GateHouse Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Columbus, OH) in April 2018.

Interview

Two interviews were performed. The first was with just the manager, and second I was able to meet the entire team. The interviews were laid back and welcoming. I liked that they showed me around and was very thorough and transparent.

Sports Editor Interview

Interview

One interview with managing editor and one with department editor

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at GateHouse Media in April 2014.

Interview

Ask questions. Phone first. In person. Call back in person with multiple people. They were friendly. They were so focused on digital questions. Which was a big focus, but they talked more about it than anything.

Interview Questions

• They as if I could sell digital products.   1 Answer

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Wichita, KS) in June 2013.

Interview

I was working as news editor at another gatehouse paper, and they asked me to take over a one person weekly paper. The interview was rather short. The basically told me what the job involved and asked if i would take it. But the publisher did misrepresent that the job involved and what the working conditions would be. Several things I was told turned out to be just not true. This was no misunderstanding and I should have gotten everything in writing. Lesson learned.

Interview Questions

• Questions were typical, but they kind of knew me so that changed the scope of questions.   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Middletown, NY).

Interview

I was brought in by outside staffing agency.
    I felt right from the get go they really did not want to interview me.
    They asked dumb and basic questions about accounting skills.
    The position applied for did not match their description of duties during the interview.
    Their description of processes seem antiquated and manual which probably leads to a long dull work day.
    I told agency if they were to make an offer I am not interested.

Interview Questions

• What kind of journal entries have you made?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GateHouse Media in June 2016.

Interview

Simple. Not really an interview. A chat. I learned about the position and started calling 5 months before I got an interview. I waited for 4 months before I received a return call. That should have been a clue to run. I talked with the supervisor three times, but it was never an interview. Finally, she asked when I could start. That was delayed twice. Finally, I was hired, but the company was not yet ready to make a hire.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GateHouse Media.

Interview

The interview process was fair and straight forward. A portfolio of work was requested. It was explained that the job role would include photography, video, web updates, and social media. The newspaper did not have a staff for composition, so newsroom built and developed all content. Have heard a portfolio was not requested from other interviewees.

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Portsmouth, NH) in March 2018.

Interview

My experience was 100% positive. The hiring manager was extremely professional, respectful, transparent and organized. The interviews felt more like a dialogue on the industry and business discussion vs. Q & A.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Sault Ste. Marie, MI) in May 2012.

Interview

I was asked to show previous design works and given a page proof test. Looking for spelling etc. They seemed very nice. But ultimately unable to come to a decision.

Interview Questions

• If I could handle multiple projects at one time including page layout and design.   Answer Question

Page Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview was very short and straight forward. They definitely up-sold the idea of working for the company and how much growth came with the opportunity. They have a tendency to make the position seem like it allows more creativity than it does. They claim to seek out creative, skilled designers, but it doesn't take either of those to handle a cookie-cutter method of design. Once a creative designer realizes this, the enthusiasm for work declines greatly.