Genentech Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview Questions

Interviews at Genentech

3.2

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First phone interview (about an hour), communication about interest in working as a Postdoc for Genentech. Then in person interview: day-long interviewing process, 1:1 meetings with different directors/ PIs within gRED, one hour presentation of current research, lunch with other Postdocs, 1:1 discussion with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you might fit to Genentech's research environment?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Great group of people at Genentech. Had interview. Consisted of meeting with a number of different departmental scientists who were all very smart. Seemed to me they had a specific person in mind from the beginning.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Interview

(1) A Phone call interview from HR; (2) another phone call interview from future postdoc mentor, (3) a whole day on site interview, meet about 8-10 people, give presentation, (3) wait about 1 month for the offer, the background check was very slow.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

One day interview. ~50 min research presentation and 6 or 7 30 min meetings with scientists and other members of the department. The audience is generally polite but can ask challenging questions during the research presentation. The other meetings are more informal and give you a chance to learn about the science at Genentech.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to pursue postdoctoral research at a biotech company as opposed to academia?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied to on-line posting. Contacted via email 4 months later. Spoke on phone with hiring manager within a week of contact and offered on site interview during initial phone call.

On site interview was academic style. Met with other scientists, hiring manager and HR rep. and gave an academic job talk.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I had an interview with the hiring manager and one on-site interview. I was prepared for industry-related questions but it was like a lab meeting in academia, or PhD defense; people asked science question during the presentation and the meeting with people in the lab. It was pretty much the same as what they'd ask in academia. I think I met about 15 people during the day, all PIs from the same department.
    Everyone seemed to like me and they said I'd hear in a month....No words!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Applied online, and passed along my resume to a friend of a friend in the department that got it to the Principal Investigator. Received an email that night from him and we set up a phone call for 2 weeks later. The phone call was courteous, no more than 20 minutes, and mostly revolved around us each describing our research. At the end he offered an onsite interview, which I later scheduled with his secretary to be 5 weeks after the phone call. The onsite is a full day of meetings, starting from 8:15am and ending around 4pm. During it I met with 4 Senior Scientists, 2 Scientists, 2 Postdocs, and 1 person from HR that is in charge of all Postdocs. All of the researchers studied fields similar fields to my own except for one Senior Scientist who is on some Postdoc advisory committee which essentially works to make sure the Postdoc program is effective, efficient, and beneficial for all involved. From 10-11:15am I presented my Doctoral Research to a room of about 25 people, consisting mostly of Scientists and Postdocs in the department and related departments. At the end of the day, the Principal Investigator and I arranged a phone call for the following week. In this phone call he said they were still interviewing candidates and that he would get back to me within a month. After a month, I followed up and he mentioned that he was still gathering feedback and that one more candidate had been added last minute. He said to sit tight another month. A month after, two months out from my onsite, the Principal Investigator sent a kind email saying they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Most interview questions revolved around my previous research and the specifics of the research I was applying to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Process was pretty straight forward. With in one month of my online application, I had a phone interview with hiring manager. After one month he decided to invite me for onsite interview. It was a full day interview started with my presentation (45 minutes). They literally grilled me on all of my slides. I was very much prepared for that. I had almost like 12 rounds of interview (each 30 minutes). It was basically a sort of discussion.

It was a pretty good interview. However, at the end I was completely exhausted.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech in October 2012.

Interview

several phone interviews then onsite interview. All went really well.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech in August 2011.

Interview

Applied online, received email from hiring manager and scheduled for a phone interview. Was invited for onsite interview a couple weeks later. Onsite consisted of a presentation, about 10 1:1 interviews with people in the department, lunch and dinner. All very smart people, interesting conversations.

Interview Questions

• What quality do you have that will make us choose you among the finalists?   Answer Question