Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2017

3.1

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for a position in the Market Analysis and Strategy Group. External candidates beware--it's an extremely long process, and you are often competing against internal candidates. I was ultimately told multiple internal candidates had applied, and I couldn't compete as they already knew the job.

It starts with a call from an external agency doing phone screens, then the next call is with another external person (former employee). The third call (presumably before the in-person) is with someone from the Genentech team you're interviewing for. My first two calls went very well.

For the third call (scheduled 5 weeks after my first call) , the interviewer was late, and immediately seemed disinterested. She cut off my response to the first question to say I was competing against internal candidates and there was essentially no chance they'd hire externally. I appreciated the interviewer's honestly and directness, but of course, I wish I hadn't invested so much time into a dead end. I understand the need to promote internally, however, it seems there is little proper communication between Genentech and their external hiring agencies. It also was a quite a long process to just let me know I was wasting my time from the start.

I'm not sure what can be done to improve this, as it's likely the company has to check off a box to comply with regulations that internal candidates compete with external ones. However, external candidates need to know what they're going into.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioural questions, e.g. how do you influence others, work in teams, manage others, etc. The 'technical' questions are very open-ended, e.g. tell me about what you're most proud of.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Interview went very smoothly and was very conversational. Only informal questions about my research were asked. Then the interviewer described the research project that I might be doing. Overall it was very easy.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2017.

Interview

Unprofessional interview process. Administrative assistant sets up the interviews. Interviews went really well, standard behavioral questions. Direct onsite interviews - which was weird and raised my suspicion - am I just being interviewed so HR or recruiter can tick off their "multiple candidates interviewed?" box. They never respond to let you know if you are even rejected - I think I deserved to be informed, since I took time off and spent 6 hrs for their interviews - that is not professional, even after multiple follow up emails.

Business Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

got invited to do an interview for this position when I was interviewing for a MBA summer internship. The hiring manager was very nice, so are rest of the interviewers. The questions are not easy and you have to know the basic six-sigma and PMP methods to analyze problems, and you are expected to be able to draw flow charts at the interview. the interview lasted for about 4 hours

Interview Questions

• draw a flow chart to show how you started looking for a job and eventually arrived at this interview   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

It was a phone interview, following another round of phone interview. Interviewer introduced herself and the team; asked me to introduce myself and some questions about my resume.

Interview Questions

• What packages did you use for your machine learning class?   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It's a long process. Depending on your level it can be 2 or 3 rounds of interview. Be ready to be grilled in the interview. They have some internal analytics that only used in Genentech, they will show it to you and will ask you to analyze.
    1) Phone screening
    2) First round of in person interview - meeting your Hiring Managers and other Managers in the Hierarchy
    3) 2nd round of in person interview - where you meet your business partners
    4) Panel presentations etc. (if applicable)

Interview Questions

• During my interview, the Hiring Manager just pulled out some old presentations where they showed the uncertainty and risk analysis) and they asked me to analyze those.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Was contacted by the hr staff for interview with the team.
    They asked me about my experience and research background. They asked about how I conducted my studies and no behavioral questions were added.

Technical Editor Writer - Contract Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed via a staffing agency, and was very smooth when I met the team. I applied a few weeks before, and got the telephone screen, same day the on site was scheduled with the team.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in March 2017.

Interview

About a week and a half after applying to the job I got an email saying they would like to set up a phone interview within the next couple days. Interviewed with the Principal Researcher that I would be working under. The interview was extremely relaxed and very casual.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't many questions other than the typical "what are your strengths and weaknesses" questions. They mostly just wanted to hear about my research and previous experience.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was 30 mins Phone screen. It took one week to get an interview from the online application. There consisted of very reasonable questions to find out a good candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want Genentech? Why should I hire you over other candidates?   Answer Question