Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2017

3.2

254 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

IT Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Very rude, obnoxious and arrogant reviewers who feel good by belittling others.
    They know they are not doing anything useful for the company nor for the humanity, and they do not want to share their good fortunes with anyone they don't know personally.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a situation when you tried to explain something to someone and could not do it.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

If you are interviewing at Genentech, please go with "zero expectation". The entire process can easily take 3+ months. Even if you are confident you nailed it at the interview, it is always best to keep your expectations low unless they call you and make a final offer. The position I interviewed for included a phone screen and onsite interviews. Both went pretty well and the overall experience meeting people at Genentech was great. Something that really inspired me and I seriously wanted the job.

Unfortunately, more than 2 months passed and there was barely any response from their end except that the interview process was still ongoing. They never really care to reach out and provide an update on what really happened about the position. My strong feedback is a company should be courteous and respectful enough to reach out to a candidate especially if they make it to the final onsite round. If they can spend an entire day interviewing candidates, they can spend few minutes of their time to reach out to them in regards to their final decision. I was extremely disappointed by the way the interview process was carried out and it poorly reflects on the company culture and employees. I hope the interview process gets better and less painful for people aspiring to get into Genentech.

Interview Questions

• Several questions around why Genentech? How do you work in a team based environment? Several situational questions around how do you handle challenges, changes etc.? Describe the depth of your knowledge in pharma industry.   Answer Question

Global Clinical Trial Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied cold online and was later given employee referral for position. Application sat in 'review' on Taleo for about four months before any contact. After the initial contact, everything moved quickly. Phone interview with hiring manager, which was mostly a review of resume and qualifications. One week later, had on-site interview. On-site interview was half-day broken into 5 sessions. Interviewers were a mix of supervisors, HR and peers working in the same Department. One interview was a panel over lunch focused on technical questions. Overall the on-site interviews consisted of typical behavioral questions with some very position-specific questions aimed at gauging understanding of job duties.

HR described the process afterwards if an offer was to be made. This consisted of reference and background check followed by offer and pairing with relocation expert.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in clinical operations, particularly, with regard to recruitment, budget development, drug forecasting, timelines and vendor management using as specific of examples as possible.   Answer Question

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Online recorded video interview mpow. Recorded interviewers would ask recorded questions. You would answer with recorded answers. Requires a computer or smart phone. Im not sure what they would do if you don't have one.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process started when I was contacted by a third party recruiter. There was a short phone screening with both the recruiter and the Genentech project lead, followed by a 5 hour on site semi-technical with several members of the group, both from IT and from other backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Basic scaling and pros and cons of different technology choices.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Was contacted by an internal recruiter on LinkedIn, had a first round with him, very nice chat, he wasn't sure which positions would fit best but he was helpful in explaining the process. Another external recruiter interview followed about 2-3 weeks after which your standard HR portion going over experience types of project etc. I was informed that they are interested in considering me for two positions within MA&S. There was radio silence for about 5 weeks then after I contacted the to inquire about the status of the application I was scheduled for the next step which was chatting with a former Genentech employee, currently a consultant. At this point I find out I'm being considered for three positions not two. I found this portion to be the weirdest since the person I talked to hadn't been with Genentech for a while but had a pleasant chat which was centered around project work and drilled down on problems solutions and implementation.

After about a week I got a generic email thanking me for the application but that no positions are currently a fit. I was taken aback but some of the other reviews prepared me for it. Could be I was truly not a fit for either of the three or that they truly don't like to hire externally. I'll never know!

Interview Questions

• Talk about a strategic project, an analytics project and a market research project!   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

I had a phone interview for scientist position which went very smoothly. She recommended me to the hiring manager which took about 2 weeks before I heard. Call with hiring manager went really smoothly, asked mainly about my experiences.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2017.

Interview

Unprofessional interview process. Administrative assistant sets up the interviews. Interviews went really well, standard behavioral questions. Direct onsite interviews - which was weird and raised my suspicion - am I just being interviewed so HR or recruiter can tick off their "multiple candidates interviewed?" box. They never respond to let you know if you are even rejected - I think I deserved to be informed, since I took time off and spent 6 hrs for their interviews - that is not professional, even after multiple follow up emails.

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for a position in the Market Analysis and Strategy Group. External candidates beware--it's an extremely long process, and you are often competing against internal candidates. I was ultimately told multiple internal candidates had applied, and I couldn't compete as they already knew the job.

It starts with a call from an external agency doing phone screens, then the next call is with another external person (former employee). The third call (presumably before the in-person) is with someone from the Genentech team you're interviewing for. My first two calls went very well.

For the third call (scheduled 5 weeks after my first call) , the interviewer was late, and immediately seemed disinterested. She cut off my response to the first question to say I was competing against internal candidates and there was essentially no chance they'd hire externally. I appreciated the interviewer's honestly and directness, but of course, I wish I hadn't invested so much time into a dead end. I understand the need to promote internally, however, it seems there is little proper communication between Genentech and their external hiring agencies. It also was a quite a long process to just let me know I was wasting my time from the start.

I'm not sure what can be done to improve this, as it's likely the company has to check off a box to comply with regulations that internal candidates compete with external ones. However, external candidates need to know what they're going into.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioural questions, e.g. how do you influence others, work in teams, manage others, etc. The 'technical' questions are very open-ended, e.g. tell me about what you're most proud of.   Answer Question

Business Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

got invited to do an interview for this position when I was interviewing for a MBA summer internship. The hiring manager was very nice, so are rest of the interviewers. The questions are not easy and you have to know the basic six-sigma and PMP methods to analyze problems, and you are expected to be able to draw flow charts at the interview. the interview lasted for about 4 hours

Interview Questions

• draw a flow chart to show how you started looking for a job and eventually arrived at this interview   1 Answer