Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

3.1

610 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

If you are interviewing for roles at Genentech, buckle up and be prepared for a very lengthy process. There is no hurry on their end and I would chalk that up to the company's reputation for being a top employer in the area. I had several phone interviews before getting to the onsite interview with several weeks of waiting in between.

Phone interviews: First interview was weird because it's a third party interviewer that asks a preset list of questions and you can hear her typing up your answers. It's strange and impersonal. Another phone interview was with someone not even working with the team (former employee) and asking another list of questions but at least this one was more personable. You don't get much value since they don't work on the team and you have no clue who the hiring managers are. It's pretty vague up until this point. Questions focused on your experience and ability with strategy and analysis.

Onsite interviews: Prepare to be there for the full day. It's long,it's grueling and you meet many people. They all ask the same questions, mainly behavioral. They want to know how you are able to work in teams, cope with difficult people/situations, prioritize tasks, etc. I found this to be strange since the only opportunity to showcase your analytical ability is in the case study of which is clearly a graph that only internal people can understand. Case study would have been better if you had a few minutes by yourself to digest it before discussing it. The other interesting component to the interview is the presentation. They ask you to prepare a presentation on a topic of your choice but it should showcase your strategy and analytical abilities. You present to people you interviewed with. The hardest part is that you are presenting at the end of the day when you're dog tired from talking to 10 other people.

Overall I would say the experience was good to have under my belt. With the fight for talent in the area I wonder if they lose people for having such a prolonged process. You'll find yourself having to constantly follow up between rounds. While everyone was very nice and friendly, I questioned their setup while I was there. Like someone else pointed out here on Glassdoor, everyone seems to be in an office which felt very siloed and not team oriented. Yet most questions focused on your ability to work in teams.The atmosphere was also dead quiet and not buzzing with activity as I have seen in other companies. This may work for some but it is something to think about whether this is the type of culture you want to be in. It is clear they have a hard time finding people for these roles (they are constantly reposting the job) and I think it's due to their interview process and style. Maybe it's time to try something new.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions - every interviewer will ask this. Be prepared with stories (STAR format) to address topics on how you work in teams, handle difficult situations and people, how you handle influence others that don't report to you, etc. There is one case study which you can't prepare for. Most of the interviews is smoke and mirrors - the interview you need to ace is the case study. Having one case study be the major data point is a bit ridiculous. I would say that if this is the most important criteria the team should think about having multiple case studies to give a better picture on a person's ability and focus less on the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Genentech Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Staffing Programs

Thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We appreciate your opinions and insight about our interview process with our Market Analysis & Strategy group. Since you have covered a... More

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process started when I was contacted by a third party recruiter. There was a short phone screening with both the recruiter and the Genentech project lead, followed by a 5 hour on site semi-technical with several members of the group, both from IT and from other backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Basic scaling and pros and cons of different technology choices.   1 Answer

QC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I got contacted by my recruiter for a contractor position and she scheduled an interview within a week. The interviews are pretty standard with a lot of emphasis on the behavioral questions rather than the technical material.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you and your co-worker disagreed, how did you convince them to do what you were advocating for?   Answer Question

Senior Safety Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

You will be asked to give a presentation for about 45 mins. Then you will start the panel interview with the people there one by one. Each interview is about 20-30 mins.

Medical Affairs Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Genentech has the worst interview process I have witnessed in my career. I was left to my own devices for lunch, with a lunch box given to me in a windowless room. At the end of the interview, I was walked out of the door and told to wait for a taxi, which did not seem to be on the way. Unfamiliar with the area, I did not know what to do. The taxi finally arrived, which was a relief. It took about 2 months for the offer to arrive once they told me that they will be sending one. No verbal offer was made. For about 8 weeks I was wondering what the position and the salary were.

Interview Questions

• Tell me when you had to leverage your leadership skills (very vague)   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Met with multiple people on their team over the course of a day; discussions were friendly. Some STAR-format questions but most of the time was spent discussing my qualifications and experience.

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Phone screen by HR, then by Hiring Manager and concluded with an onsite Interview (included a seminar presentation open to more members than interview panel). Hiring manager came back with an offer within one month of phone screen and offer was fair and competitive

Interview Questions

• Describe an issue where solution was not straight forward   1 Answer
    • Describe a project which you led a cross functional team   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied on their website and received a call the week after for an onsite interview. Met with three managers as a panel interview in the IT department. They made me feel welcomed and told me to consider it more of a chat than an interview. The questions were easy and more behavioral than technical. Weeks later I got the job and is easily one of the best decisions i've made in my career in IT thus far. The culture is awesome and the Benefit Concerts are a huge plus to the internship. Also, I get to take the shuttle for free from where I live.

Software Developer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in SanFrancisco (Venezuela)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (SanFrancisco (Venezuela)) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process is long and at least 3-5 months, HR screening call, Manager round, technical round with case study technical questions applicable to Job discussion, Behavioral round with group/panel interview like what if your peer doesn't like your approach to the project, HR compensation discussion,

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager for 30 minutes, followed by a one hour meeting with hiring manager and two engineers at the same level as the position applied for.

Questions were all about background and experience, with no ''technical'' questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do we do Validation? Describe process Validation? What have you done before as far as Validation, Verification etc.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Full day interview with range of people from Director level and hiring manager 1:1s, to meeting with colleagues from neighboring departments to group interviews with all of my peers.

Interview Questions

• Share an example of a time when you challenged a conventional practice to create a novel solution to a problem.   Answer Question