Gartner Interview Questions in Egham, England | Glassdoor

3.5

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Account Manager SMB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

There are 3 WebEx Interviews before you are invited to the Assessment Center at their offices in Egham (just outside London, right next to Heathrow airport):

1) The purpose of the 1st interview is to assess your knowledge about what Gartner does (see Gartner 101), why you are interested in sales, and your personal strengths (accomplishments, previous experiences, etc). The interview lasts approximately 30 minutes, which includes questions from your side at the end and throughout the interview.

2) The purpose of the 2nd interview is to assess 4 different personality traits: executive presence, clock speed, pathway to gold, and will to win. Executive presence means your ability to communicate and articulate yourself effectively at a professional level. Clock speed means your ability to listen carefully and adapt quickly to new information, your agility basically. Pathway to gold means your ability to implement structures to achieve your objectives. Will to win means your drive to achieve your objectives. You will be asked about previous experiences where you demonstrated these traits. Again, you will also be asked about your understanding of Gartner's business (see Gartner 101) and why sales and Gartner appeal to you. The interview lasts approximately 60 minutes, which includes questions from your side. Always ask good / relevant questions about the company / the role.

3) The purpose of the 3rd interview is to assess the 4 different personality traits again + a role play (discovery call with a prospect). In essence, the interviewer will again ask questions related to the 4 different personality traits. They relate to your previous experiences and your ability to demonstrate these traits with examples from your past. At the end, there will be a role play. The interviewer plays a prospect (e.g. a CMO who is looking to increase sales or achieve any other business objective). You are supposed to use the time (approx. 15 minutes) to learn as much about the business and their challenges as possible. Be aware to open and close the call effectively. Build a personal rapport at the beginning and close the call with a summary of what you have discussed and next steps (follow-up call with a Gartner research analyst, date and time). The whole interview last approximately 90 minutes, which includes questions from your side. Again, ask good / relevant questions about the company / the role.

4) The Assessment Center.

4.1) Morning Session. The morning will begin with a small breakfast where you have the chance to get to know the other candidates as well as colleagues from HR and the SMB team (account managers, area managers, senior vice presidents, and the managing vice president SMB). After that, there will be an introduction and agenda for the day where everybody introduces themselves and their roles at Gartner. Then, you and the other candidates have approximately 5-10 minutes to present themselves (your background). You will also be asked to talk about your greatest personal accomplishment and which famous person you would like to have dinner with (and why). After that, you will have your first interview of the day (with 1 recruiter and 1-2 sales managers). Again, they will assess the 4 different personality traits (lasts approx. 45-60 minutes). At the beginning of the interview, you are asked to deliver a 3-minute pitch on ‘Why sales and why Gartner’.

4.2) Lunch. There will be current SMB account managers. You can ask them questions about the role and the company.

4.3) Afternoon Session. After lunch, there is a ‘Gartner articulation’ session where you will learn more about the company. In your second interview of the day, you will be asked to demonstrate your knowledge about the company and their business. The purpose of the second interview (with 1 recruiter and 2-3 sales managers) is to assess your understanding of the company, the role, and your personal fit. At the end, there will be a role-play (again a discovery call). The role-play will last 30 minutes. Your job is to learn as much as possible about the prospect, their business objectives, and current challenges. The prospect will now likely be a typical Gartner customer (technology vendor or end-user client). Again, remember to open and close the call effectively (build personal rapport, summarise findings, and agree on next steps).

Interview Questions

• Could you tell me what Gartner does?   1 Answer
    • Why are you interested in sales?   1 Answer

Account Manager SMB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)).

