Gemological Institute of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 1, 2017

3.1

Compensation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

Applied online, had a phone screening with the recruiter and then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Followed up with the recruiter in regards to the phone interview, who provided no information as to where I was in the process. Continued to follow up with the recruiter who stated that they did not have any new information. Very unprofessional as to the lack of response from the hiring manager/recruiter. However, after looking at the reviews of this company, it appears that I dodged a bullet!!

Procurement Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America.

Interview

Pre-screen interview was somewhat odd. I wasn't asked very many questions and had to wait two weeks to hear back. It was very brief and the questions were broad and difficult to answer. The time spent was mostly focused on questions I had for her. I didn't feel as if I was asked any questions about my experience or how I could be a good fit.

Preliminary Diamond Grader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Shortly after, I received an invitation for a online video interview. The questions were very straight forward and you were given unlimited tries to record your response. Soon after I submitted this, I received a call to schedule an in-person interview. The in-person interview was done with two interviewers and they asked behavior questions and questions that asked me to reflect on how I handled previous situations. At the end, I was scheduled for a technical assessment interview. A few day later, I went in and learned a bit about diamond grading and then did an assessment using the microscope. I was offered the position less than a week after. In all, the process was very fast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (New York, NY).

Interview

i received a call 3 days after i applied online, got an interview onsite with three managers, too many behavioral question, each one has a question sheet with like 20 question each.
    Although i graduated from GIA as a diamond grader, i never got the job.

Interview Questions

• SWOT analysis question, tell me about your previous job, how would you react to a certain situation etc.   1 Answer

Watch Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (Jersey City, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

I spoke to 3 different people. During the actual interview, they are all texting on their phones the whole time which turned me off from the start. They didn't really ask me any questions either. Overall, it was a weird interview for me...

IT Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (San Diego, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone screening interview with a manager who I've heard is no longer there. Very long pauses as the manager transcribed responses. Very standard, stilted questions. Very little follow up to my answers. The interviewer was polite and respectful. I received no response to my thank you note. It was then over 2 months before I got a system generated letter telling me I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

There was a video interview in which there were prewritten questions and you merely record yourself answering the questions and have an unlimited number of edits. There was later a group interview which really played more of a role as an informational seeing that everyone was moved on to the next round of interviews. The second to last interview was with 2 senior members of the lab and then finally a technical interview. These were all on different days.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for GIA   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online through GIA's website and got an internet interview immediately. One week later I got an email for onsite interview. The first interview is more like a meeting than an interview because basically all the candidates were just sitting in the conference room and listening to HR to introduce GIA and the diamond grader position. The real in person interview happened in the week after that and I did went there because HR said they don't sponsorship H1B visa for that position.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions. Tell me about a previous job or task that required you to be detailed and accurate in your work. What are your long term goal and short term goals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gemological Institute of America (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

I would suggest people to not apply to GIA for any position as it is not worthwhile. It was a waste of my time, energy and money.

This was an interview scheduled for 1pm. I waited for about 30 minutes until somebody from HR finally came. The first part of the interview was an overview of what GIA is and does, the second part was the one on one interview where none of the questions related to the job position or company. Majority of the questions were behavioral questions which made me feel like I was in a psychologist's office. The last part of the interview was a technical test where you have to grade a diamond . The interview lasted for 4 hours.

I was told that I would know in 2 weeks whether or not I got the job. I contacted them after 2 weeks, no reply. Contacted them again after a month and they said that they will tell me after interviewing a few more applicants. After a few more follow up emails with no response from GIA, they finally replied stating that they have filled up all the grader positions.

Overall, my experience with GIA was terrible. The management is a complete mess. They say it is a non-profit organization, but it is not.

Diamond Grader Interview

Interview

I applied to around 20 positions over the last 4 years. The first time i got called in immediately for a group interview, then for an in person with the technical director. Upon meeting Her, she seemed cold but I figured it was her poker face and did not think anything of it when I was rejected. I had an interview a second time a year later for the customer service dept, and then this past week for Diamond Grader, and again with the technical director and the lab head, who was fairly pleasant. The technical director seemed less cold this time, but it felt forced. The interview went well despite some of the questions seeming a bit too loaded, or so I thought. When I checked my application status online a few days later, they changed it to "no longer under consideration" when i emailed my HR contact, she stated that they went forward with a more qualified candidated. Considering the ridiculous turn around that they have, I think it is fairly obvious that they are not picking the right candidates, and I stated many times that this was my career choice. Some of my colleagues think that my ethnicity played a part in their decisions, but that is a matter that I am not willing to get into without proof. Now I will find another company to take my skill to.

Interview Questions

• Can you name a time that you had a conflict with a coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question