Gartner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2017

3.5

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Gartner (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Very fast and straight to the point. I had to download an app to start the process. I feel kind of scared though since I haven't meet anyone yet but they reviewed my application and seem to be interested in me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Gartner?   1 Answer

Event Attendance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

Process took about 4 weeks, included 3 phone interviews with recruiter and hiring managers, a networking event and a final on-site panel interview. Gave great feedback, never heard anything back. Still have fingers crossed but we will see.

Client Services Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Gartner in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email stating that company had received my information. The initial call with the first recruiter went really well. During the call I was informed that there was a 4-step process. The first two calls would be with a recruiter. The 3rd would be a 45 min call with the manager and the 4th would be onsite. The call went so well that immediately following I received another email scheduling the 2nd call with the Sr. Recruiter. I also receive more information about the role, the company (why Gartner), and details about the Fort Myers campus.

The recruiter seemed to not have been in a great mood the day of my call. She asked typical question and at the end informed me that she would have to reach out to the hiring team to see if I would move forward in the hiring process.
    I had to follow up twice before I received the typical email from the second recruiter stating that the company decided to move forward with other candidate that closely matched the skill. I know that I am a near perfect match for the opportunity as this is the type of work I am currently performing and have been for over 10 years. It would have been nice to understand what skills was lacking as the first recruiter felt I was a great match for the company and stated so in the follow-up email as well. It is also interesting that Gartner allows elimination at the recruiter stage (when there are mixed messages given to the interviewee) without allowing them to speak with the actual hiring team.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above the norm to service a client?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Gartner (Naples, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

Four tier interview process
    1. Feeler interview with even Q&A on both sides
    2. In depth interview over the phone
    3. Longer interview with sample role play
    4. They fly you down for an 8 hour extensive interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you received constructive criticism and how did you respond   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you set a goal and then reached it   Answer Question

Account Manager SMB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by e-mail by a recruiter through the university's career portal and set up a "discovery call" (phone interview) and interviewed with a SMB recruiter. The interview/discovery call was very casual and more like a conversation. The recruiter I interviewed with was really nice but the questions asked were more geared towards my past internship experiences and how they could be applied to the Account Manager role. They told me they would follow up within the next 24-48 hours and I never received a call or e-mail about the following steps. I was a little put-off by the fact they couldn't even send a stock e-mail to inform me they were moving forward with other candidates, but in the end I knew it wasn't a good fit anyways.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gartner (Stamford, CT) in April 2017.

Interview

There were three stages to the interview process. First was a phone call with an HR rep, second was a phone call with a member of the development team, and the third was an in person interview. The in person interview consisted of a test of 6 computer science related questions that you had an hour to complete. Then met with 2 different groups of three people from the company, each for an hour. They asked basic to complex questions about software development to gauge your knowledge. Easy enough if you know your stuff.

They put you in a hotel the night before that you have to pay for but they do reimburse for it as well as travel expenses like gas/mileage.

Interview Questions

• -data structure type questions, how are they implemented, what are their complexities, etc.
      - algorithms
      - web development frameworks, angular/react   Answer Question

Leadership Partner Enterprise Architecture and Innovation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Gartner (Arlington, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview Process takes 6 weeks after you get an initial email of interest from HR. I went through 5 rounds of interviews with VPs and Peers (Leadership Partners). Every round, they informed me that they are looking for a "coach", "mentor" trait - where key expectation is to advise clients in a neutral manner during high impactful situations - to gain their trust as their go-to advisors. Every interviewer emphasized they were NOT looking for consulting skills and not looking for people to sell services from Day 1 because that is what say a Deloitte partner would do. In fact an interview question was - "why should a client hire a Gartner Leadership Partner if they already have a Deloitte management consultant in-house?". After navigating all these questions over 5 weeks, i was asked given a case study/presentation to make for my final panel interview which was scheduled in Arlington, VA office - even though i live in Los Angeles (i was originally told by HR this panel interview would happen in Gartner office closest to candidate's location - but this stance was changed in the end). This panel interview was set up to simulate a real-life client situation - with Gartner employees playing "client" roles including CIO, CTO, Chief Architect, EVP Consumer Banking etc. I spent 40 hours preparing for the presentation meticulously based on the topic given to me. In the Panel preparation call, my hiring manager again gave me feedback that being calm & balanced & poised under client crossfire is a key trait Gartner is looking for in the role and not a typical seller-of-services approach taken by consulting firms. I was actually OK with that because i truly believe advisory involves authentic listening to client issues first in a compassionate manner - so client gets the confidence that we are listening & truly understanding their problem first (instead of sitting there for the first opportunity to pitch a service).