Interview

Went through 3 stages, HR, then manager and panel with VP, manager and HR.
    I've been asked some questions which I did not consider very professional and after the interview process, I was not interested in working for Gartner anymore. They are especially turned down by people who would like to go for executive education as they confirmed that people working in Sales do not have time to be spent in other activities after working hours.
    Following this interview, I've been headhunted by Gartner other 3 times and I've have asked the Talent acquisition about pursuing a part-time executive PG. All of them confirmed that it is not possible when you work for the Sales department. I believe they do not value education so much or just want people committed to achieving numerical targets

Interview Questions

• What is your parents' job and why you did not want to pursue their career?
      Do you laugh at work?   Answer Question

Database Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

1:1 interview with perspective manager who came across as being quite inexperienced at interviewing. I felt it was a bit stilted as she seemed to be basking questions from a list. I wasn't offered any water so I was glad that I'd taken some with me. My partner used to have a similar job at a competitor company a few years ago and I think they viewed that as a threat.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you bent the rules in a job   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process begins with a screening call by an internal recruiter and the key expectation of the conversation is just knowing and validating you and your background. The internal recruiter doesn't share any details about the role during and after the call.
    After the initial step you may have several interviews with people related with the role from various levels and locations, including the hiring manager. They try to understand details about your background, skills and experiences during the conversations. They also behave very frankly and give open answers for your questions.
    If you can pass all those interviews, they invite you to a panel presentation. The scope of the presentation is based on a case study which is shared with you 10 days prior to the panel. The most critical points about the panel presentation are:
    - Although it is a 50 minute meeting according to the guideline, the panel members may expect to have a 2-hour meeting with you. You have to clarify the exact expectation and duration with the hiring manager (not with the recruiter) beforehand.
    - They may say during the interviews that the expectation is to understand your personality and behaviour during the presentation. Don't rely on it. The real goal of the presentation is to see a detailed and well prepared solution based on many assumptions beyond the case study they shared.

Interview Questions

• The questions they ask are regular questions. I didn't get any tricky interview questions. However, the main difficulty was, since I couldn't see the job description until my third interview in process, I felt myself uncomfortable and unprepared.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was approached by one of their recruiters.
    - First stage is a general phone interview that lasts 30 mins - try to close at the end, you'll see why when you carry on reading this.
    - Second stage is a 1h phone interview with a second recruiter. You need to treat every call with Gartner as a sales call (they will tell you that too), meaning taking the lead at the beginning of the convo by setting your objectives for the call, and close at the end asking whether they want you to carry on to the next stage. The key is to be structured and to LISTEN to their feedback so you can apply it at the very next stage. I have a feeling they check that you apply feedback at the following stage so ensure you do, to show you are coachable.
    - Third stage is a 1.5 hour phone interview with a third recruiter. The structure is the same: open by setting objective, go through Gartner, the 4 traits (they assess that by the way you answer questions) and CLOSE. At the end you'll have 2 minutes to prepare a role play. Mine was a mock call with a gym owner that i need to call up to understand his marketing needs as this is what I was meant to sell him.
    - If you make it through the final stage, well done as the process is not easy. During that stage you'll meet with senior managers, going through 4 traits again + other role play.

I decided to drop out of the process at the very last stage because I was offered another job that's more in line with what I was looking for but I would encourage anyone to go through this process with Gartner. They give you feedback throughout the process and I learned tons during my 3 phone interviews with them.

When you start working there you go to the Academy, which is 4-7weeks training programme. If you think you've learned a lot during the screening, wait until you go to the Academy. That's what I thought.

Gartner seems like a great company to work for, and you will learn a lot from a sales perspective. I chose not to finish the process but only because something else was more suitable for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had a goal and what you did to achieve it
      Tell me about a time where you lost a deal and what you did next.
      Tell me about a time where you got feedback from your manager and how you applied it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

4 steps interview process.
    First interview with Recruiter: 30 minutes
    Second interview with Recruiter: 1 hour
    Third interview with Client Partner Manager: 1 hour
    Fourth interview: Panel Interview with 30 minutes presentation and 1 hour Q&A session.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of when you were the top performer in your team

Provide an example of when you needed to resolve a conflict in your team

Provide an example of when your communication skills resolved a situation with client

Provide an example of when you delivered a 5* customer service

Provide an example of when you went above and beyond to provide an excellent service

How would you prioritise which clients to contact first?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted through Linkedin by their internal recruiter, had a 30 minute call with her and she passed me on to the next stage which was an hour call with another recruiter.

