Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 9, 2017

3.2

Business Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

got invited to do an interview for this position when I was interviewing for a MBA summer internship. The hiring manager was very nice, so are rest of the interviewers. The questions are not easy and you have to know the basic six-sigma and PMP methods to analyze problems, and you are expected to be able to draw flow charts at the interview. the interview lasted for about 4 hours

Interview Questions

• draw a flow chart to show how you started looking for a job and eventually arrived at this interview   1 Answer

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Online recorded video interview mpow. Recorded interviewers would ask recorded questions. You would answer with recorded answers. Requires a computer or smart phone. Im not sure what they would do if you don't have one.

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for a position in the Market Analysis and Strategy Group. External candidates beware--it's an extremely long process, and you are often competing against internal candidates. I was ultimately told multiple internal candidates had applied, and I couldn't compete as they already knew the job.

It starts with a call from an external agency doing phone screens, then the next call is with another external person (former employee). The third call (presumably before the in-person) is with someone from the Genentech team you're interviewing for. My first two calls went very well.

For the third call (scheduled 5 weeks after my first call) , the interviewer was late, and immediately seemed disinterested. She cut off my response to the first question to say I was competing against internal candidates and there was essentially no chance they'd hire externally. I appreciated the interviewer's honestly and directness, but of course, I wish I hadn't invested so much time into a dead end. I understand the need to promote internally, however, it seems there is little proper communication between Genentech and their external hiring agencies. It also was a quite a long process to just let me know I was wasting my time from the start.

I'm not sure what can be done to improve this, as it's likely the company has to check off a box to comply with regulations that internal candidates compete with external ones. However, external candidates need to know what they're going into.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioural questions, e.g. how do you influence others, work in teams, manage others, etc. The 'technical' questions are very open-ended, e.g. tell me about what you're most proud of.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2017.

Interview

Unprofessional interview process. Administrative assistant sets up the interviews. Interviews went really well, standard behavioral questions. Direct onsite interviews - which was weird and raised my suspicion - am I just being interviewed so HR or recruiter can tick off their "multiple candidates interviewed?" box. They never respond to let you know if you are even rejected - I think I deserved to be informed, since I took time off and spent 6 hrs for their interviews - that is not professional, even after multiple follow up emails.

Global Clinical Trial Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied cold online and was later given employee referral for position. Application sat in 'review' on Taleo for about four months before any contact. After the initial contact, everything moved quickly. Phone interview with hiring manager, which was mostly a review of resume and qualifications. One week later, had on-site interview. On-site interview was half-day broken into 5 sessions. Interviewers were a mix of supervisors, HR and peers working in the same Department. One interview was a panel over lunch focused on technical questions. Overall the on-site interviews consisted of typical behavioral questions with some very position-specific questions aimed at gauging understanding of job duties.

HR described the process afterwards if an offer was to be made. This consisted of reference and background check followed by offer and pairing with relocation expert.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in clinical operations, particularly, with regard to recruitment, budget development, drug forecasting, timelines and vendor management using as specific of examples as possible.   Answer Question

Advisory Board Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech in March 2016.

Interview

I have been applying for a long time! Thus, getting to work at the company is a long shot for external people. The only way an external person can get their foot in the door is by being a contractor.

My experiences:
    Like any external person I applied on line and had a phone interview. Weeks later yes weeks (they take their precious time and never return your emails/phone calls) interviewed with the team. For this role, I was told that the hiring manager was in transition to move to a different department but was still responsible for filling the position. At the conclusion of my interview I felt great, I rocked it! Everyone on the team was friendly and impressed by my background and skill sets. I was anticipating to hear an offer. Man was I wrong!

Three weeks later, to my supersize the Hiring Manager emailed me and apologized that she was no longer responsible for filling the role. As time passed I was called by the New Hiring Manager who interviewed me again via phone. After the call she wanted me to come in for another in person interview. I was thinking wow this is a good sign. However, that opportunity never came because a week later I received an email from the manger who said that the role will is now closed due to" budget cuts".

Two weeks later the same role pops up on the career website. ("Budget cuts" hmmm) and I contact the new Hiring Manager again and try to inquire if I would still be considered being that the position was open again and my interview was still fresh.

I was told that "We have some internal candidates that will be looking at first". I could read in between the lines and knew my dream job was gone. Excuse after excuse really made me upset.

So for all of us "external candidates" good luck on getting a job here. Not only do you have to have a rock star resume, you have to be able to compete with internal folks who get 1st dibs on the job. Which leads me to think why do they open the positions to external people when we don't have a chance?!

Though, this experience was not the best I am still hopefully that one day I can break the "external label" and work for the company. If and whenever that happens I will fight for bringing fresh minded perspective, externally!

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Was contacted by an internal recruiter on LinkedIn, had a first round with him, very nice chat, he wasn't sure which positions would fit best but he was helpful in explaining the process. Another external recruiter interview followed about 2-3 weeks after which your standard HR portion going over experience types of project etc. I was informed that they are interested in considering me for two positions within MA&S. There was radio silence for about 5 weeks then after I contacted the to inquire about the status of the application I was scheduled for the next step which was chatting with a former Genentech employee, currently a consultant. At this point I find out I'm being considered for three positions not two. I found this portion to be the weirdest since the person I talked to hadn't been with Genentech for a while but had a pleasant chat which was centered around project work and drilled down on problems solutions and implementation.

After about a week I got a generic email thanking me for the application but that no positions are currently a fit. I was taken aback but some of the other reviews prepared me for it. Could be I was truly not a fit for either of the three or that they truly don't like to hire externally. I'll never know!

Interview Questions

• Talk about a strategic project, an analytics project and a market research project!   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

I had a phone interview for scientist position which went very smoothly. She recommended me to the hiring manager which took about 2 weeks before I heard. Call with hiring manager went really smoothly, asked mainly about my experiences.

Interview Questions

• What were my top two most significant accomplishments?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

If you are interviewing at Genentech, please go with "zero expectation". The entire process can easily take 3+ months. Even if you are confident you nailed it at the interview, it is always best to keep your expectations low unless they call you and make a final offer. The position I interviewed for included a phone screen and onsite interviews. Both went pretty well and the overall experience meeting people at Genentech was great. Something that really inspired me and I seriously wanted the job.

Unfortunately, more than 2 months passed and there was barely any response from their end except that the interview process was still ongoing. They never really care to reach out and provide an update on what really happened about the position. My strong feedback is a company should be courteous and respectful enough to reach out to a candidate especially if they make it to the final onsite round. If they can spend an entire day interviewing candidates, they can spend few minutes of their time to reach out to them in regards to their final decision. I was extremely disappointed by the way the interview process was carried out and it poorly reflects on the company culture and employees. I hope the interview process gets better and less painful for people aspiring to get into Genentech.

Interview Questions

• Several questions around why Genentech? How do you work in a team based environment? Several situational questions around how do you handle challenges, changes etc.? Describe the depth of your knowledge in pharma industry.   Answer Question

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First had telephonic call with hiring manager and then invited me for onsite interview with SSFO team members and google hangout interview with Basel team members. Interview went fine and was expecting a positive response but didn't get any response after waiting for 3 weeks so had to follow up with hiring manager and explained to him how I will be ideal fit for the position . Hiring manager was nice enough to respond me back saying he was put on hold for now and will make his decision in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I got an email from HR saying that the team has decided to pursue other candidates due to depth of experience. It looks like team felt that I'm over qualified for this position so they rejected me but wondered why they invited me for interviews and have to drag on 3 months to make a decision. I hope Genentech improves their interview process and make sure they value candidate time as well.