Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter to schedule time. I replied promptly, but they did not reply until over 1 week later. As a result, I had to provide additional availability for the following week. We finally schedule something. Come interview time and they do cancel last minute. They contact me again for additional availability. I provide them with times again. No reply for over 3 weeks now. I'm just going to assume this isn't going anywhere. Out of all my 40+ interviews, I have never experienced such unprofessionalism. Pretty disappointed, especially from a company with such a big name.

Interview Questions

Garmin Response

Feb 27, 2017 – University Relations Team Leader

I'm sorry to hear this... please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will investigate what happened. My sincerest apologies as this is not a great representation of our normal process and I ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The entire interview process was very fast. I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted by a recruiter approximately a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was the typical behavioral interview with one or two basic technical questions. The interviewer was extremely nice and helped make the experience enjoyable. After one more week, I set up a Skype interview with three Garmin engineers who asked me technical questions related to my past experiences and a few brainteasers.

Interview Questions

• You are given a basket of weights all weighing the same except for two. How would you go about identifying the two weights that are different? What is the asymptotic runtime of your algorithm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in February 2017.

Interview

For the most part it was just about my history and then a brief technical interview. Two interviewers and myself, one software engineer and one not. Much more focus on past projects than on anything else. Technical questions were typical CSC-150 type questions you see in any technical interview. Overall, pleasant interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain a past project and any difficulties you had with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Durham, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online via my college's career site. Heard back within a few days with a phone screening. Interviewer was quite friendly and asked various behavioral questions along with some resume questions. After about a week and half, was contacted for a technical (over phone). Technical was straight forward. Theory questions were based off of classes taken or languages studied. I had 2 coding questions which were quite simple and only had to be done in pseudo code.

Interview Questions

• Given a value, print out the change equivalent.   Answer Question
    • What type of development do you prefer (front end, backend, etc)?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin in February 2017.

Interview

Met them at a college career fair. I got an interview the day after. Mostly asked behavioral questions. Asked about my experiences. Still in the process currently so I don't have a lot of information to share. Mostly, make sure to know basic programming and how to explain your experience. Make sure to also prepare to answer behavioral questions. How would you solve a difficult problem?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview, then On Site, but I only got to phone interview. Asked mostly behavioral questions regarding resume, past projects and experience, what have you learned. Then ask if you had other job offers. I said yes and recruiter gave me a time frame they would respond since I had an offer at hand. They didnt meet the time frame so I sent an email to ask if there is any update since my offer was cutting close, then they sent me a rejection email right after my email. Thought that was rather weird.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewing process was pretty good! I first had a phone screen with an HR representative that was mostly just looking over my resume and answering very basic technical questions (what's a pointer?). I got invited to do a hour-and-a-half long Skype interview with the hiring manager, where the interview was half behavioral and half technical. The interviews were great, and HR was very timely during the whole process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Salem, OR) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied for an open position in Software Engineering after attending a career fair at the university I graduated from. About a month later I was called to set up a phone interview. The process in setting it up was very smooth. The interview was set to last 60 minutes, and we took most of that time. The recruiter had various background and technical questions with programming languages they used, but mostly with C. They described some about the company and the campus, as well as the atmosphere of the work environment. They were happy to answer any questions I had about the position. Overall, speaking to the recruiter was very pleasant. After closing, they said they would give me a response within the week and wished me luck, but I didn't hear back.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between heap and stack memory?   Answer Question
    • What experience have you had with software development and testing?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Initial Phone Interview with HR mostly behavioral questions, with some technical questions.
    On-Site Interview with Manager, and then some members of the team. The technical questions mostly derived from the previous projects I have worked on and what basic skills I had.

Interview Questions

• Previous Projects, Coursework, Attempting to meet a deadline on a project, Reacting to feedback   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

Got an email from an HR coordinator to schedule an 30 min interview with senior HR person. HR person went over resume, asked a few additional questions, and promised to forward resume to hiring managers. Was contacted for an onsite interview the next day. The onsite interview was with a panel of several interested hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Write an ascii to int converter function on a white board.   1 Answer
    • Why are you leaving your current job?
      Why do you want to work for Garmin?
      What do you make now? What do you want to make at Garmin?
      What do you know about Garmin?
      Answer Question