GateHouse Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2016

2.2

Copy Editor/Page Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nacogdoches, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Nacogdoches, TX).

Interview

They were able to work with me due to the fact that I was not able to commute there at the time of interviewing by doing a phone interview. It was quite relaxed, it was like having a conversation over an interview and the 20-minute interview rolled into almost an hour.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at GateHouse Media in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by the company to interview.

It was fairly straight forward. I was asked to apply online and send in my resume and portfolio, and I received a short phone call. After applying, I had a phone interview a few days later. A few days after that, I received an offer and two weeks later I was in training.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with a faced paced environment, doing 12-20 layouts a day?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when you handled multiple deadlines/projects?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a little about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Are you open to relocating to Austin?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when you had to use critical thinking?   Answer Question
    • When was a time that you used InDesign?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked what pay I expected, and with my experience I aimed a little high. I did not receive the job I originally applied for (when asked to apply), and I then asked for 14$ of the 12-14.25$ rates. I received it and then some.

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GateHouse Media.

Interview

The interview process was fair and straight forward. A portfolio of work was requested. It was explained that the job role would include photography, video, web updates, and social media. The newspaper did not have a staff for composition, so newsroom built and developed all content. Have heard a portfolio was not requested from other interviewees.

Community Content Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview was straight to the point. Easy and pursued me why this place was the best place to start my career. I received a preliminary call. Then I went into the office for a one-on-one interview. I was asked about my resume, my skills and why I wanted the job. Once that finished, I took an exam that tested AP style, CEO and headlines/cutlines.

Page Designer/Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

It was a quick one telephone interview and they made an offer. The offer was as low as possible, but makes you feel like it's good because they try to make it higher than the numbers you give them.

Multimedia Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marion, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Marion, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

I had several people interview me. Sales managers and the local publisher. They ask questions about how I would sale their product and my previous experience. They wanted to know what my technique would be when presenting their product to a potential customer. Also, they were hiring for a couple of positions so they wanted to know which one I would prefer.

Copy Editor/Page Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job through Indeed and was responded to immediately by their Hiring Manager and interviewed within the week. During the interview, they said that it was a "fun" and "buzzing" culture and everyone is open and friendly. He said that there were many opportunities to design not just the inside pages of the newspaper but the cover page. This might be an option on a different team, but if you are asked to be put on the New England team, you will only be doing the inside pages. You will not be having any creative license.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a long-form print document you created and the process behind creating it in InDesign, in detail.   Answer Question

Page Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I had one phone call with a recruiter. He was very easy to talk to and asked normal questions. I found it a little strange I didn't have an in person interview, but I got hired pretty quickly after that phone call. He was quick to respond to any questions I had.

Page Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

The initial interview went very well. They asked all the right questions and gave me an opportunity to ask all of mine. He described the extent of the position, offered hours, schedule, and insight as to how I would be working. He gave examples as to daily duties, work environment, and daily expectations.
    When asking questions, he covered my basic knowledge, various psychological questions, as well as asked my reasons behind relocating, reasons to why I wanted to work back in-house, and why I loved what I do so much.

He was very personable, polite, and knew what he was looking for.

Interview Questions

Salary was way way way too low.

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GateHouse Media (Rockford, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process was fair and open. No questions were asked that were true interview questions. They seemed to be more directional and attitudinal. It was collaborative in terms of meeting lots of different people playing lots of different roles. It was a multiple interview type of cycle. Questions were asked from categories including legal, marketing, customer service, sales, Supply Chain management, and digital.