Garmin Software Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Garmin Software Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was given an initial phone screening from HR then a technical interview from a team manager. The experience was fine, overall, although I will say that some of the questions asked by the team manager were not very clear. Things like "If I have multiple sensors that track position on a car (i.e. gyroscope, navigation, etc.) what's the purpose of having them all versus just one or two?" Sensible question, just very vague.

Interview Questions

• What is a semaphore, and what is a mutex?
    How does a GPS work?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Garmin in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, three months later received e-mail to schedule a phone interview. Walked through my resume with me and asked a few technical questions. Had interviewed other students from my college and discussed some of the same projects I worked on.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between Overriding a function and Overloading a function.   1 Answer

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted through email within a day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted around 20 minutes. The recruiter did not ask anything technical. Asked things like what my favorite class was, or my least favorite. Why I preferred a certain language. General questions about resume and the company.

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Met with recruiter at university career fair. Had thirty minute general interview the next morning with a thirty minute technical interview immediately after. General interview was fairly straightforward. Interviewer asked about previous internship job and what I would like to do at Garmin. Technical interview was also straightforward with little trickery.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe what a sample of C code was doing and how it could be optimized.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was handled professionally and with great proficiency. Non of the questions were an effort at eluding or suprising you. Know basics of c, and information about embedded systems as well as microprocessors. The first interview is an attempt to become familiar with you over the phone, while the second is an on site interview that is more technically rigorous. Again, know your c languages and you should do relatively well.

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in November 2014.

Interview

Met with HR Recruiter during a campus visit. E-mailed me within a week to schedule a phone interview which took place the next week.

Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and was mostly behavioral (Describe projects you've worked on, most favorite and least favorite classes, etc.) along with one technical question. Received an e-mail exactly one week later inviting me for an on-site interview.

On-site interview consisted of a initial meeting with HR, two technical interviews, lunch tour, and then one more technical interview. The technical interviews were with three different groups, two from aviation and one from outdoor. I brought one of my school projects along with me and was very enthusiastic about showing it to them, and in the aviation interviews we even spent more than half the time talking about it. Other questions given to me were basic Operating Systems and C coding questions.

Received a call two weeks later (there was a holiday weekend in there somewhere) with an offer.

Interview Questions

• -Count the number of set bits in an integer
      -Find all odd values in the array and make them even (array and array length are arguments)
      --(Follow up) How would you do the previous question without a for loop?
      -Describe the purpose of a Semaphore
      -Describe how multi-threading works
      Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very open to negotiations and I was able to get the offer raised by about 6%.

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in November 2013.

Interview

Very profession, although the interview was excessively technical. You can judge a person's expertie and abilities with much fewer techincal questions. I would prefer a shorter interview with all divisions of the company rather than 4 interviews that all resembled one another.

Interview Questions

• How would you aggregate a set of data while discarding outliers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Accommodating and they acted as though they needed me in the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Diamond Bar, CA).

Interview

It's about a two hour interview. You get a combination of technical and behavioral questions. There is a half hour programming exercise which you then review with the interviewer. After that you're given a brain teaser question.

Interview Questions

• Brain teaser: most buckets filled with infinite number of balls that weigh 1 gram, but one bucket has balls that weigh 2 grams. How do you find the bucket that has the 2 gram balls with only one weigh in? Follow up after you solve it, is what if there are two buckets with 2 gram balls?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS).

Interview

First contact at a job fair, where I was told to apply online for an internship. After posting my resume, I was contacted about an on-site interview in Olathe, which was entirely paid for. The interview consisted of an HR portion followed by a technical session. I was offered the internship after two or three weeks. A full time position was offered at the end of the internship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Chanhassen, MN) in January 2013.

Interview

Found the position through CareerBuilder before it was posted on their site. Applied and got the phone interview. Received an email 2 days later informing that I had gotten the Skype technical interview. It didn't work out, unfortunately, but it was good experience as I graduate this May and begin my job hunt.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a Hashmap and a Treemap?   1 Answer