Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

If you are interviewing for roles at Genentech, buckle up and be prepared for a very lengthy process. There is no hurry on their end and I would chalk that up to the company's reputation for being a top employer in the area. I had several phone interviews before getting to the onsite interview with several weeks of waiting in between.

Phone interviews: First interview was weird because it's a third party interviewer that asks a preset list of questions and you can hear her typing up your answers. It's strange and impersonal. Another phone interview was with someone not even working with the team (former employee) and asking another list of questions but at least this one was more personable. You don't get much value since they don't work on the team and you have no clue who the hiring managers are. It's pretty vague up until this point. Questions focused on your experience and ability with strategy and analysis.

Onsite interviews: Prepare to be there for the full day. It's long,it's grueling and you meet many people. They all ask the same questions, mainly behavioral. They want to know how you are able to work in teams, cope with difficult people/situations, prioritize tasks, etc. I found this to be strange since the only opportunity to showcase your analytical ability is in the case study of which is clearly a graph that only internal people can understand. Case study would have been better if you had a few minutes by yourself to digest it before discussing it. The other interesting component to the interview is the presentation. They ask you to prepare a presentation on a topic of your choice but it should showcase your strategy and analytical abilities. You present to people you interviewed with. The hardest part is that you are presenting at the end of the day when you're dog tired from talking to 10 other people.

Overall I would say the experience was good to have under my belt. With the fight for talent in the area I wonder if they lose people for having such a prolonged process. You'll find yourself having to constantly follow up between rounds. While everyone was very nice and friendly, I questioned their setup while I was there. Like someone else pointed out here on Glassdoor, everyone seems to be in an office which felt very siloed and not team oriented. Yet most questions focused on your ability to work in teams.The atmosphere was also dead quiet and not buzzing with activity as I have seen in other companies. This may work for some but it is something to think about whether this is the type of culture you want to be in. It is clear they have a hard time finding people for these roles (they are constantly reposting the job) and I think it's due to their interview process and style. Maybe it's time to try something new.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions - every interviewer will ask this. Be prepared with stories (STAR format) to address topics on how you work in teams, handle difficult situations and people, how you handle influence others that don't report to you, etc. There is one case study which you can't prepare for. Most of the interviews is smoke and mirrors - the interview you need to ace is the case study. Having one case study be the major data point is a bit ridiculous. I would say that if this is the most important criteria the team should think about having multiple case studies to give a better picture on a person's ability and focus less on the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Genentech Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Staffing Programs

Thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We appreciate your opinions and insight about our interview process with our Market Analysis & Strategy group. Since you have covered a ... More

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Was contacted by an internal recruiter on LinkedIn, had a first round with him, very nice chat, he wasn't sure which positions would fit best but he was helpful in explaining the process. Another external recruiter interview followed about 2-3 weeks after which your standard HR portion going over experience types of project etc. I was informed that they are interested in considering me for two positions within MA&S. There was radio silence for about 5 weeks then after I contacted the to inquire about the status of the application I was scheduled for the next step which was chatting with a former Genentech employee, currently a consultant. At this point I find out I'm being considered for three positions not two. I found this portion to be the weirdest since the person I talked to hadn't been with Genentech for a while but had a pleasant chat which was centered around project work and drilled down on problems solutions and implementation.

After about a week I got a generic email thanking me for the application but that no positions are currently a fit. I was taken aback but some of the other reviews prepared me for it. Could be I was truly not a fit for either of the three or that they truly don't like to hire externally. I'll never know!

Interview Questions

• Talk about a strategic project, an analytics project and a market research project!   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

I had a phone interview for scientist position which went very smoothly. She recommended me to the hiring manager which took about 2 weeks before I heard. Call with hiring manager went really smoothly, asked mainly about my experiences.

Interview Questions

• What were my top two most significant accomplishments?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

If you are interviewing at Genentech, please go with "zero expectation". The entire process can easily take 3+ months. Even if you are confident you nailed it at the interview, it is always best to keep your expectations low unless they call you and make a final offer. The position I interviewed for included a phone screen and onsite interviews. Both went pretty well and the overall experience meeting people at Genentech was great. Something that really inspired me and I seriously wanted the job.

Unfortunately, more than 2 months passed and there was barely any response from their end except that the interview process was still ongoing. They never really care to reach out and provide an update on what really happened about the position. My strong feedback is a company should be courteous and respectful enough to reach out to a candidate especially if they make it to the final onsite round. If they can spend an entire day interviewing candidates, they can spend few minutes of their time to reach out to them in regards to their final decision. I was extremely disappointed by the way the interview process was carried out and it poorly reflects on the company culture and employees. I hope the interview process gets better and less painful for people aspiring to get into Genentech.

Interview Questions

• Several questions around why Genentech? How do you work in a team based environment? Several situational questions around how do you handle challenges, changes etc.? Describe the depth of your knowledge in pharma industry.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech in March 2017.

Interview

I submitted the application online and got an email saying they want to interview me. It was a 30-minute interview mainly about my current research project and a little bit about previous publication. They just want to know whether you did the work and know your project. It was easy. I got the offer the next day after my interview.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First had telephonic call with hiring manager and then invited me for onsite interview with SSFO team members and google hangout interview with Basel team members. Interview went fine and was expecting a positive response but didn't get any response after waiting for 3 weeks so had to follow up with hiring manager and explained to him how I will be ideal fit for the position . Hiring manager was nice enough to respond me back saying he was put on hold for now and will make his decision in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I got an email from HR saying that the team has decided to pursue other candidates due to depth of experience. It looks like team felt that I'm over qualified for this position so they rejected me but wondered why they invited me for interviews and have to drag on 3 months to make a decision. I hope Genentech improves their interview process and make sure they value candidate time as well.

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (Novato, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had to complete an initial application online and a few weeks later, I received an email asking me to fill out a secondary application. Later, I was asked for a convenient time to do an an online interview via webcam.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe your experience with working with large amounts of data, and what programs are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with two hiring managers. I was asked a series of behavioral type questions as well as the typical "why do you want to work here" question. Interview lasted less than 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you disagreed with a coworker and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Interview went very smoothly and was very conversational. Only informal questions about my research were asked. Then the interviewer described the research project that I might be doing. Overall it was very easy.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It's a long process. Depending on your level it can be 2 or 3 rounds of interview. Be ready to be grilled in the interview. They have some internal analytics that only used in Genentech, they will show it to you and will ask you to analyze.
    1) Phone screening
    2) First round of in person interview - meeting your Hiring Managers and other Managers in the Hierarchy
    3) 2nd round of in person interview - where you meet your business partners
    4) Panel presentations etc. (if applicable)

Interview Questions

• During my interview, the Hiring Manager just pulled out some old presentations where they showed the uncertainty and risk analysis) and they asked me to analyze those.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

It was a phone interview, following another round of phone interview. Interviewer introduced herself and the team; asked me to introduce myself and some questions about my resume.

Interview Questions

• What packages did you use for your machine learning class?   Answer Question