Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

Got an email from an HR coordinator to schedule an 30 min interview with senior HR person. HR person went over resume, asked a few additional questions, and promised to forward resume to hiring managers. Was contacted for an onsite interview the next day. The onsite interview was with a panel of several interested hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Write an ascii to int converter function on a white board.   1 Answer
  • Why are you leaving your current job?
    Why do you want to work for Garmin?
    What do you make now? What do you want to make at Garmin?
    What do you know about Garmin?
    Answer Question
  • What are the basic OOP concepts?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online to an opening on company website. Received a phone call from HR about a week later, wanting to do a behavioral interview. Behavioral interview was over the phone, and contained several generic questions about my background and why I want to work for Garmin. At the end of the behavioral interview there were a few basic technical questions, mostly conceptual stuff. The following day, HR called me again to set up another phone interview, this time technical. The interview was with an Engineering team manager. He gave me a rundown of his background and what he does, then asked me about my projects, resume, education for a little while. Then he asked me a simple coding question and some follow-up questions about that. Finally, I was able to ask him some questions and that was that. The technical interview went well, I thought, and I expected to hear back for a third, in-person interview. I had gotten all the technical questions right and hadn't said anything too strange or out of place with the behavioral questions. However, I received an email a week or so later saying that I wouldn't get a third interview. No other explanation was given, which was pretty frustrating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2016.

Interview

Initial Phone Interview with HR mostly behavioral questions, with some technical questions.
    On-Site Interview with Manager, and then some members of the team. The technical questions mostly derived from the previous projects I have worked on and what basic skills I had.

Interview Questions

• Previous Projects, Coursework, Attempting to meet a deadline on a project, Reacting to feedback   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process took 4+ weeks. I applied online and within a week a recruiter called me to set up a phone interview.

Phone interview: They go through basic screening and few questions about resume. They also ask you one or two technical questions like What is the difference between overloading and overriding? They told me to tell the result in 2 weeks and exactly after 2 weeks they sent me an email saying I'm invited onsite for face to face interview.

On-site interview: Onsite interview was scheduled with three different people. They were not the same people in the confirmation email they sent. One manager canceled on me and they let me go earlier without the third interview. The first part is with HR. They explain you the benefits and other stuffs. The second part was behavioral. They asked all sort of situational questions like "what are your strengths and weakness" The third part is technical. There is where I learnt that the company is more inclined towards bookish knowledge. I prepared the technical part writing code on white paper, but it was a complete shock that they asked all the questions (some 40 questions) that only checks if you know the material. They didn't check my analytical skills. Anyone fresh out of college can easily crack this interview. The interview is very very easy, but I didn't crack it because I didn't expect the interview to be like this. Not one question on coding.

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between java and javascript
      what is function overloading and function overriding
      what is Polymorphism
      what is the difference between abstract class and interface
      what is the difference between hashmap and hashtable
      what is the pass by value and pass by reference
      what is normalization
      Can a constructor have a return value
      Memory management in java
      explain MVC
      Do you know any team foundation server like svn, if so how would you merge your code?
      Do you know Maven
      Do you know Spring
      Do you know github, if so when did u use it?
      Explain private, protected, public nature.
      what is a virtual function
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Standard behavioral phone screen (approximately 30 minutes) with a few general technical questions at the end. Asked questions about a language I did not have on my resume, which was a bit unexpected (obviously). Questions were more general definitions and not specifically writing code, but did not get an offer for a second interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in December 2015.

Interview

Standard application process: online application, then phone screening by HR followed by technical interview by team members. HR was cordial and professional. Provided clear communication about hiring process and was easy to get a hold of.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had issues with a team member and what you did to resolve them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Interviewed on campus with a company recruiter. The interview was an hour long mix of behavioral and technical questions. Technical questions mainly about simple definitions about concepts like object oriented programming, memory management, and operating systems. One coding question was asked about array manipulation and the optimization of said manipulation.

Interview Questions

• What would be the most complex thing about designing an embedded system, like a fitness band?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Consisted of a technical and behavioral interview. The technical part consisted of a program on a sheet of paper. You had to identify what the program was doing, where the bug is at, and how to optimize the program.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in November 2015.

Interview

I held an hour phone interview about general behavioral questions. Very simple questions. The tech interview was roughly 45 minutes. It was held over skype and asked general questions such as what static is, what is the different between a public, protected, and private function, etc. They may ask different situations you've had to code HTML, Java, or CSS, etc. There were two developers on Skype asking me questions. They were extremely friendly and if I needed help they gave examples.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between Java and JavaScript?   1 Answer

I didn't decline or get an offer yet, I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Anonymous Employee in Rapid City, SD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Rapid City, SD) in October 2015.

Interview

Came to the school and gave me an interview. The questions were super simple and it was mainly catching some simple errors in a for statement, asking what the programs overall goal was and what was a way to do the for loop as a while loop (all of this was in a dumb down java). Overall super simple question that anyone with a basic coding background could solve.

Interview Questions

• How do you change a for loop to a while loop?   1 Answer