Gemological Institute of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.2

Watch Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (Jersey City, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

I spoke to 3 different people. During the actual interview, they are all texting on their phones the whole time which turned me off from the start. They didn't really ask me any questions either. Overall, it was a weird interview for me...

IT Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (San Diego, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone screening interview with a manager who I've heard is no longer there. Very long pauses as the manager transcribed responses. Very standard, stilted questions. Very little follow up to my answers. The interviewer was polite and respectful. I received no response to my thank you note. It was then over 2 months before I got a system generated letter telling me I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

There was a video interview in which there were prewritten questions and you merely record yourself answering the questions and have an unlimited number of edits. There was later a group interview which really played more of a role as an informational seeing that everyone was moved on to the next round of interviews. The second to last interview was with 2 senior members of the lab and then finally a technical interview. These were all on different days.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for GIA   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online through GIA's website and got an internet interview immediately. One week later I got an email for onsite interview. The first interview is more like a meeting than an interview because basically all the candidates were just sitting in the conference room and listening to HR to introduce GIA and the diamond grader position. The real in person interview happened in the week after that and I did went there because HR said they don't sponsorship H1B visa for that position.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions. Tell me about a previous job or task that required you to be detailed and accurate in your work. What are your long term goal and short term goals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

I would suggest people to not apply to GIA for any position as it is not worthwhile. It was a waste of my time, energy and money.

This was an interview scheduled for 1pm. I waited for about 30 minutes until somebody from HR finally came. The first part of the interview was an overview of what GIA is and does, the second part was the one on one interview where none of the questions related to the job position or company. Majority of the questions were behavioral questions which made me feel like I was in a psychologist's office. The last part of the interview was a technical test where you have to grade a diamond . The interview lasted for 4 hours.

I was told that I would know in 2 weeks whether or not I got the job. I contacted them after 2 weeks, no reply. Contacted them again after a month and they said that they will tell me after interviewing a few more applicants. After a few more follow up emails with no response from GIA, they finally replied stating that they have filled up all the grader positions.

Overall, my experience with GIA was terrible. The management is a complete mess. They say it is a non-profit organization, but it is not.

Diamond Grader Interview

Interview

I applied to around 20 positions over the last 4 years. The first time i got called in immediately for a group interview, then for an in person with the technical director. Upon meeting Her, she seemed cold but I figured it was her poker face and did not think anything of it when I was rejected. I had an interview a second time a year later for the customer service dept, and then this past week for Diamond Grader, and again with the technical director and the lab head, who was fairly pleasant. The technical director seemed less cold this time, but it felt forced. The interview went well despite some of the questions seeming a bit too loaded, or so I thought. When I checked my application status online a few days later, they changed it to "no longer under consideration" when i emailed my HR contact, she stated that they went forward with a more qualified candidated. Considering the ridiculous turn around that they have, I think it is fairly obvious that they are not picking the right candidates, and I stated many times that this was my career choice. Some of my colleagues think that my ethnicity played a part in their decisions, but that is a matter that I am not willing to get into without proof. Now I will find another company to take my skill to.

Interview Questions

• Can you name a time that you had a conflict with a coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (Carlsbad, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

first, video interview which record your response to the questions they submitted before. you can record your response again and again until you're satisfied with it then submit it. they even give you some guidelines and tips how to do it.
    second, personal interview which you go to the location to have an interview with HR then lab manager.
    third, technical interview which you go to the location again to show how well you can adjust to the lab environments and equipments.
    then you wait...

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (Carlsbad, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

began with a video interview. the video interview gives you the chance to answer the questions multiple times until you are satisfied. The second interview is on site. The interview begins with a presentation of the job, then I met with two different individuals separately. The third interview you are asked to grade a diamond.

Preliminary Grader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

First an online application was completed followed by a video interview. Upon completion, an in-person interview follows where you and two members of management exchange sit in a room and interview.

Security Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America in March 2015.

Interview

One phone Interview if you catch their attention, you will be called for one on one interview. It usually takes about 2 weeks or more once again if you really catch their attentions over the phone. It might be even quicker!

Interview Questions

• Are you familliar with Lenel System (it's a video viewer softwar to monitor camera and alarms)   Answer Question