I was told immediately after the call that I was asked for the third round which was with two managers from the CP department. I was informed the same day I was put through to the final stage, panel interview. In the panel I had to give a power point presentation and there were the same managers, VP, recruiter and a CP. I got the offer the same day.

It is a long process, I can't deny that. For all of the stages combined, I spent over 20 hours prepping. IT industry was new to me and I didn't know a lot about the company before. The recruiter was a huge help prepping me to bring out the best in me in the interviews.

In the end I didn't find the interviews that difficult due to my thorough prepping. They will ask you a lot of very detailed questions about things you did years ago so it is quite exhausting in the end. At the same time they sell the job and the company to you and make sure you understand what you are applying for and what the job will actually be.

Three things will make you successful in all of the stages: show passion for services, show them you are and want to be a top performer and show them your personality. They don't want to hire machines, they want to hire people who will be good with our clients.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Very long process, with 5 stages over 6 weeks. First 30 min phone call with the recruiter about basic things related to my experience and the role. Then another 1 hour call with the same recruiter, plenty of behavior based questions and tested my understanding of their company. Third stage was a video call with 2 managers, lasted for an hour. It was all about behavior based questions again, really specific questions. They want to understand HOW you did what you did. Fourth stage was a 20 min call, to check my interest in IT - they had given me the task to research about enterprise architecture and then explain it. Final stage was a 2 hour panel interview with 3 managers and it included my 30 min presentation. Questions were all about my past experience, how did I do what I did, why, etc. Very pleasant people, they seemed to have a good understanding of my resume and past achievements. They want to know your achievements in numbers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you...
      were the top performer in your team?
      Needed to resolve a conflict in your team?
      Your communication skills resolved a situation with client?
       delivered exeptional customer service by going over and above your general duties?
      had to convince your team to do something differently?
      Didnt know what to do and had to learn a lot quickly?

What would you do if you didnt have to worry about money? (Still wondering the reason for asking this..)
      How would you prioritise which clients to contact first?
      What do you think would be the biggest challenge in this role?
      Why this role? Why Gartner? Why you?
      Mention some of the current IT trends?
      What is exceptional customer service?

Make sure to think of examples from your previous job that help them realise you are the top performer, are a great team player (collaboration is super important!), can prioritise tasks, and are very passionate about customer service.

Apparently I didn't appear as a great enough team player/ lacked collaboration skills and that is why I got no offer.

Lots of resources were put into this process but as an experience extremely valuable.   Answer Question

SMB Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Three interviews with three different people of the HR staff. The first two were very nice, informative and easy. I then already got an offer for the Assessment Day, but was contacted again to perform a third interview.
    The Senior Recruiter was nice, but asked quite confusing questions. She wanted to get back to me in a week, but still hasn't contacted me. I'm waiting on a final notice, before I reach out to them again.

Interview Questions

• Why would you choose a sales career?   1 Answer

Associate Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Egham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (Egham, England (UK)).

Interview

There have been quite a few interviews (5 I think) back when I applied in 2009 and the whole process must have taken a few months. Good solid interview process. Very clear at every stage of the interview process. The first interview was over the phone with an internal recruiter which must have lasted c. 30 minutes. The second stage was a face to face interview with the team manager recruiting for this role. This was conducted in person in Egham and was a very pleasant experience. The manager was very friendly and asked me a lot about my previous experience and how it can benefit Gartner's role she was recruiting for. The next stage was a phone interview with the VP of Service Delivery for the whole group. The last stage was a 2-hour panel where I was asked to prepare and deliver a presentation and answer all questions that they had in the meantime and afterwards. There were 3 senior managers present at that interview (out of 5-6 participants who were supposed to be there but could not due to holidays etc).

Interview Questions

• Have you had any difficult situations in your past roles and if yes, how did you handle them?   1 Answer