Geek Squad ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Geek Squad ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) Interview Questions

2.1

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Geek Squad in May 2016.

Interview

I worked as a CA prior to this so my interview was pretty easy. When applying for the CA position before having worked in the store it felt pretty standard.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond to help your team?   Answer Question
  • How well do you work in a team?   Answer Question
  • When you don't know the answer to something what would you do to find a solution?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Geek Squad

ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Geek Squad.

Interview

Applied online for a specific part time position on their website. Received a call within 3 days. Interviewed with the Geek Squad DCI (manager) a day later. Was asked a few questions about computers: one about hard drive sectors, and a few about explaining computer parts and issues figuratively and simplified to non technical clients.
    Intervied with Store Manager a few days later and it was much more like your typical interview with questions more about myself and my leader skills instead of my technical skills.

Interview Questions

• Figuratively explain a hard drive, it's purpose, and the process of defragmentation to a non technical client.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Geek Squad (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

First met with the precinct manager and discussed education, experience, and certifications, along with some standard "Descrbe a situation when..." questions. Next met with the general manager, discussed expectations, and was made an offer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Geek Squad (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview for the ARA position was quite straightforward. You are interviewed by the Geek Squad Supervisor and Geek Squad Manager and they both ask you questions related to work you've done in repairs in the past. They also ask you questions related to handling difficult customers. Overall, it wasn't a difficult interview, but you truly have to show that you care about the clients and that you know what you're doing.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you were able to solve a problem that no one else was able to solve.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Geek Squad (West Des Moines, IA) in November 2014.

Interview

first i got interviewed on the phone then they call me for an interview with the Geek Squad manager and then another interview with the store manager ,in general the process went very smoothly ,and you just need to show that you want this job and you will excel on it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Geek Squad (Columbia, MD).

Interview

I'm very much over-qualified for any of the Geek Squad positions, but I wanted some part-time work for a little while. I applied online on Sunday and they called me Monday morning. They asked basic questions about the number of hours I wanted, the schedule I desired, my overall level of interest in working for Best Buy on a 1-5 scale, then scheduled me to come in for a sit-down interview with the store mgr (I went in the same day). We sat in the back room and he fired out the typical questions you'll see on this site, such as "Name a time you dealt with an irate customer" ..... "How did you overcome working with a troublesome co-worker" ..... "Tell me about how you went above and beyond for a customer", etc. Just an FYI..... If you can't think of a time it really happened to you, just make something up that sounds good.....tell 'em what they want to hear. The mgr knew I was over-qualified, so he didn't get technical with me at all. He said he had to discuss it with the GM first (who is out of town) and will call me soon.....currently waiting on a call back.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. They're exactly the ones you find on this site. Write them down and answer them on your own before you go in for an interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Geek Squad (Conshohocken, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

Initial communication was almost non-existent. Nearly a month after applying, I received a phone call to schedule an interview. The interview was scheduled for another two and a half weeks in the future. I was told they were "very busy because of staffing issues." One would think there'd be a bit more urgency to hire if that was truly the case. I was later told by another employee that the administration employee had simply forgotten to call me.

There were two interviews with three different managers. Only one was the Geek Squad manager, and thus only one interview was actually centered on technical knowledge and ability. The other two (manager of the computing section of Best Buy and the store's General Manager) were only interested in basic workplace skills, etiquette, professionalism, and so on. There was a lot of transparency throughout the whole process, which gave an impression of organization and professionalism that very nearly offset the impression I got from the messy offices in which I was interviewed and the evident lack of internal communication among the management.

I must say they put on their absolute best face until I was officially hired and in the system (which took another week, as they "messed something up"), after which point I noticed how poorly-managed the store and precinct truly are. I was not given much guidance and got the impression I was meant to learn how they did things on-the-fly. That would be fine if I hadn't been promised a "probationary agent period." Turns out there is no such thing as a "probationary agent" - they just forgot to order me a uniform. For some reason, I stayed on. Seeing how much was (unreasonably) expected of each employee, most DEFINITELY including the management, I could almost understand why things went amiss so often.

I got the unfortunate impression that Best Buy is struggling to stay afloat, and that Geek Squad is pretty much its last resort.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a HDD and a SSD?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. I was initially quoted a much lower starting wage than I expected. I called them on that and it was amended right away. The number I was first given was for a different position entirely. I was laughed at when I asked for a higher starting wage. Apparently, part-time employees don't get that luxury until they've been there a year. Then "you might get a fifteen cent raise." Their words.

ARA (Advanced Repair Agent) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Geek Squad.

Interview

I submitted my application online. It was 3 months before I heard anything. I was called in for two interviews before getting the job. The first interview was with the Geek Squad Supervisor and the second was with the General manager. Both were fairly normal interviews. Questions were along the lines of describe a time you were in a leadership position, describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you dealt with it...

Interview Questions

• What do you think you should be paid. Not because I was unsure of what I was worth, but because the next statement was, "Well we can't pay you that much, we start our employees out at $10" (at that time it was $10, now it is less). So don't expect to be paid fairly if you are a real IT professional.   Answer Question

Negotiation

See most difficult or unexpected question

Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Geek Squad (Altoona, PA).

Interview

Three interviews. One phone interview, one interview with lower management, and one with upper management. Many questions are situation and scenario based, they look more for personality than actual skills.