Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2017

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

If you are interviewing for roles at Genentech, buckle up and be prepared for a very lengthy process. There is no hurry on their end and I would chalk that up to the company's reputation for being a top employer in the area. I had several phone interviews before getting to the onsite interview with several weeks of waiting in between.

Phone interviews: First interview was weird because it's a third party interviewer that asks a preset list of questions and you can hear her typing up your answers. It's strange and impersonal. Another phone interview was with someone not even working with the team (former employee) and asking another list of questions but at least this one was more personable. You don't get much value since they don't work on the team and you have no clue who the hiring managers are. It's pretty vague up until this point. Questions focused on your experience and ability with strategy and analysis.

Onsite interviews: Prepare to be there for the full day. It's long,it's grueling and you meet many people. They all ask the same questions, mainly behavioral. They want to know how you are able to work in teams, cope with difficult people/situations, prioritize tasks, etc. I found this to be strange since the only opportunity to showcase your analytical ability is in the case study of which is clearly a graph that only internal people can understand. Case study would have been better if you had a few minutes by yourself to digest it before discussing it. The other interesting component to the interview is the presentation. They ask you to prepare a presentation on a topic of your choice but it should showcase your strategy and analytical abilities. You present to people you interviewed with. The hardest part is that you are presenting at the end of the day when you're dog tired from talking to 10 other people.

Overall I would say the experience was good to have under my belt. With the fight for talent in the area I wonder if they lose people for having such a prolonged process. You'll find yourself having to constantly follow up between rounds. While everyone was very nice and friendly, I questioned their setup while I was there. Like someone else pointed out here on Glassdoor, everyone seems to be in an office which felt very siloed and not team oriented. Yet most questions focused on your ability to work in teams.The atmosphere was also dead quiet and not buzzing with activity as I have seen in other companies. This may work for some but it is something to think about whether this is the type of culture you want to be in. It is clear they have a hard time finding people for these roles (they are constantly reposting the job) and I think it's due to their interview process and style. Maybe it's time to try something new.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions - every interviewer will ask this. Be prepared with stories (STAR format) to address topics on how you work in teams, handle difficult situations and people, how you handle influence others that don't report to you, etc. There is one case study which you can't prepare for. Most of the interviews is smoke and mirrors - the interview you need to ace is the case study. Having one case study be the major data point is a bit ridiculous. I would say that if this is the most important criteria the team should think about having multiple case studies to give a better picture on a person's ability and focus less on the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Genentech Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Staffing Programs

Thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We appreciate your opinions and insight about our interview process with our Market Analysis & Strategy group. Since you have covered a... More

Senior Admin Asso Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Phone interview . Then had a in person interview with 4 ppl at 1/2 hr each. Very relaxed environment.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Phone screen followed by interviews by 4 different people at different levels in the organization. it took 2 days and 2 hours each day for the phone interviews.
    They went well, however, I was interviewing for the position from PA and i am guessing they hired a local candidate.

Interview Questions

• Very behavioral questions. Almost no technical questions, but asked about my previous experiences and how it could relate to the position at Genentech.
      Very useful interview, and I got a lot of experience from it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Submitted resume and took quite some time to get contacted for interview. There was first a phone interview to get acquainted with the lab and personal research background. The second interview was on-site, in which all the lab members asked experience/personality-related questions for 30 minutes each, followed by a final interview with the manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach discovering if _____ was a viable drug target?   Answer Question

Interview

On campus. I was not short-listed for interview, so bid my points for the open slot.
    I did not have industry background or functional background. It seemed to me that either of these was crucial to have.
    Overall, my interview was best I could do without the industry background. Though the selected candidates were really good candidates as well - so their selection criteria is definitely good enough.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to wake up in the morning?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

This process was absolutely a waste of my time. I was given two travel options of either leaving right after or staying and be given a personal tour of the area. I took the area overview and they started contacting me regarding relocation and asked for my references and made it seem that they were going to give me the job. The interview itself was extremely difficult. I was interviewed initially by two people over the phone than invited for an onsite interview. I had 7 interviews back to back which was extremely grueling and there were nine other candidates for the same position. They ripped through every detail on my resume and asked me annoying behavioral type of questions which were difficult to answer because they came out of left field totally unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Spend time reviewing behavioral interview questions they ask alot of them   Answer Question

Drug Safety Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

As with all interviews at Genentech, this a process that involves several people from all levels. Questions are both behavioral and experience related questions.

Interview Questions

• Is there a question which you thought would be asked which was not asked?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Participated in two rounds of interviews, probably eight interviews in all.

Interview Questions

• Was asked very technical, occupational questions. No softballs.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

I had two phone interviews before I was scheduled for a in person interview.
    The in-person interview was a 3 hour ordeal - six 30 minute interviews scheduled one after another with a work lunch to follow.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were basic and technical but one question regarding research I did in college was a little confusing: how I compensated for the fact that an ontology automatically results in having to exclude some possibly important data. Since, I didn't design the study but was just an intern, I was a little stumped.   1 Answer

Interview

Phone interview, and then after passing that a 5-6 interview with 6 different interviewers ranging from floor technicians to managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation since it's an entry level position.

Technology Manager Interview

Interview

There were several phases of phone interviews then about 6 hours of interviews on site. First came the phone interviews, basically screening to see if I was a legitimate candidate. This is a very rigorous screening process and they are experts at it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, they present an offer and you take it or leave it.