Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Dec 15, 2017

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

If you are interviewing for roles at Genentech, buckle up and be prepared for a very lengthy process. There is no hurry on their end and I would chalk that up to the company's reputation for being a top employer in the area. I had several phone interviews before getting to the onsite interview with several weeks of waiting in between.

Phone interviews: First interview was weird because it's a third party interviewer that asks a preset list of questions and you can hear her typing up your answers. It's strange and impersonal. Another phone interview was with someone not even working with the team (former employee) and asking another list of questions but at least this one was more personable. You don't get much value since they don't work on the team and you have no clue who the hiring managers are. It's pretty vague up until this point. Questions focused on your experience and ability with strategy and analysis.

Onsite interviews: Prepare to be there for the full day. It's long,it's grueling and you meet many people. They all ask the same questions, mainly behavioral. They want to know how you are able to work in teams, cope with difficult people/situations, prioritize tasks, etc. I found this to be strange since the only opportunity to showcase your analytical ability is in the case study of which is clearly a graph that only internal people can understand. Case study would have been better if you had a few minutes by yourself to digest it before discussing it. The other interesting component to the interview is the presentation. They ask you to prepare a presentation on a topic of your choice but it should showcase your strategy and analytical abilities. You present to people you interviewed with. The hardest part is that you are presenting at the end of the day when you're dog tired from talking to 10 other people.

Overall I would say the experience was good to have under my belt. With the fight for talent in the area I wonder if they lose people for having such a prolonged process. You'll find yourself having to constantly follow up between rounds. While everyone was very nice and friendly, I questioned their setup while I was there. Like someone else pointed out here on Glassdoor, everyone seems to be in an office which felt very siloed and not team oriented. Yet most questions focused on your ability to work in teams.The atmosphere was also dead quiet and not buzzing with activity as I have seen in other companies. This may work for some but it is something to think about whether this is the type of culture you want to be in. It is clear they have a hard time finding people for these roles (they are constantly reposting the job) and I think it's due to their interview process and style. Maybe it's time to try something new.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions - every interviewer will ask this. Be prepared with stories (STAR format) to address topics on how you work in teams, handle difficult situations and people, how you handle influence others that don't report to you, etc. There is one case study which you can't prepare for. Most of the interviews is smoke and mirrors - the interview you need to ace is the case study. Having one case study be the major data point is a bit ridiculous. I would say that if this is the most important criteria the team should think about having multiple case studies to give a better picture on a person's ability and focus less on the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Genentech Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Staffing Programs

Thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We appreciate your opinions and insight about our interview process with our Market Analysis & Strategy group. Since you have covered a... More

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Conversations with managers in a conference room following submission of resume online and informational interviews with hiring manager and potential colleagues. Several one on one interviews and a couple panel interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you did this,or that, or where this happened or didn't, or where you were faced with this or that challenge.   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Had nine staff members interview me at one time in a conference room. I had individual interviews with the Associate Director of the Department, Lead Project Manager, technical staff in software validation and/or IT infrastructure Project Manager and other Managers running other CSV Projects.

Interview Questions

• Part 11 Computer System Validation Strategies   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

It was a very well-structured interview. The first round was taken in-person (1-on-1 based) about 30min and questions are generally behavioral questions. They didn't ask us any in-depth one. There's a second round in the following year which is made up of a full-day intense interview.

Interview Questions

• Q. Please share your recent leadership experience.   Answer Question
    • Q. What is your strength or weakness?   Answer Question
    • Q. How do you come up with solutions when I feel like you have no experience or no one to ask?   Answer Question

Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Multiple rounds. Lengthy process from initial application submission to final decision. Interview done in front of a panel of leadership/upper management. Preparation is important as well as presenting some sort of portfolio I.e resume, cover letter, accomplishments, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond in the work place   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

A couple of rounds of interviews plus a final panel interview. Interviews ranged from one on one to panel interviews. Some were more casual conversations and others more difficult behavioral related questions.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Genentech and the position you applied for?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Only phone interview. It was very easy and was about 15 minutes or so. They mostly asked behavioral questions pertaining to the position. The whole process took about 2 weeks for me to get hired on. Background check is required.

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with job owner and HR, on-site interview with job owner and team members. Questions touched on technical knowledge but were generally getting to you know, your background, and what you wanted to do at Genentech (posting was for <5 year experience engineer).

Interview Questions

• Describe a sealing motor starter in ladder logic   Answer Question
    • What's the main characteristic of a valve   Answer Question
    • Describe what makes process control systems unique compared to general computers   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Interview

online application --> on campus --> on site
    the whole process lasted for 3 weeks and the on-site interview is not very conventional. I waited for 40 mins until the teams showed up. They also ask very chill questions like your hobbies.

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with the hiring manager, who described the responsibilities of the position and asked general questions about my experience and skills. I went on-site for an interview a couple of weeks later. The interview was all day (8am-5pm) followed by a dinner and consisted of 30 minute 1:1s and a 1 hour seminar. The company is required to interview multiple candidates, so I did not hear back for approximately 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to work with a difficult person? How did you manage it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Genentech? Why now?   Answer Question

Regulatory Affairs Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for half of a day with 12 people. It was a very smooth process from checking in to the moment I left the building. Everyone had their own set of questions to ask, so you don't get redundant questions and start repeating your story from one interviewer from the next.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you dealt with a difficult person, and how did you get results?   Answer Question