Gartner Account Executive SMB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gartner Account Executive SMB Interview Questions

Interviews at Gartner

3.9

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in February 2014.

Interview

The interview process was the most stringent I've been through. It consisted of three phone interviews and once Final Interview that was done within the Gartner office in Fort Myers. The phone interviews were with various recruiters, sales managers and other panels.

The interview is designed to see if the potential employee has a set of personality traits that would work well within Gartner's sales environment. The interviews are more conversational than anything else. It's not so much "tell me why you would be awesome at this job", but more like "tell me about yourself and your goals."

The interviewers will also ask you to perform role plays during the phone and Final interviews. They do a good job of prepping you beforehand, so don't panic and just roll with it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Gartner

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL).

Interview

I submitted my application online. Had an initial phone interview, typical behavioral questions. Then had to do a second video-conference interview with similar behavioral questions, STAR format is expected. The video interview ended with a hypothetical sales pitch for a gym membership.

I was flown down to Fort Myers for the final interview, with an Regional VP and Area Manager. Similar style of questions and more indepth role play scenario on the phone with an RVP you'll have to type a follow-up email based on your conversation. I was offered and accepted the job on spot.

You really cannot negotiate the salary, but the relocation package is open season! Be aggressive.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL).

Interview

recruiter reached out on LinkedIn, had 15 minute interview talking about Gartner, 2 days later had 1 hour interview that was mostly behavioral type questions. One week later had 1 hour interview with recruiting coordinator, was flow down 2 weeks later. Overall process took 30 days, recruiter kept in contact entire time. Rather difficult interview process, but Gartner has some great people working for them. glad to be part of the family.

SMB Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

First interview was basic some general background questions about yourself and then learning more about Gartner. A second interview was set up but no call was received. After rescheduling the second interview was tough personal questions that were unexpected

Interview Questions

• describe a time you set a goal and failed to achieve it   Answer Question
    • describe a time you set a goal and how did you achieve it   Answer Question
    • describe a time you were given feedback and how you handle it and how you implemented it in the future   Answer Question
    • describe a positive relationship with a higher up a boss/teacher   Answer Question

SMB Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back within the week. I was scheduled for a phone interview with a recruiter the next week. The phone interview was very laid back, mostly focused on the recruiter explaining the job position and asking me about my past experiences and different personality traits. It was about 35 minutes and he gave me very helpful feedback at the end. I was told over the phone that I would be scheduled for another phone interview with a different recruiter, but ended up talking to the same recruiter due to a last minute change.

This phone interview was strictly behavioral questions, about 10- 15 of them. Not too hard, pretty standard stuff you can find online-- about 45 mins. I was told once again over the phone that I would be scheduled for another interview, this time using a video conference tool where I would answer a variety of behavioral questions and do a short sales roleplay.

This interview was focused more on digging deeper into my past experiences; the interviewer focused on asking "why?" to all of my answers, asking me to self- reflect and seeing how self- aware I was. She was very friendly and easy to talk to.

I was told that I would hear back within the week, but it has been 3+ weeks and I haven't heard a word from them. I can take a hint, but it seems kind of unprofessional to never get back with someone, even if you are turning them down. Besides that, it was a great overall experience and both people I talked to were extremely helpful in giving feedback.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time where you worked in a group where there were clashing personalities/ the project did not go as planned?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gartner (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

