Garmin Software Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Garmin Software Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Nov 7, 2017

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in September 2017.

Interview

I received an email requesting a phone interview with an HR person. The interview was pretty basic "get to know you" kind of questions. The next step was an online Skype interview with two team leads. They asked about my internship experience and there were a bunch of technical questions. The technical questions seemed to be mostly C based which seemed weird because I didn't have C listed on my resume and explained during the HR interview that I was most comfortable with Java and web based languages.

Interview Questions

• Internship experience. Have you worked with embedded systems? Buffer overflows. Multi-threading. Semaphores. Structs. Etc...   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in March 2017.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a career fair for my university and we hit it off. I expressed interest in the position he showed me and I was contacted a few weeks later to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview mostly consisted of general HR questions, questions about my past projects, working in a team, etc. There was a brief technical portion that asked some basic C questions (how to declare a pointer, difference between semaphore/mutex, explain the difference between stack and heap). A week later I was called and set up an onsite interview, where Garmin paid for everything during the trip (flight, hotel, food).

The onsite interview started at 9am and went until 1pm. There were 5 back to back interviews.
    First I met with the engineering lead. We discussed Garmin as a whole, why I want to work for Garmin, etc. Nothing technical.
    Secondly, I met with another engineering lead who asked me similar questions to the first interview, but also asked about my past projects, past engineering experience, the types of projects at Garmin.
    Next I met with HR who asked me some HR scenarios (what was a time your ethics were challenged, how did you approach it?; what was a time you had a conflict in a team setting? how did you handle it?).
    Fourthly, I met with two software team leads, who asked me exclusively technical questions. The first half of the interview was all rapid fire C questions (what is a thread? what is meant by thread-safe?; what does the volatile keyword mean?; what is an enum?; what is a macro? when is it used?; when would you pass a pointer to a variable rather than the variable itself?). The second half was a coding question in three parts. First, I had to read a series of engineering specifications for what the code shall do, and tell the interviewers my answer. They were simple specifications, but worded rather poorly and took me longer than it should have to identify the specifications. Secondly, I had to describe the testing procedure for my code. Thirdly, I had to implement the code.
    The last interview was at lunch with another engineering lead. We discussed my past experience, various coding platforms I have used. Overall pretty similar to the second interview.

Overall the interview was very pleasant, and everyone I talked to was nice and helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was given an initial phone screening from HR then a technical interview from a team manager. The experience was fine, overall, although I will say that some of the questions asked by the team manager were not very clear. Things like "If I have multiple sensors that track position on a car (i.e. gyroscope, navigation, etc.) what's the purpose of having them all versus just one or two?" Sensible question, just very vague.

Interview Questions

• What is a semaphore, and what is a mutex?
      How does a GPS work?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Garmin in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, three months later received e-mail to schedule a phone interview. Walked through my resume with me and asked a few technical questions. Had interviewed other students from my college and discussed some of the same projects I worked on.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between Overriding a function and Overloading a function.   1 Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted through email within a day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted around 20 minutes. The recruiter did not ask anything technical. Asked things like what my favorite class was, or my least favorite. Why I preferred a certain language. General questions about resume and the company.

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Met with recruiter at university career fair. Had thirty minute general interview the next morning with a thirty minute technical interview immediately after. General interview was fairly straightforward. Interviewer asked about previous internship job and what I would like to do at Garmin. Technical interview was also straightforward with little trickery.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe what a sample of C code was doing and how it could be optimized.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was handled professionally and with great proficiency. Non of the questions were an effort at eluding or suprising you. Know basics of c, and information about embedded systems as well as microprocessors. The first interview is an attempt to become familiar with you over the phone, while the second is an on site interview that is more technically rigorous. Again, know your c languages and you should do relatively well.

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in November 2014.

Interview

Met with HR Recruiter during a campus visit. E-mailed me within a week to schedule a phone interview which took place the next week.

Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and was mostly behavioral (Describe projects you've worked on, most favorite and least favorite classes, etc.) along with one technical question. Received an e-mail exactly one week later inviting me for an on-site interview.

On-site interview consisted of a initial meeting with HR, two technical interviews, lunch tour, and then one more technical interview. The technical interviews were with three different groups, two from aviation and one from outdoor. I brought one of my school projects along with me and was very enthusiastic about showing it to them, and in the aviation interviews we even spent more than half the time talking about it. Other questions given to me were basic Operating Systems and C coding questions.

Received a call two weeks later (there was a holiday weekend in there somewhere) with an offer.

Interview Questions

• -Count the number of set bits in an integer
      -Find all odd values in the array and make them even (array and array length are arguments)
      --(Follow up) How would you do the previous question without a for loop?
      -Describe the purpose of a Semaphore
      -Describe how multi-threading works   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very open to negotiations and I was able to get the offer raised by about 6%.

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in November 2013.

Interview

Very profession, although the interview was excessively technical. You can judge a person's expertie and abilities with much fewer techincal questions. I would prefer a shorter interview with all divisions of the company rather than 4 interviews that all resembled one another.

Interview Questions

• How would you aggregate a set of data while discarding outliers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Accommodating and they acted as though they needed me in the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Diamond Bar, CA).

Interview

It's about a two hour interview. You get a combination of technical and behavioral questions. There is a half hour programming exercise which you then review with the interviewer. After that you're given a brain teaser question.

Interview Questions

• Brain teaser: most buckets filled with infinite number of balls that weigh 1 gram, but one bucket has balls that weigh 2 grams. How do you find the bucket that has the 2 gram balls with only one weigh in? Follow up after you solve it, is what if there are two buckets with 2 gram balls?   1 Answer