GateHouse Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

2.1

Copy Editor/Page Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX).

Interview

They quickly talked to me over the phone to make sure I wasn't a weirdo and knew at least a little bit what indesign was. They were really nice I didn't have a problem talking to anyone.

Page Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview was very short and straight forward. They definitely up-sold the idea of working for the company and how much growth came with the opportunity. They have a tendency to make the position seem like it allows more creativity than it does. They claim to seek out creative, skilled designers, but it doesn't take either of those to handle a cookie-cutter method of design. Once a creative designer realizes this, the enthusiasm for work declines greatly.

Digital Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Fort Smith, AR) in March 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was a nightmare, they offered me the job and then when the local paper called to extend the offer, the lady got an attitude and pretty much took the job off the table. I called the recruiter and he had them recontact me. I interviewed in a local papers office with the publisher. They discussed what my employment would be like and what would be expected of me. Then after I was hired changed those plans without my knowing. I was hired as a remote employee and then they tried everything after they hired me to get me to work out of the office.

Copy Editor/Page Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nacogdoches, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Nacogdoches, TX).

Interview

They were able to work with me due to the fact that I was not able to commute there at the time of interviewing by doing a phone interview. It was quite relaxed, it was like having a conversation over an interview and the 20-minute interview rolled into almost an hour.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at GateHouse Media in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by the company to interview.

It was fairly straight forward. I was asked to apply online and send in my resume and portfolio, and I received a short phone call. After applying, I had a phone interview a few days later. A few days after that, I received an offer and two weeks later I was in training.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with a faced paced environment, doing 12-20 layouts a day?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when you handled multiple deadlines/projects?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a little about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Are you open to relocating to Austin?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when you had to use critical thinking?   Answer Question
    • When was a time that you used InDesign?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked what pay I expected, and with my experience I aimed a little high. I did not receive the job I originally applied for (when asked to apply), and I then asked for 14$ of the 12-14.25$ rates. I received it and then some.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GateHouse Media in June 2016.

Interview

Simple. Not really an interview. A chat. I learned about the position and started calling 5 months before I got an interview. I waited for 4 months before I received a return call. That should have been a clue to run. I talked with the supervisor three times, but it was never an interview. Finally, she asked when I could start. That was delayed twice. Finally, I was hired, but the company was not yet ready to make a hire.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GateHouse Media.

Interview

The interview process was fair and straight forward. A portfolio of work was requested. It was explained that the job role would include photography, video, web updates, and social media. The newspaper did not have a staff for composition, so newsroom built and developed all content. Have heard a portfolio was not requested from other interviewees.

Community Content Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview was straight to the point. Easy and pursued me why this place was the best place to start my career. I received a preliminary call. Then I went into the office for a one-on-one interview. I was asked about my resume, my skills and why I wanted the job. Once that finished, I took an exam that tested AP style, CEO and headlines/cutlines.

Page Designer/Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

It was a quick one telephone interview and they made an offer. The offer was as low as possible, but makes you feel like it's good because they try to make it higher than the numbers you give them.

Multimedia Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marion, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Marion, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

I had several people interview me. Sales managers and the local publisher. They ask questions about how I would sale their product and my previous experience. They wanted to know what my technique would be when presenting their product to a potential customer. Also, they were hiring for a couple of positions so they wanted to know which one I would prefer.