Gartner Senior Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2017

3.4

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gartner (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

Phone interview that went over what was on my resume and what type of position I was interested in. The interviewer told me they were looking to add an additional 2,500 people in the next year. He said I would hear back within one week on the next steps.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in terms of total compensation?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Gartner

Senior Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Gartner in July 2017.

Interview

This was unquestionably the most unprofessional interview experience I have ever had in the corporate world. A recruiter reached out to me to ask me to interview for the position. I had a recruiter interview, and 3 additional phone interviews following. The only person to begin the interview on time and not ask more of my schedule than what had been previously arranged was the recruiter. The hiring manager fit in the call between errands he was running. We hung up and he called back twice during the "interview." During that time I was told that there was a goal of creating a team of graduates from a particular educational institution. I am not a graduate of this institution, though I attended briefly. This unethical and vocal “goal” was a huge red flag. Next steps and salary were discussed. He expressed an overall excitement for my "fit." The VP interview (prescheduled with a recruiter) started with him informing me he did not have enough time and that we needed to start now and pick back up several hours later. The consideration for my personal schedule and what was planned was completely irrelevant. Again, salary was discussed. The third phone interview began 20 minutes late as well. It was the most thoughtful conversation I had in the process. I received an email from the hiring manager that urged me to “buckle up, we are moving fast.” 1.5 hours before my next scheduled interview I received an email from the recruiter that it was cancelled and I was no longer a candidate. I was told they would get back to me with further feedback, but that has not occurred. Even if I was not who they wanted, I expect to be treated with curtosy, respect, and dignity. I also expect the hiring practices to be ethical and equal opportunity. Not limited to a particular educational institution. My recommendation to friends and colleagues considering Gartner is to be very cautious.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your history   1 Answer
    • Provide 10 adjectives that describe yourself   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Reached out by 3 different recruiters. Once the three worked out who was going to be the point person I had multiple phone calls, and was told the focus on being behavioral based, a 10min role play, and then a call with the hiring manager. It was very disorganized process and each call was rescheduled twice.
    I asked numerous questions about how many others they were talking to, experience they were looking for, timeline etc. I was assured of being the candidate.
    After two formal calls the 3rd was scheduled and again cancelled and rescheduled twice. The day of the 3rd call received an email that the role had been filled.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions about experience and the boring questions that start with tell me about an experience that.....   1 Answer

Senior Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

Started quickly, but then the process dragged on. They seemed to be quite enamored with themselves, but the sales cycles are very transactional and not consultative. Friendly enough people, but all had a difficult time expressing the value proposition. Thus, I passed on joining them. It is so important that before joining a organization that expectations are clear.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

HR contacted me through a mutual contact, quick screen, deep dive on 2nd HR call with scripted questions, phone interview with Area Manager, phone interview with Area Vice President, panel with numerous people, (even people they didn't announce), on a video bridge.

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Stamford, CT) in February 2016.

Interview

They do 5 touch points here- This is big in their sales philosophy over all. Expect at least 5 meetings including phone interview. The pitch call is the final stage- you present/ role play a sales call.

1- Phone interview Screen
    2- Recruiter interview
    3- Management 1:1 (I met 2 managers 30 min and 60 min)
    4- Longer in person interview (with senior manger or others had their following by phone)
    5 -Pitch Call Presention

Interview Questions

• What is the one risk we would take in hiring you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me the number I wanted (exact number I had in my mind) I did not negotiate-- I did hear of others negotiating everything including vacation and health plan (and getting it). - Good Luck

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gartner (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was a bit fast-tracked but I had one phone interview with the recruiter, one in person interview with the hiring manager, then had my panel interview, then got the offer. All happened within less than two weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Caveat to the Negative experience rating: it was very positive until the offer stage.

Two phone interviews with Recruiters; One phone interview with Hiring Manager; Two in-person interviews with Hiring Manager including Role Play/panel interview. Was very impressed by everyone I spoke with and/or met. Very smart, very polished people. Declined offer, re: at 100% of plan would have been a major reduction from my existing pay. No room to negotiate. Their Finance department will ignore what you W-2 and will make an offer based on what your base pay and 100% of your existing comp plan looks like. They are transparent about it. Very confusing approach if you want to bring folks on board who are fortunate enough to be selective. Even if commissions are uncapped, and earning potential can grow over time, a major pay cut at 100% of plan in Y1 is detrimental to making the leap. Good candidates will have options. Build in room to negotiate when you make an offer.

Interview Questions

• Take me through a difficult situation you encountered, what motivates you, why Gartner, etc. Pretty standard but important questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I was contacted by the Regional Manager from my LinkedIn profile. Spent an hour on the phone with him and then was scheduled for an HR interview. HR guy was a no show. claimed it was on the wrong schedule. Finally talked with him the following week. Straight forward, but not very well done. This is what happens when you allow HR recruiters to help select Account Executives. I would not wast any more time with him after he asled for all of my W2 info going back 3 years. Really none of his business, and has really nothing to do with how I would have been a fit with Gartner

Interview Questions

• What did you make last year?
      Tell me of a situation when you had to rescue a bad sale?   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

Contacted by intial recruiter for a 15 minute phone screen, scheduled to speak to Senior Recruiter for an hour, additional 30+ minute phone interviews with VP and Managers. Concluded with a panel interview. Complete additional information on online form.

Was called day before panel interview was scheduled and told they had decided to hire from within.

Interview Questions

• When did you know you would be sucessful? Describe a time that you differentiated yourself as a sales professional. Are you currently viewed as a leader in your organization and why? Name a time you overcame obstacle? What do you like to do in free time? Why looking to leave current position?   Answer Question