Genentech Clinical Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Clinical Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at Genentech

3.4

Clinical Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech in August 2014.

Interview

Initial interview is a video interview approximately 22 minutes long if they like your resume. Then a series of other interviews. First in person interview may be with approximately 2 people. The next is with a panel of 5 people. Be prepared to do a mock role play on the products you are interviewing to sell. You will get emailed studies to learn and sell from. Also, be prepared to ride with one or two of their sales people for at least half a day so they can continue to get to know you. Then one or two more interviews after that. Genetech likes the STAR technique for interviewing. Answer with Situation, Task, Activity, and Result. (Research this online if not familiar with technique) One employee I rode with told me that they are a cult not a culture. By the time that was said to me it was apparent. Make sure you really want a position with this company prior to the interview process because if you are currently employed you will need to take a lot of time off to interview with this company.

Interview Questions

The "cult" statement really bothered me plus I was to be selling "me too" drugs. During my ride alongs with their best reps I was not impressed (overall, the reps seemed disengaged and exasperated) and neither were the physicians with the products they were selling.

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

SHARE method, informational interviews, preplanning, networking, product knowledge etc

Interview Questions

• These are behavior based, core competencies are key on how you will bring those to the job you are applying for   Answer Question

Negotiation

Been with company 17 years

Clinical Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

INTENSE: the process was smooth, I received all communications well ahead of time and outline of what the interviewer would be looking for. I had to do a presentation on my first interview and then have a one-on-one discussion with both interviewers. The process took 2.5 months. I am on board with this as it not only vetted me for the company, it gave me a chance to feel how the company operates and whether I would want to be a part of it. The answer is a resounding yes! I had 4 face to face interviews with different people, including a Regional VP. I also had 4 phone interviews with the Team members. I don't know if I could go through that again. But, I am in a great place, so it was all worth it.

Interview Questions

• What were you most proud of in your career? - I think this question is difficult because it is too general. I did not expect it and I stumbled on it. The rest of the questions were in line with expectations. Tell me about a situation... STAR format. I went on line to get tips on answering a lot of the anticipated questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was stellar, I didn't negotiate.

Clinical Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Initial Phone Screen
    2 face-to-face interviews with the hiring Divisional Sales Manager (first interview also included a current clinical specialist who assisted with the interview)
    First interview was a basic review of your experience
    Second interview was more situational based questions
    Final interview with the Regional Sales Manager who had the final say on the job offer
    Regional manager asked specific questions related to the territory, the product(s) and your business plan.

Interview Questions

• Basic STAR format interview questions
      "What was your greatest success in sales and how did you make it happen?"
      "What unique qualities do you bring to Genentech?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated on salary and was able to add $5000 to my starting base. Don't immediately accept the offer.. Ask to review it overnight.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech (San Antonio, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

First they phone screen you by PrinctonOne and ask you Star questions! Tell about a time when you didn't agree with your counterpart/ manager. Second,the hiring manager calls you and asks similar questions. Then panel interview start and they ask you even more star questions.
    I am not sure how anyone can get to know you and your competencies by asking star questions?

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (Newark, NJ).

Interview

SHARE format, Situation, hinder, action, results and evaluation.

Bring everything be over prepared. They say it doesn't matter but most franchises prefer therapeutic experience. Oncology managers wants someone who already has access to oncologists.

Interview Questions

• What are you working on in your career development?

Which basically means-what are your weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very fair and a generous base salary among biotech companies

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech (Raleigh, NC) in January 2011.

Interview

On the first interview saw 2 managers. They had me follow up on a question, then I got the job offer. I do not believe that this is typical. There was a time constraint.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (Seattle, WA) in March 2019.

Interview

In one morning, three separate interviews by teams of two all about 45 minutes each with a 15 minute break in between, and then switched interview rooms. While it sounds ominous, it was actually very conversational and did not seem formulaic. They had the hiring manager, or direct report, her boss, another rep from the same team, another manager/rep from a different team, and finally a regional manager. Looked like we were the final three candidates. However, I knew it was over while waiting for the first interview to start, when the hiring manager gave one of the other candidates a big hug when he arrived...I pretty much new I was going to be a checkmark to show due diligence was completed for the position. Not complaining, it was actually kind of funny and took all the pressure off as there was nothing to lose at that point! Got to work on my interviewing skills LOL!

Interview Questions

• Give me an issue or problem that happened professionally that you could do over again, how would you change it and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Great process. Quick and comprehensive. Make sure that you be yourself during the process. They look for fit for their culture as much as experience in a given specialty or geography. Talent in leadership is evident.

Interview Questions

• What will you bring to the team if you get this position?   Answer Question
    • Asked mostly thought-process and attributes questions.   Answer Question