Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 7, 2017

2.8

90 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online through my school's website and received an email for an interview within a week. The interview consisted of questions about the various classes I had taken before the interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you optimize a database?   Answer Question
  • 2. What is the difference between a vector and a linked list?   Answer Question
  • 3. What are linked lists, vectors and binary search trees optimized for?   Answer Question
  • 4. What is the big O of finding an element in a vector and in a linked list?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in January 2013.

Interview

Initial hiring process is started by filling an application through their online system. Even at job fairs at college and such, that's how it works. If your resume attracts attention, and they don't lose you in their paperwork (as happened to me the first time) then you get a phone interview. Having a friend on the inside to speak on your behalf can cut the change of being overlooked, since their HR hiring people are scatterbrained. If you pass the phone interview, then you are invited to Garmin for a tour, and a series of interviews with the departments looking for new hires. They ask you to bring code you have written for them to review, but only 2 out of the 10 or so people I interviewed with actually looked at it. If the general consensus among those you interview with is good, then you are offered a job. You get to choose preferences for department, and as far as I can tell, you get the most preferred department that also wanted you.

Interview Questions

• The in-person interviews at Garmin that follow the phone interview are done by engineers, and the interviews are very technical. Keep in mind that most of Garmin deals mostly in C, and plan for a technical interview accordingly. The hardest questions was probably about the minimum number of bits required to encode information about a street in a GPS system (including speed limit as a multiple of 5, up to a certain limit, and several other bits of info they give you).   1 Answer

Negotiation

They did not seem open to negotiation, but mine was an interview for an entry-level position, so that may have affected it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ) in April 2014.

Interview

Smooth process. I was contacted by HR and the hiring manager. HR call was non technical, and the Hiring manager called me in for a fact to face interview which was very technical

Interview Questions

• Several questions were somewhat difficult, but not unusually so. The most difficult one involved developing an efficient sort algorithm for a specific data structure.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in January 2012.

Interview

I had three interviews with Garmin for three different positions in the company. Each interview consisted of questions asking me what I was looking for in a company, a set of technical questions (what is a pointer, etc.), and a software engineering puzzle I had to solve. Know your general terminology and be good at solving puzzles and you'll be set.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in December 2009.

Interview

HR phone screened at first; checked technical & personality skills and experiences. On-site consisted of an interview with HR, then a group interview with several managers. Detailed questions on my previous experiences; was asked for how I would solve problems in detail. Asked for specific examples of how I solved engineering challenges in the past

Interview Questions

• When faced with multiple, conflicting demands, how do you resolve them?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a personal goal you set and achieved for yourself in the recent past.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was fair; did not negotiate much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2010.

Interview

I had the opportunity to interview with Garmin in Olathe, KS a couple of weeks ago. The first interview was with HR and the interviewer asked basic personality questions such as describe 3 major lifetime achievements, describe your ideal workplace, etc. It was a little more in depth than the 30 minute phone screen. I was told I would have 4 technical interviews with different managers throughout the day, lunch, and a tour.
    It started out pretty well I thought. During the first 2 interviews, I was asked intermediate questions about C++ and Java, my work experience and asked to solve some problems. One question was to describe the difference in an STL string and a Java String. I didn’t do very well on the problem solving. My nerves got the better of me and I just couldn’t think clearly in that high pressure situation. I do better taking a problem to my desk and working through it in silence. Something I need to work on for future interviews… but anyway…
    There wasn’t a single question on design patterns, which every good programmer should be familiar with. And nobody asked to see my code which they told me to bring.
    The 3rd interview is what got me. The interviewer was a low level programmer, ( OS, device driver level ) guy, and he began asking me bit twiddling questions. When I told him those are things I studied for certifications years ago, but nothing practical I have used in my over 9 years of experience, he seemed annoyed. The position was for an application programmer, so I didn’t review this kind of low level programming questions. “I know how to build houses, not bricks and nails.” That’s what I should have told him, but didn’t. Then he asked me to implement a bubble sort algorithm on paper while he’s looking over my shoulder. Again, I just couldn’t do it. Sure, I know what a bubble sort is and yes I have used it. But in practice, I have never had to implement one. There is already a good implementation in every major language, so why should I. I build houses. ( which is what the position was for ) If I had been prepared for this sort of questioning or just graduated from college, I could have answered these questions without any problem. ( I didn’t tell him any of this, but it’s what I was thinking. ) So the interviewer kindly told me the interview process was over and escorted me to the door. I said no problem.
    This is a very green group of people. All the interviewers, who were mostly managers, were under 30. They definitely value academic knowledge over years of practical real-world experience. And it seems they expect you to know about everything, rather than focusing on your skills and experience you can bring to the company. If you just graduated college, this might be a good place for you, but if you have real experience I wouldn’t bother.
    Now here is the real question. There was no technical phone interview. So why did they fly me out to Kansas when they are clearly looking for a certain type of person. Yeah, they paid for my expenses but I wasted 2 of my vacation days for nothing. I could have saved us both some time and money if I knew up front what they were specifically looking for. It seems very odd to me. Usually a company will fly you out to headquarters when they are really serious about hiring you. The only thing that comes to mind is it’s a big tax write off. Makes you wonder.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin in March 2010.

Interview

Attended job fair and was contacted by HR recruiter a few weeks later.
    The HR recruiter setup an hour long phone interview, mostly HR questions, salary history, behavioral questions, personality questions, etc
    On-site interview was setup for a week later. At on-site interview, met with 5 people. Engineers asked technical questions and programming and logic questions. Managers asked about work history and experience and described the company and answers my questions. HR asked basic HR stuff.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taoyuan (Taiwan)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Taoyuan (Taiwan)) in September 2017.

Interview

Technical test ( c, c++ and trace code), HR interview and senior interview. Mentioning about master thesis, do i have experience about using Java, C and embedded system... and so on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in July 2017.

Interview

Friendly phone interview that lasted about 40 minutes. Basic questions about interest in Garmin were asked. Some random technical questions about software were asked. I was able to provide an answer to all of them. I had zero expectation of a job offer and only decided to do a phone interview to practice my interview skills. I've learned long ago that phone screens with technical recruiters were usually a waste of time. All job offers I've ever had in my life were when I was initially contacted by the hiring manager and not HR or a technical recruiter for a "phone interview".

What job seekers do not realize is that Garmin hires H1Bs for cheap engineering labor. To hire H1Bs, companies need to be able to provide some kind of evidence that they cannot find any candidates at all that meet their needs or skill requirements. The tactics they use is to either have a long extensive list of various skill requirements in their job ads that nobody can possibly possess all at once and/or when they conduct interviews they simply ask random technical questions where either the candidate might not have an answer to or an answer that the recruiter can pick apart and say that your answer just didn't sound competent. It's a simple legal tactic for a company to manipulate the system and make claims that they cannot find an American engineer that meets their skill requirements.

My advice is to do just what I did. Interview with them for practice and with zero expectation of an offer or second interview. Write down their questions as they are being asked, and then use those for continual practice to interview for the next company that is actually looking for American labor. Believe me, if all H1Bs and outsourced labor in the STEM fields were banned, you'd see wages in the engineering fields literally double overnight, and finding work would be a matter of picking which company is offering the highest sign on bonus.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary requirements?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Got an e-mail to interview with HR personnel. Interview with HR went well. Questions were mainly behavioural. I beleive they want to access how you'll fit into their culture if at all.

Interview Questions

• Mainly behavioral questions. Nothing technical.   1 Answer