Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 7, 2017

2.8

90 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in July 2017.

Interview

Friendly phone interview that lasted about 40 minutes. Basic questions about interest in Garmin were asked. Some random technical questions about software were asked. I was able to provide an answer to all of them. I had zero expectation of a job offer and only decided to do a phone interview to practice my interview skills. I've learned long ago that phone screens with technical recruiters were usually a waste of time. All job offers I've ever had in my life were when I was initially contacted by the hiring manager and not HR or a technical recruiter for a "phone interview".

What job seekers do not realize is that Garmin hires H1Bs for cheap engineering labor. To hire H1Bs, companies need to be able to provide some kind of evidence that they cannot find any candidates at all that meet their needs or skill requirements. The tactics they use is to either have a long extensive list of various skill requirements in their job ads that nobody can possibly possess all at once and/or when they conduct interviews they simply ask random technical questions where either the candidate might not have an answer to or an answer that the recruiter can pick apart and say that your answer just didn't sound competent. It's a simple legal tactic for a company to manipulate the system and make claims that they cannot find an American engineer that meets their skill requirements.

My advice is to do just what I did. Interview with them for practice and with zero expectation of an offer or second interview. Write down their questions as they are being asked, and then use those for continual practice to interview for the next company that is actually looking for American labor. Believe me, if all H1Bs and outsourced labor in the STEM fields were banned, you'd see wages in the engineering fields literally double overnight, and finding work would be a matter of picking which company is offering the highest sign on bonus.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary requirements?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Submitted resume online. Received an email, was asked several immegration questions, and then I was rejected by no reason. I have no idea what is the issue. And I just being rejected.

Interview Questions

• Some personal things (EAD card information, and H1-B stuff)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter to schedule time. I replied promptly, but they did not reply until over 1 week later. As a result, I had to provide additional availability for the following week. We finally schedule something. Come interview time and they do cancel last minute. They contact me again for additional availability. I provide them with times again. No reply for over 3 weeks now. I'm just going to assume this isn't going anywhere. Out of all my 40+ interviews, I have never experienced such unprofessionalism. Pretty disappointed, especially from a company with such a big name.

Interview Questions

Garmin Response

Feb 27, 2017 – University Relations Team Leader

I'm sorry to hear this... please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will investigate what happened. My sincerest apologies as this is not a great representation of our normal process and I... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online through my school's website and received an email for an interview within a week. The interview consisted of questions about the various classes I had taken before the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you optimize a database?   Answer Question
    • 2. What is the difference between a vector and a linked list?   Answer Question
    • 3. What are linked lists, vectors and binary search trees optimized for?   Answer Question
    • 4. What is the big O of finding an element in a vector and in a linked list?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

First got a phone interview regarding behavioral skills. After that it was a technical interview. Asked about C++ an different concepts known in C++ programming. Also asked about personal coding projects and experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you'd use a pointer to a pointer.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The entire interview process was very fast. I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted by a recruiter approximately a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was the typical behavioral interview with one or two basic technical questions. The interviewer was extremely nice and helped make the experience enjoyable. After one more week, I set up a Skype interview with three Garmin engineers who asked me technical questions related to my past experiences and a few brainteasers.

Interview Questions

• You are given a basket of weights all weighing the same except for two. How would you go about identifying the two weights that are different? What is the asymptotic runtime of your algorithm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Durham, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online via my college's career site. Heard back within a few days with a phone screening. Interviewer was quite friendly and asked various behavioral questions along with some resume questions. After about a week and half, was contacted for a technical (over phone). Technical was straight forward. Theory questions were based off of classes taken or languages studied. I had 2 coding questions which were quite simple and only had to be done in pseudo code.

Interview Questions

• Given a value, print out the change equivalent.   Answer Question
    • What type of development do you prefer (front end, backend, etc)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in February 2017.

Interview

For the most part it was just about my history and then a brief technical interview. Two interviewers and myself, one software engineer and one not. Much more focus on past projects than on anything else. Technical questions were typical CSC-150 type questions you see in any technical interview. Overall, pleasant interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain a past project and any difficulties you had with it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin in February 2017.

Interview

Met them at a college career fair. I got an interview the day after. Mostly asked behavioral questions. Asked about my experiences. Still in the process currently so I don't have a lot of information to share. Mostly, make sure to know basic programming and how to explain your experience. Make sure to also prepare to answer behavioral questions. How would you solve a difficult problem?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview, then On Site, but I only got to phone interview. Asked mostly behavioral questions regarding resume, past projects and experience, what have you learned. Then ask if you had other job offers. I said yes and recruiter gave me a time frame they would respond since I had an offer at hand. They didnt meet the time frame so I sent an email to ask if there is any update since my offer was cutting close, then they sent me a rejection email right after my email. Thought that was rather weird.