Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

3.1

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First had telephonic call with hiring manager and then invited me for onsite interview with SSFO team members and google hangout interview with Basel team members. Interview went fine and was expecting a positive response but didn't get any response after waiting for 3 weeks so had to follow up with hiring manager and explained to him how I will be ideal fit for the position . Hiring manager was nice enough to respond me back saying he was put on hold for now and will make his decision in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I got an email from HR saying that the team has decided to pursue other candidates due to depth of experience. It looks like team felt that I'm over qualified for this position so they rejected me but wondered why they invited me for interviews and have to drag on 3 months to make a decision. I hope Genentech improves their interview process and make sure they value candidate time as well.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in January 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview. Third party firm taking down every word I said. Couldn't tell if I had said enough or too much. It was very mechanic and the interviewer said she didn't know anything about the role.

Then, after 2-3 weeks, I received a rejection email.

Interactive Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview process was rather slow but the interviewers were very knowledgeable and nice to talk too. They asked great questions and the energy was great. However the entire interview process took very long with long gaps of interactions.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Process was pretty straight forward. With in one month of my online application, I had a phone interview with hiring manager. After one month he decided to invite me for onsite interview. It was a full day interview started with my presentation (45 minutes). They literally grilled me on all of my slides. I was very much prepared for that. I had almost like 12 rounds of interview (each 30 minutes). It was basically a sort of discussion.

It was a pretty good interview. However, at the end I was completely exhausted.

Ppp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied the position online and the 1st round was phone interview in one week after the deadline. Received the 2nd round invitation in the following week after the 1st round. Talked to 3 managers back to back in the 2nd round.

Scientific Researcher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Hiring in my situation was particularly different, as several openings were created simultaneously in the department, and applications were made available to internal and external candidates on the Roche site, gene.com site, and through LinkedIn.
    Once enough candidates were chosen, they are scheduled for onsite in-person interviews with about 8-10 scientists (which will include some or all of the hiring managers). Phone interviews may be held for external applicants before hand. Afterwards, a 30 minute powerpoint presentation on your previous work (before or during Genentech) is presented with larger emphasis on your delivery, than content. Chosen candidates for employment, are notified within a month or so afterwards, followed by background checks.

Interview Questions

• How do you develop an analytical method for this molecule (random example drawn on whiteboard)?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Sitting down with several people of the department. The asked questions in turn, mostly dealing with personality fit but some technical questions and some common sense checks for the field.

Principal Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Process went well. Although, 1st person was not ready and was reviewing my resume during the interview. I was asked very technical and behavioral questions. Although not required, I gave a 5 min presentation on background in PPT. It was much appreciated and people were impressed with my background. Interviewers knew people I've worked in the past. Hiring manager was nice at first to arrange me to come on board as contractor temporarily as process would take 2-3 months for written offer. However, hiring manager assigned me to train only while a hiring committed review my application. Manager was specific not to meet anyone. After only 2 weeks just training and without any interaction with team/peers, etc, he decided to cancel my contract and never called back. It was an awful experience I never thought I'd had at this place. Maybe it was the best for me since this position was replacing someone that left and relocating to SFO is very expensive for families.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict?
      What are the reasons you left previous organizations?
      What are your biggest accomplishments and failures?
      Answer Question

Media Prep and Lab Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of sitting down with four of the department supervisors (one from each of the main buildings). They asked a bunch of questions about my resume and work experience. Then they asked questions about how I work through problems and interact with other people. They then allow you to ask them questions about the company and their division as well.The supervisors sit down with you two at a time and mostly ask the same questions.

Interview Questions

• They ask questions about what has been a time where you have made a mistake what did you learn from the mistake and how did you solve the problem.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

It was an online 1 hour skype interview - I got mostly questions about my research. They were more interested in how I thought, and how I go about designing experiments, than my ability to regurgitate information. There were some questions that were clearly required by HR - such as "describe I time when you struggled" etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about how you designed the controls for your research?   Answer Question