Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

3.1

Market Planning Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech in September 2016.

Interview

As people said here, the process took more than 3 months.
    I don't think they really want to hire some external candidates. This position is continuously posted.
    A person from a third party recruiting company called me first. A person who had left their company called me 3 weeks later. Then, 2 months later, their HR person arranged me an on-site interview. There were 7 persons interviewed me one by one for the same questions. They said they didn't know which product I should be in charge of because they didn't have any vacant position at that moment.
    3 weeks later, they sent me an email and want schedule a call with me. The call is just to tell me I was rejected.
    They asked lots of questions about how to influence or collaborate with other teams, it seems like they don't have a good relationship with other teams.

Market Planning Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

As mentioned in previous reviews, be prepared for a very long, unpleasant process.

1) Generic phone interview with an outsourced hiring company. The person you speak with will have no idea what the actual job is about other than the publicly available job description. There is no discussion, jut someone who writes down your answers.
    2) Second phone interview with a former employee (someone not in the company). The conversation will be more conversational but again furious writing of notes for review by key decision makers. You better hope they write down your answers correctly
    3) THIRD phone interview with hiring manager. You finally get to speak with someone who works within the company
    4) Be prepared to come in TWICE for an onsite
    5) Call is scheduled to go over the onsite interview. Got pretty excited. Googled to see if anyone had done research on probability of rejection or offer by phone call. Seemed like a no but most agreed an offer would be likely. Rescheduled call. Special kind of torture. Finally had a phone call and was rejected. No concrete feedback.

In between each step, be prepared to wait. Be prepared to wait weeks..

You would think that a department so focused on strategic agility would put some thought into their hiring process. Its a pretty convoluted system that leaves the interviewee confused. The job is posted continuously, hoping to be filled by someone who has a lot of time for the interview process or most likely internal candidates.

Advice to Genentech: For God's sake, don't schedule a rejection call without alluding to the purpose of the call!

Knowledge Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Be prepared to talk about how your experience relates to the role. Be flexible when it comes to interviewing schedules as new teams need flexibility. The team did want to move my interview back to 3 days which would have made me the last interview, and I simply told them that I could not change my dates at the last minute. The recruiter if it is a contract position will meet you, and will prep you. Everything salary or benefits do not talk with Genentech. They are the client and cannot really answer those questions. For an all day interview, remember where the bathroom is, bring an iPad or book to read in between and arrive early. Make sure you have your government ID. Also bring a snack. They will provide water and lunch for you. I sat alone in the same interview room all day and was happy each time I met someone. Leave door slightly open after you have a lunch--do not get anything with onions!

Interview Questions

• Q. Tell me about yourself? - Hiring manager
      Q2. What is your greatest weakness - Hiring manager
      Q3. If you were told to do something and you disagreed what would you do? - Potential peer.   1 Answer

Project Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Found position through a recruiter. Got an interview the same day my resume was submitted. Scheduled an on-site interview for the following week. Interview consisted of three individuals at once. Received an offer by the end of the week.

Interview Questions

• What is your customer service experience?
      How would you provide the best customer service?
      What is your experience working in a highly regulated environment?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

End of the day. Interviewers lacked energy and interest. Very pro forma.
    Interviewers simply were going through the motions. One of the two yawned throughout the Q&A. The hiring Manager appeared intimidated by my age (I am of the Boomer generation).

Interview Questions

• How was your trip up to Boston?   1 Answer

Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with two hiring managers. I was asked a series of behavioral type questions as well as the typical "why do you want to work here" question. Interview lasted less than 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you disagreed with a coworker and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech (Vacaville, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I got a call from a staffing agency and scheduled an appointment for the next week. The interview process was a simple panel of two current technicians and one supervisor. The questions were pretty standard situational questions. The whole interview process took around 45 minutes and there were no secondary interviews. None of the questions were particularly difficult and the interview was not extremely formal.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in September 2016.

Interview

Series of phone interviews (~5 in total) ranging from potential peers and supervisors. Notification by phone that I was unsuccessful but that they had encouraged me to apply for another position.

QC Associate III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Got a phone interview first, and then on-site interview with one of the team members, and manager thought a phone screen. This is so bad experience. I hope the manger could interview with me face-to-face, this is kind of respect. but unfortunately, the manager seems don't like me. My interview only took about 10 min. Here I can say that if they don't want to hire me, they don't need to waste their time to interview with me, and I don't need to take a day off for this suck interview.

Bioprocess Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

There were 3 people that interviewed me at once. One hiring manager and two plant technicians. The interview is not bad, they asked questions about your resume and they had their own written questions about different scenarios you would face. Overall the interview went well, they were very easy to talk to and made me feel comfortable.