Garmin Interview Questions in Salem, OR | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 18, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied for an open position in Software Engineering after attending a career fair at the university I graduated from. About a month later I was called to set up a phone interview. The process in setting it up was very smooth. The interview was set to last 60 minutes, and we took most of that time. The recruiter had various background and technical questions with programming languages they used, but mostly with C. They described some about the company and the campus, as well as the atmosphere of the work environment. They were happy to answer any questions I had about the position. Overall, speaking to the recruiter was very pleasant. After closing, they said they would give me a response within the week and wished me luck, but I didn't hear back.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between heap and stack memory?   Answer Question
    • What experience have you had with software development and testing?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone screen within 2 weeks of applying online, in-person interview within 3 weeks of phone screen, offer within 1 week of interview. HR is very well organized and pleasant to work with. Met with management team and other leaders to get a good feel for the culture and people fit.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral, understand requirements and translate to logic in code.   Answer Question

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR).

Interview

I found out they were hiring through a job fair at my university. There was a phone interview that was relatively informal, it was moreso to gauge your personality. The actual interview itself was roughly an hour and a half long, and mine was all situational questions. The interviewers were really patient with me, as that's the first interview I had that was longer than 20 minutes. They gave me a job offer immediately following the interview, and correspondence was very quick before and after the interview via email.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time that you disagreed with your supervisor, and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time that a customer was (paraphrasing) a troublemaker, and what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you showed others (paraphrasing) what you are capable of, and why it showed them.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to make an important decision, and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It's a seasonal position, so there wasn't really any negotiations. They can call you back the following year if you don't screw up, and they might offer full time positions after the seasonal period.

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview lasted about 45 minutes. Be careful how you answer your questions as the person who interviewed me took what I said out of context. When asked my favorite part of my last job I advised that since I worked from home I enjoyed that I was not micromanaged and that it allowed me to flourish creatively. At the end of the interview he summarized that I do not like to be managed and that I do not enjoy working as a team. I am not sure how he got that out of what I said so it is obviously a diluted interview process.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you would do if someone calls you with an error code.   1 Answer

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in December 2013.

Interview

HR took about five weeks to respond to my online application, but phone and subsequent onsite interviews were scheduled and conducted promptly. Phone interview was conducted with an HR rep in Kansas, onsite interview conducted with two supervisors in the room and a Kansas HR rep over conference phone. Interview process was fairly boilerplate, asking about one's work history, troubleshooting abilities and critical thinking skills. Candidate is generally seated for a ridealong with a current employee to listen in on their calls at the conclusion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most challenging technical challenge you've encountered and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Aviation Systems/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied and got a phone call about 3 weeks later. Scheduled a phone interview for the next week. I heard back from them with the next week by email.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. The interview was just gathering basic information about knowledge in different languages.   Answer Question

Aircraft Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in June 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the engineering staff and it went really well, they were very kind people and are flying me up for a full interview face to face. Looking forward to being apart of the company.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any job offers?   1 Answer