Gartner Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gartner Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Gartner

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner in November 2017.

Interview

Applied via graduate university careers page. Received an email within a month notifying me that I was selected for an on-campus interview (OCI).

OCI was two 1x1, 30-min interviews with senior consultants. Both very friendly. Questions were behavioral and situational based with a mix of left-field on-the-spot questions (there's a reason they do this...).

Received another email the following week stating I was selected to move on to the next round, which was an on-site. It consisted of a panel presentation (1-hr in length) followed by three (3) 1-hr 1x1 interviews with the upper echelons of the consulting branch. Interview questions were again situational, behavioral, and fit based.

Received notification of offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Why Gartner and why consulting?   Answer Question
  • Explain to me a passion of yours. If I was to pursue the passion, explain to me how I would go about learning how to do it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Gartner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Gartner (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

3, 30 minute phone interviews with current consultants, more of a conversational nature and inquiries as to why you would want to work at Gartner Consulting.
    After, a take home case study is provided that you have 1 week to work on, during that time you also are connected to HR who confirm some details and paperwork.
    Your in office interview is 4 hours, and you sit down with 3 senior consultants/directors, and then present your case study results to a room full of consultants who proceed to ask you questions and attempt to poke holes in your conclusions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Gartner Consulting?
      What makes you think you are capable of performing at a high level?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with Gartner as part of their MBA recruiting process. The first round of interviews was with some more junior Gartner consultants. Next I had a brief phone call with a VP. The final round was onsite with multiple one-on-ones with senior staff and a case presentation.

Interview Questions

• In the one-on-ones it was mostly standard interview questions, but there were also a couple, on the spot, case questions. Each candidate was also asked to give an hour long case presentation with a week of prep.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied through my university career center.

First round is an on-campus interview with 2 senior/director level consultants. 30-mins each. Asked you the general behavioral questions, why Gartner, a couple Fermi estimation questions.

Second round is an invitation to their offices to interview with 3 managing partners (MP) for 1-hr each. You then have a 30-min case study presentation in front of 6-10 consultants & MPs who will question your logic, numbers, and thought process. Meant to simulate a real client.

They give you the case study 1 week before the interview. This was exceptionally tough for those who are working full-time and also attending night classes. Very thorough researched need to be done.

The whole process was exceptionally smooth. Consultants were professional and friendly. Recruiter was responsive and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Fermi estimation questions - i.e. how many golf balls fit into a Boeing 747, etc.   Answer Question
    • Why Gartner?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked to successfully complete a project with a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied as an Alumni through my Grad School Job Board. Initial phone screen a few weeks later with one Managing Partner then one Consultant and focused on behavioral questions. A week later was invited to participate in blitz day interviews where I interviewed with senior staff and presented a prepared case.

Interview Questions

• Background Questions, why Consulting, why Gartner.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied through my school's career portal after attending an informational session. The first interview round was held at my school and consisted of 1:1 interviews with 2 different managing partners. Within a couple of weeks later, I was notified that I had been invited to participate in the final interview round at the NYC office. Attached to the email were materials to prepare for the case presentation. The final round was scheduled for the following week and consisted of a 60 minute case presentation (30 minute presentation + 15-30 minutes for questions) and 1:1 interviews with 3 different managing partners. The entire process seemed to go really smoothly and everyone I interacted with at Gartner was friendly and responsive. The presentation and interviews were moderately difficult, but enjoyable at the same time because it felt as if everyone was really just trying to get to know me and make sure I would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• If you had a huge stack of contracts and only limited time and resources to review them all, how would you approach this task?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (Sacramento, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview process went quite smoothly. They time-blocked the interview to 30-45 minutes to make sure we were concise, without dragging on awkward to reach a random interview length. Questions were unique, and rather fun--lots of open ended and forward thinking responses solicited. It seemed like it would be fun to work with this group of people

Interview Questions

• Describe how you use and integrate technology into your every day life? Is there an industry that you think doesn't need/use technology in the marketplace today?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

initial interview was about fit and personality, the overall experience was a good to learn from and look forward to additional opportunities. they did the good cop bad cop thing as expected. peers were the ultra nice good cops and then came the additional directors to be a bit tougher

Interview Questions

• trains...why do they still exsist and why is the guage of rail standardized?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Gartner (Sacramento, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews to start matters off. These were relatively simple. However, my third interview lasted 5 hours. Scheduled during finals week (I was an MBA student), I was required to do an hour-long presentation consulting an unknown company. This required several hundreds of pages of reading to prepare for this case study. Several of my classmates and I presented, but alone. About 5 people were watching, and they absolutely grill you. Actually, about half of the hour was probably me giving my planned presentation, and the other half was be them asking very specific/critical questions about my work. They were trying to imitate a difficult client. I also interviewed with 4 other people, each for an hour. After that 5 hour interview, I had another "surprise" phone interview on very short notice. There were only 4 final candidates vying for 2 positions, yet they made their decision almost two months before notifying me that I didn't get the job. I knew I didn't get the job long before, since I knew the people who DID get the job. Overall, the company left a poor taste in my mouth. I got the feeling that they do not treat their people very well, but the people there are very bright.

Interview Questions

• It was specifically related to my presentation and why I chose the method I did.   Answer Question

Consulting Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gartner in March 2010.

Interview

Phone conversation

Interview Questions

• What have you dealt with projects that get off the rails.   Answer Question