Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2017

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

If you are interviewing for roles at Genentech, buckle up and be prepared for a very lengthy process. There is no hurry on their end and I would chalk that up to the company's reputation for being a top employer in the area. I had several phone interviews before getting to the onsite interview with several weeks of waiting in between.

Phone interviews: First interview was weird because it's a third party interviewer that asks a preset list of questions and you can hear her typing up your answers. It's strange and impersonal. Another phone interview was with someone not even working with the team (former employee) and asking another list of questions but at least this one was more personable. You don't get much value since they don't work on the team and you have no clue who the hiring managers are. It's pretty vague up until this point. Questions focused on your experience and ability with strategy and analysis.

Onsite interviews: Prepare to be there for the full day. It's long,it's grueling and you meet many people. They all ask the same questions, mainly behavioral. They want to know how you are able to work in teams, cope with difficult people/situations, prioritize tasks, etc. I found this to be strange since the only opportunity to showcase your analytical ability is in the case study of which is clearly a graph that only internal people can understand. Case study would have been better if you had a few minutes by yourself to digest it before discussing it. The other interesting component to the interview is the presentation. They ask you to prepare a presentation on a topic of your choice but it should showcase your strategy and analytical abilities. You present to people you interviewed with. The hardest part is that you are presenting at the end of the day when you're dog tired from talking to 10 other people.

Overall I would say the experience was good to have under my belt. With the fight for talent in the area I wonder if they lose people for having such a prolonged process. You'll find yourself having to constantly follow up between rounds. While everyone was very nice and friendly, I questioned their setup while I was there. Like someone else pointed out here on Glassdoor, everyone seems to be in an office which felt very siloed and not team oriented. Yet most questions focused on your ability to work in teams.The atmosphere was also dead quiet and not buzzing with activity as I have seen in other companies. This may work for some but it is something to think about whether this is the type of culture you want to be in. It is clear they have a hard time finding people for these roles (they are constantly reposting the job) and I think it's due to their interview process and style. Maybe it's time to try something new.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions - every interviewer will ask this. Be prepared with stories (STAR format) to address topics on how you work in teams, handle difficult situations and people, how you handle influence others that don't report to you, etc. There is one case study which you can't prepare for. Most of the interviews is smoke and mirrors - the interview you need to ace is the case study. Having one case study be the major data point is a bit ridiculous. I would say that if this is the most important criteria the team should think about having multiple case studies to give a better picture on a person's ability and focus less on the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Genentech Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Staffing Programs

Thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We appreciate your opinions and insight about our interview process with our Market Analysis & Strategy group. Since you have covered a ... More

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Online recorded video interview mpow. Recorded interviewers would ask recorded questions. You would answer with recorded answers. Requires a computer or smart phone. Im not sure what they would do if you don't have one.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It's a long process. Depending on your level it can be 2 or 3 rounds of interview. Be ready to be grilled in the interview. They have some internal analytics that only used in Genentech, they will show it to you and will ask you to analyze.
    1) Phone screening
    2) First round of in person interview - meeting your Hiring Managers and other Managers in the Hierarchy
    3) 2nd round of in person interview - where you meet your business partners
    4) Panel presentations etc. (if applicable)

Interview Questions

• During my interview, the Hiring Manager just pulled out some old presentations where they showed the uncertainty and risk analysis) and they asked me to analyze those.   1 Answer

Process Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

They asked the most difficult questions for an initial phone interview. Lots of specific problem solving questions, rather than trying to get to know me. It was basically an oral exam about proteins. I thought I was qualified for the position, since I had relevant lab experience, but they didn't ask about anything on my resume. They were only concerned about my knowledge on proteins, rather than how I have reduced processes for other companies. The company took about two weeks to set up a phone interview after they initially contacted me. (I honestly thought they forgot about me since it took so long.)

Interview Questions

• If you have a completely empty room with only a cylinder filled with water, how do you measure the about of water?   3 Answers
    • How would you determine what went wrong when working with a protein in a gel and it moved too quickly through the gel.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

The process for me was not normal. The steps were: 1. Submit resume to the position; 2. Recruiter contacted me do you want to apply; 3. Interviewed by the hiring manager; 4. Recruiter sent me a consent form to conduct the background check; 5. Full Interview; 6. Receive offer in 3 days; and 7. Package sent via Fedex.

Interview Questions

• Hiring manager focuses on the technical, and the full interview (seven separate) focused on behavioral questions.   Answer Question

QC Associate III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Got a phone interview first, and then on-site interview with one of the team members, and manager thought a phone screen. This is so bad experience. I hope the manger could interview with me face-to-face, this is kind of respect. but unfortunately, the manager seems don't like me. My interview only took about 10 min. Here I can say that if they don't want to hire me, they don't need to waste their time to interview with me, and I don't need to take a day off for this suck interview.

Process Excellence Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Difficult and intense, and a lot of behavioral questions. Doesn't matter how you answer and how long you have prepared, they hire the ones they like and the candidate's manager had reached out to the hiring manager to discuss. Otherwise you don't have a chance.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to prioritize your workload within a short timeline.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (Chicago, IL) in August 2012.

Interview

Lengthy and time consuming panel interview. Too many people that could ask varying questions. Once I moved forward in the interview process I did not feel like the hiring manger used desertion for the ultimate decision.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Thorough, intense, professional, friendly, with very high standards. They really try to understand who you are, what your motivation to work at Genentech is, if you have a balanced life, if you are willing to work hard, if you are skillful and knowledgable about your area of expertise, and what your charecter is like. I met with most Senior Scientists, and some SRAs. Arrived at 9 and left at 5pm.

Director Process/Release Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech in February 2011.

Interview

Company flew me to SFO from NJ.
    After a 6 hour flight, I experienced what could easily be described as a 'gang' interview.
    Grilling went on, with No Break, for no less than Ten Hours.
    When I finally met with my Direct Report I was Mentally and Physically exhausted.

Interview Questions

• Quite honestly, I can't remember.   1 Answer

Clinical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (Newark, NJ).

Interview

SHARE format, Situation, hinder, action, results and evaluation.

Bring everything be over prepared. They say it doesn't matter but most franchises prefer therapeutic experience. Oncology managers wants someone who already has access to oncologists.

Interview Questions

• What are you working on in your career development?

Which basically means-what are your weaknesses
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Very fair and a generous base salary among biotech companies