Interview Questions

• So the Panel interview day came (i had flown coast to coast for that) and 60 minutes went by very effectively in my opinion. There were a LOT of questions being posed by different "client" stakeholders but nothing anywhere close to difficult that i had seen in real-life client situations (which i have faced many times, because i'm an independent consultant for past 5 years with focus on the same area - enterprise architecture & innovation). I was taken on an intentional tangent during the presentation - though i lost time on addressing the tangent and could have done better, i still brought the flow back to the deck and ended up communicating the value/intent of every slide during the 1 hour slot provided. After the presentation ended, 2 people gave me feedback right away that I had done well. But then the 3rd person who happens to be the boss (managing VP) of everyone spoke and said "your voice modulation was not good". Then everyone stopped giving me feedback. I was asked self-feedback "i thought it went great. there was a tangent in the middle which i could have handled more effectively because i had to rush a bit in the end. Overall though i felt that i kept all client members engaged, presented Gartner professionally in a client-setting, demonstrated that i listened to the client effectively especially focusing on their mission critical objectives and how to bring value to address those". Hiring manager walked me out asking me "have you done this before?". I responded "many times in real-life, in fact, i was ready for more client-politics dynamics which was not the case in this panel".   1 Answer

Associate Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

The Gartner interview process is very rigorous. Mine included three rounds of phone interviews followed by an in-office panel interview and a written follow-up. Each stage gets progressively more detailed and they examine you for qualities rather than specific knowledge. Gartner leadership is looking for you to show that you are receptive to feedback and effectively able to apply it in future rounds; that you are able to communicate concisely and clearly; and that you are able to effectively pitch yourself as a fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• Explain how our services could be used to assist a client in the banking industry.   Answer Question

Client Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Overall the interview process was brilliant. Originally I was contacted by a Gartner recruiter for a possible role with team supporting a large internet networking company I previously worked for. That role did not eventuate however a few months later the same recruiter introduced me to his peer who was interviewing for a client executive in a similar company.

I went through the standard screening calls, then had two video calls with the client director, another phone call with the area manager, a panel interview with the acct team, then a final conversation w/ the area VP.

In hindsight the panel interview was great to go through. As the candidate you get to see the personalities and dynamics of the team you'll be working for, they get to see you out of your comfort zone leading a discovery call w/ a scenario / role play that is purposefully vague. You could freak yourself out over-preparing or you could draw on your skills and experience (value-based selling, SPIN, empathic listening) and simply let yourself shine. I'd recommend a bit of both and more of the latter.

All up, the process took about 3 1/2 weeks. The Gartner recruiter kept me informed every step of the way, was available for coaching re: role play, was transparent about salary expectations, and was super responsive.

I received a verbal offer on Friday and the formal offer in writing that following Monday.

Interview Questions

• The customer is always right, but often times they're wrong...how do you let them know when they're wrong?   Answer Question

Client Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I went through three rounds of interviews. The first was a phone conversation with my recruiter, the second was a phone interview with two hiring managers, and the third was an on-site interview with the same two hiring managers as well as a VP. In the final interview, you create a presentation on Gartner, the position, and yourself and why you're well-suited for the position. The process moved quickly and I usually hear back within a couple days after each interview. They place a strong emphasis on seeking and incorporating feedback.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a time when you encountered difficulties in working in a team and how you addressed the problem?
      Why do you think you would be a good fit for the Client Partner role?
      Can you describe how you've managed your busy schedule?   Answer Question