Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

3.1

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager for 30 minutes, followed by a one hour meeting with hiring manager and two engineers at the same level as the position applied for.

Questions were all about background and experience, with no ''technical'' questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do we do Validation? Describe process Validation? What have you done before as far as Validation, Verification etc.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Full day interview with range of people from Director level and hiring manager 1:1s, to meeting with colleagues from neighboring departments to group interviews with all of my peers.

Interview Questions

• Share an example of a time when you challenged a conventional practice to create a novel solution to a problem.   Answer Question

Business Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

got invited to do an interview for this position when I was interviewing for a MBA summer internship. The hiring manager was very nice, so are rest of the interviewers. The questions are not easy and you have to know the basic six-sigma and PMP methods to analyze problems, and you are expected to be able to draw flow charts at the interview. the interview lasted for about 4 hours

Interview Questions

• draw a flow chart to show how you started looking for a job and eventually arrived at this interview   1 Answer

Contract Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

The interview process for a contractor position was based on written hypotheticals. The interview included multiple scenario questions as well as real world examples. The interview was a set procedure by GNE and it set the tone.

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Online recorded video interview mpow. Recorded interviewers would ask recorded questions. You would answer with recorded answers. Requires a computer or smart phone. Im not sure what they would do if you don't have one.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Process began with a phone interview with HR. Next round was a panel interview with a number of peers from the immediate work team. Next round was a panel interview with program managers from immediate team & collobarative teams. Last round of interview was with program Director.

Interview Questions

• What are the reasons you are motivated to join the company?   Answer Question

Assistant Medical Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Meetings with HR and key members of development group followed by a one-hour research presentation. The interview experience was very positive. Interviews were relaxed and not confrontational. I had the opportunity to get to know potential future colleagues as they were getting to know me. The presentation was formal and I was asked challenging (but appropriate) questions and asked to defend my assumptions and conclusions.

Interview Questions

• What value do you bring the organization?   Answer Question
    • What would you propose to do to improve our development efforts in a given therapeutic area?   Answer Question

Clinical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Great process. Quick and comprehensive. Make sure that you be yourself during the process. They look for fit for their culture as much as experience in a given specialty or geography. Talent in leadership is evident.

Interview Questions

• What will you bring to the team if you get this position?   Answer Question
    • Asked mostly thought-process and attributes questions.   Answer Question

Scientific Researcher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Hiring in my situation was particularly different, as several openings were created simultaneously in the department, and applications were made available to internal and external candidates on the Roche site, gene.com site, and through LinkedIn.
    Once enough candidates were chosen, they are scheduled for onsite in-person interviews with about 8-10 scientists (which will include some or all of the hiring managers). Phone interviews may be held for external applicants before hand. Afterwards, a 30 minute powerpoint presentation on your previous work (before or during Genentech) is presented with larger emphasis on your delivery, than content. Chosen candidates for employment, are notified within a month or so afterwards, followed by background checks.

Interview Questions

• How do you develop an analytical method for this molecule (random example drawn on whiteboard)?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for a position in the Market Analysis and Strategy Group. External candidates beware--it's an extremely long process, and you are often competing against internal candidates. I was ultimately told multiple internal candidates had applied, and I couldn't compete as they already knew the job.

It starts with a call from an external agency doing phone screens, then the next call is with another external person (former employee). The third call (presumably before the in-person) is with someone from the Genentech team you're interviewing for. My first two calls went very well.

For the third call (scheduled 5 weeks after my first call) , the interviewer was late, and immediately seemed disinterested. She cut off my response to the first question to say I was competing against internal candidates and there was essentially no chance they'd hire externally. I appreciated the interviewer's honestly and directness, but of course, I wish I hadn't invested so much time into a dead end. I understand the need to promote internally, however, it seems there is little proper communication between Genentech and their external hiring agencies. It also was a quite a long process to just let me know I was wasting my time from the start.

I'm not sure what can be done to improve this, as it's likely the company has to check off a box to comply with regulations that internal candidates compete with external ones. However, external candidates need to know what they're going into.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioural questions, e.g. how do you influence others, work in teams, manage others, etc. The 'technical' questions are very open-ended, e.g. tell me about what you're most proud of.   Answer Question