Genentech Market Planning Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Market Planning Manager Interview Questions

3.4

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Market Planning Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech in September 2016.

Interview

As people said here, the process took more than 3 months.
I don't think they really want to hire some external candidates. This position is continuously posted.
A person from a third party recruiting company called me first. A person who had left their company called me 3 weeks later. Then, 2 months later, their HR person arranged me an on-site interview. There were 7 persons interviewed me one by one for the same questions. They said they didn't know which product I should be in charge of because they didn't have any vacant position at that moment.
3 weeks later, they sent me an email and want schedule a call with me. The call is just to tell me I was rejected.
They asked lots of questions about how to influence or collaborate with other teams, it seems like they don't have a good relationship with other teams.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Market Planning Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

As mentioned in previous reviews, be prepared for a very long, unpleasant process.

1) Generic phone interview with an outsourced hiring company. The person you speak with will have no idea what the actual job is about other than the publicly available job description. There is no discussion, jut someone who writes down your answers.
    2) Second phone interview with a former employee (someone not in the company). The conversation will be more conversational but again furious writing of notes for review by key decision makers. You better hope they write down your answers correctly
    3) THIRD phone interview with hiring manager. You finally get to speak with someone who works within the company
    4) Be prepared to come in TWICE for an onsite
    5) Call is scheduled to go over the onsite interview. Got pretty excited. Googled to see if anyone had done research on probability of rejection or offer by phone call. Seemed like a no but most agreed an offer would be likely. Rescheduled call. Special kind of torture. Finally had a phone call and was rejected. No concrete feedback.

In between each step, be prepared to wait. Be prepared to wait weeks..

You would think that a department so focused on strategic agility would put some thought into their hiring process. Its a pretty convoluted system that leaves the interviewee confused. The job is posted continuously, hoping to be filled by someone who has a lot of time for the interview process or most likely internal candidates.

Advice to Genentech: For God's sake, don't schedule a rejection call without alluding to the purpose of the call!

Market Planning Manager Interview

Interview

Case on your own then need to debrief the case. You are given an hour to work on the case and can use excel/powerpoint.

Then some standard behavioral questions. Tell me about a team you led a team. Appears to be a huge focus on strategic agility. Also, culture is very collaborative so be prepared wtih team work stories

Interview Questions

• Standard questions. Tell me about a time you led a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Don't work here.. It's all about being a clone that fits into a machine. They are overstaffed, prob reduce the size by 50 people and still increase productivity.

Interview questions are all behavioral. Same question 20 times repeated. Interviewees are not professional. Everyone seems to get an office there. People seem to be in silos.

Pointless company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

There were 3 phone screening interviews over the course of 6 weeks.

Then I was called into a full day of interviews consisting of: a case study (1 hour to make a market forecast and some slides to present it; debriefing at the end of the day with the associate director of the division) and 10 individual interviews.

Interview Questions

• In the last couple of months, describe a situation when you wish you had been more assertive when confronted by a superior.   Answer Question
    • Describe how you resolved a difficult strategic problem in a creative way.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

After a phone screen, I had full day of interviews with a personality test for a fit with the department and a marketing case study with 1 hour to prepare and another hour to present recommendations. The staff and interviewers were friendly, helpful and intelligent in asking poignant questions to clarify doubts regarding my application and facilitate answers regarding my capabilities.

Interview Questions

• What is the business case that justifies your recommendation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

The first contact was by HR to conduct a phone screen (30 minutes). Basic skills and experience were probed. Then, there were phone interviews with 2 different hiring managers (30 minutes each), both of which also further probed on skills and experience relevant to the position. I had two rounds of in-person interviews. This first round included a case interview. The second round of in-person interviews was with director-level managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to exert influence from a position of low power.   Answer Question

Negotiation

In my experience, they were very inflexible on negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

I had a friend who worked in the group, so they were able to fast track my resume through to HR and get the process rolling more quickly than normal. In addition, I had a summer internship offer from this company 3 years earlier, so I was more of a "known" quantity to them. I received an email and call from HR to set-up the first phone screen, which focused on my overall background, interest in the company and pertinent expertise to the role. Because Genentech was in the midst of its merger talks with Roche, it took another month to schedule the next step, which was a phone screen with a hiring manager from the group I was interviewing with. At that point, I had a phone screen which focused mostly on technical skills pertinent to the role. After passing that screen, it took another month to schedule my full day of interviews in person at the company, where I met with about 6 people for 30-45 minute interviews. At the beginning of the day, I received a case study and had to put together an excel model and key slides to describe the situation and my recommendations in 90 minutes and then discuss with one of the interviewers over 30 minutes. My other interviews focused on my background experiences, interest in Genentech and ability to think strategically. Because I was not able to meet with the 2 heads of my group, they brought me back 2 weeks later to meet with them and then took another week before making me the offer. Overall, it took ~ 3 months from start to finish, but would probably take longer for others.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate any components of offer.

Market Planning Manager Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Genentech in April 2010.

Interview

My process did not include any phone screens except the initial call with the recruiter. The final interview day can be grueling but overall I think they together a good process. Be ready for a long day, and a forecasting exercise that you'll then present back to a senior manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate - salaries are "brutally fair" according to hiring manager. My advice is be willing to accept less because they are Genentech.