This was the most intense and gratifying interview that I have ever been through. I met Gartner at a Sales Competition, where I had your typical "behavioral-style" interview. I received an invite that same day to an invitational in Florida, which would take place 1 month later. The invitational had maybe 75-100 talented prospects, including myself, and extremely cut-throat from the get-go. After a nice breakfast and welcoming, we immediately started our introductions. Our group's circumference consisted of all important Regional managers and executives who were taking notes right away. How well can you speak? Are you able to rotate properly and make eye contact with everyone around you? Do you stutter? How well did you sell yourself given the 40 seconds you're given? After the 100th or so person introduced themselves, we then split up into groups. Our group activity involved all of us working together, advocating for our specific cause, given a scenario. You had to show collaboration, yet persuasion. Were you a ruthless leader, or a timid follower? Which one is better or worse? It's difficult to tell, but once again, you are being "big-brothered" while the activity was underway. Naturally, this turned into far too many chiefs, and very few Indians. We then moved to one-on-one interviews with a select few amount of executives. This was more of your typical interview portion, and I was told that some interviewers were far more difficult than others. We then broke for lunch. After lunch, they called out maybe half of our names. Thankfully, I wasn't called. Those kids were sent on the busses and we never saw them again. Cut throat. The remainder of us felt very accomplished that we were still in the running, and had a chance to gather ourselves for what was going to be the more difficult portion of the day. The sequence of events that we did varied in order, depending on the number that they gave you. Some of us were able tour the absolutely breath-taking campus, while others had to perform a white-board presentation or a sales call role-play. The white board presentation, in my opinion, was the most difficult. You had to act as if these intimidating executives that have been watching you all day, were completely oblivious, and knew nothing about what Gartner's SMB Account Manager role entails. How might you explain that? Whiteboard. So as if Gartner's business processes weren't confusing enough, they also left it up to you to somehow paint a picture of it. So would you face them and talk, and scribble about on the board, or physically turn your body, write more eloquently, yet speak into the board, worrying about how your booty is staring them straight in the eyes. The next portion was your typical role-play. The executives left the room and called into the phone line in front of you. You had to then walk through a typical sales call that an SMB Account Manager would have to undergo, with a proceeding follow-up email for the next steps to take. This, along with the whiteboard presentation, was all set to a time-restriction. Part of that time-restriction involves reading the scenario on the spot and coming up with your pitch, prior to the call. After you finished, you were given an hour or so to gossip with all of your new "friends." For me, it was an hour of complete panic that I would be sent packing after all of that effort. Then, the event organizer came out and split us into 3 groups. The first group had a little less than half of us, the second group had maybe 4 people, the last group also had a little less than half of us (maybe 10 total?) We weren't given any information as to which group was the winning group. I was in the latter group along with 9 other people who I thought all did pretty damn well from what I could see from the first half of the day. It turns out I was right, as I was in the winning group. We were taken to a big celebration party upstairs, as we all received offers. The first group was never seen again, and the second group of 4 received offers for a different position. The taste of victory was the most gratifying feeling I've ever felt, and we made sure we all celebrated, accordingly. I believe I was the only one of the group of us that didn't actually accept the offer. Gartner gets the best talent in the nation, and provides such an intense interview process. Furthermore, they show you the world in sunny Florida with all of the best benefits and amenities that you can imagine. Thus, it's hard for anyone to decline the offer. (And trust me that was the hardest decision I have ever made.) However, I would refer you to really research the company and some of the testimonials that you can find online. This sales company really did sell themselves on paper, but, again, please heavily look into this before making your decision to pack up your life and enter this "utopia."

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in August 2012.

Interview

Between 4-5 Interviews total, with a final onsite in Ft. Myers which they fly you out for. The entire process for fairly difficult to navigate and their selection process is around 1:20. A panel presentation is also required which included multiple VPs and managers. Must be comfortable presenting material and selling yourself to executives.

Interview Questions

• They ask you to participate in a mock role play to demonstrate your ability to navigate a sales call.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was 4 weeks long of phone interviews and was somewhat repetitive until the last panel interview in which I drove to the Fort Myers office. The first 3 interviews were with consecutively higher level recruiters. Each of these recruiters emphasizes concise answers, persistence, enthusiasm for the job, understanding the company/position, and answering behavioral questions in a STAR format using facts and metrics. Questions should be answered in a clear, but short manner. Definitely know the relationship between the SMB position and clients.

Every recruiter or hire manager I spoke with was very down to earth and easy going. Just be the best version of yourself and be sure to take notes on feedback and who you spoke with. Personally, I looked up backgrounds on LinkedIn to use in understanding a recruiters title or experiences.

The last interview was a shadow interview, whiteboard session, and panel role play. You will get a chance to ask a person in your position questions about the company and preparing for the white board session, which is about relaying learned information about Gartner.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you use metrics to gauge productivity?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you assumed lead of a group or team?   Answer Question

Account Executive SMB Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner in April 2013.

Interview

Had two phone interviews with HR followed by a two hour+ in-person interviews with the hiring managers (VP of Sales and two Area Managers). Following step is a panel interview with a case study and role playing. If hired they have a 90-day training period including a week in their Fort Myers training center. They take their time hiring and look for the best fit. Key information they want to know if how you sell and prospect and what your sense of urgency is.

SMB Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in July 2018.

Interview

I had 4 interviews, 3 by phone and the last one, the panel interview at the egham's office.
    As an advice I can say that you should trust yourself, be natural if sales is what you love and go for it.
    The last interview is the one that really made realise that Gartner was THE company I wanted to work for.
    It was a very enjoyable experience, where I learned a lot about myself and all the people I talked to were very professional and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Why did you chose Sales ?
      Why do you want to work for Gartner ?   Answer Question