onsite interview started at 9am and went until 1pm. There were 5 back to back interviews.
    First I met with the engineering lead. We discussed Garmin as a whole, why I want to work for Garmin, etc. Nothing technical.
    Secondly, I met with another engineering lead who asked me similar questions to the first interview, but also asked about my past projects, past engineering experience, the types of projects at Garmin.
    Next I met with HR who asked me some HR scenarios (what was a time your ethics were challenged, how did you approach it?; what was a time you had a conflict in a team setting? how did you handle it?).
    Fourthly, I met with two software team leads, who asked me exclusively technical questions. The first half of the interview was all rapid fire C questions (what is a thread? what is meant by thread-safe?; what does the volatile keyword mean?; what is an enum?; what is a macro? when is it used?; when would you pass a pointer to a variable rather than the variable itself?). The second half was a coding question in three parts. First, I had to read a series of engineering specifications for what the code shall do, and tell the interviewers my answer. They were simple specifications, but worded rather poorly and took me longer than it should have to identify the specifications. Secondly, I had to describe the testing procedure for my code. Thirdly, I had to implement the code.
    The last interview was at lunch with another engineering lead. We discussed my past experience, various coding platforms I have used. Overall pretty similar to the second interview.

Overall the interview was very pleasant, and everyone I talked to was nice and helpful.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied for an open position in Software Engineering after attending a career fair at the university I graduated from. About a month later I was called to set up a phone interview. The process in setting it up was very smooth. The interview was set to last 60 minutes, and we took most of that time. The recruiter had various background and technical questions with programming languages they used, but mostly with C. They described some about the company and the campus, as well as the atmosphere of the work environment. They were happy to answer any questions I had about the position. Overall, speaking to the recruiter was very pleasant. After closing, they said they would give me a response within the week and wished me luck, but I didn't hear back.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between heap and stack memory?   Answer Question
    • What experience have you had with software development and testing?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone screen within 2 weeks of applying online, in-person interview within 3 weeks of phone screen, offer within 1 week of interview. HR is very well organized and pleasant to work with. Met with management team and other leaders to get a good feel for the culture and people fit.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral, understand requirements and translate to logic in code.   Answer Question

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR).

Interview

I found out they were hiring through a job fair at my university. There was a phone interview that was relatively informal, it was moreso to gauge your personality. The actual interview itself was roughly an hour and a half long, and mine was all situational questions. The interviewers were really patient with me, as that's the first interview I had that was longer than 20 minutes. They gave me a job offer immediately following the interview, and correspondence was very quick before and after the interview via email.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time that you disagreed with your supervisor, and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time that a customer was (paraphrasing) a troublemaker, and what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you showed others (paraphrasing) what you are capable of, and why it showed them.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to make an important decision, and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It's a seasonal position, so there wasn't really any negotiations. They can call you back the following year if you don't screw up, and they might offer full time positions after the seasonal period.

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview lasted about 45 minutes. Be careful how you answer your questions as the person who interviewed me took what I said out of context. When asked my favorite part of my last job I advised that since I worked from home I enjoyed that I was not micromanaged and that it allowed me to flourish creatively. At the end of the interview he summarized that I do not like to be managed and that I do not enjoy working as a team. I am not sure how he got that out of what I said so it is obviously a diluted interview process.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you would do if someone calls you with an error code.   1 Answer

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in December 2013.

Interview

HR took about five weeks to respond to my online application, but phone and subsequent onsite interviews were scheduled and conducted promptly. Phone interview was conducted with an HR rep in Kansas, onsite interview conducted with two supervisors in the room and a Kansas HR rep over conference phone. Interview process was fairly boilerplate, asking about one's work history, troubleshooting abilities and critical thinking skills. Candidate is generally seated for a ridealong with a current employee to listen in on their calls at the conclusion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most challenging technical challenge you've encountered and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Aviation Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied and got a phone call about 3 weeks later. Scheduled a phone interview for the next week. I heard back from them with the next week by email.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. The interview was just gathering basic information about knowledge in different languages.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied for the position online and received a call to schedule a phone call interview. The phone call was between myself and 2 other persons at Garmin - a department head and an HR member. The questions were typical of an engineering position, and towards the end I was able to get clarification on the type of tasks and daily routine. In the end, the position was not a good fit (unless you are applying for a fairly senior level position you are first placed into a sustaining role for at least a year or two, and then can continue on to design). They were very understanding of my decisions to discontinue to the interviewing process and were not frustrated or viewed myself as wasting their time.

Interview Questions

• What experience did I have with sustaining engineering.   1 Answer

Aircraft Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in June 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the engineering staff and it went really well, they were very kind people and are flying me up for a full interview face to face. Looking forward to being apart of the company.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any job offers?   1 Answer