Genentech Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 2, 2017

2.8

47 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Interview went very smoothly and was very conversational. Only informal questions about my research were asked. Then the interviewer described the research project that I might be doing. Overall it was very easy.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

It was a phone interview, following another round of phone interview. Interviewer introduced herself and the team; asked me to introduce myself and some questions about my resume.

Interview Questions

• What packages did you use for your machine learning class?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Was contacted by the hr staff for interview with the team.
    They asked me about my experience and research background. They asked about how I conducted my studies and no behavioral questions were added.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in February 2017.

Interview

2 weeks between each interview. I had an initial phone screen with average behavioral questions, another hangout interview with the hiring manager where I was asked more specific questions about my past experiences listed on my resume, and a final panel interview with more behavioral and technical questions pertaining to the position. Overall a pretty laid back and comfortable experience.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge you faced in the past and how has it shaped you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

The phone interview was a neutral experience. The interviewer read out a list of behavioral questions about my past experiences, qualifications, and interest in the internship. I had applied to the job long ago, and realized that the job wasn't really a good fit to my interests.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

It was a fairly straight-forward, typical interview. They asked a series of questions regarding my resume, and asked me to elaborate on my experiences, and why I was interested in an intern position

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Many phone screens took place. The recruiter asked a lot about my scientific experience, what I knew about the company, and about the specific departments that I was looking to intern for. Wanted to know my motivations for entering industry.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Applied online
    Two weeks later, received an email, then scheduled a phone interview
    The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes, and he mostly asked about internships/skills I had listed on my resume
    Said he would get back to me in 2-3 weeks

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with recombinant DNA technology   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received an email requesting an initial interview about a month later. Had a 15 minute phone interview with the head of the department. Was contacted via email a few days later for a second and third phone interview. Second and third interviews happened with project managers 1-2 days later, and were 15-30 minutes each over the phone. Received an offer via email about a week later. Was told I had to pass a background check before receiving the full details of the offer.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I first had a 20 minute phone interviewer with the manager who I would be working under.

The hiring manager then asked me to come in the following week for an on-campus interview. I ended up interviewing with 5 different people individually (one of which was the hiring manager). Each individual interview lasted about 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the current research project you are working on.

Have you dealt with any problems with a specific type of experiment and how did you go about troubleshooting the problem?

Why Genentech and why our department in particular?

Which of our projects are specifically interested in and why? (projects were listed in the Genentech job posting for this intern position)   Answer Question