Genentech Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Genentech

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

This began as a phone call screen asking about general interest, fit for role, logistics if joining, and preliminary technical evaluation. Next was the informal interview day with various individuals within the department. Then there is the formal interview day that starts with a presentation, then a roundtable research project assessing your scientific thought process, and then further individual interviews concluding with a final meeting with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Why the desire to join Genentech coming from a smaller biotech company?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

I had a phone interview for scientist position which went very smoothly. She recommended me to the hiring manager which took about 2 weeks before I heard. Call with hiring manager went really smoothly, asked mainly about my experiences.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied the position on line and I got the email that I need an interview several weeks later. The interview was quite open and easy going. We talked what I did in my graduated study and some other opening questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with the hiring manager, who described the responsibilities of the position and asked general questions about my experience and skills. I went on-site for an interview a couple of weeks later. The interview was all day (8am-5pm) followed by a dinner and consisted of 30 minute 1:1s and a 1 hour seminar. The company is required to interview multiple candidates, so I did not hear back for approximately 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to work with a difficult person? How did you manage it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Genentech? Why now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process was thorough, including a presentation and many one-on-one interviews with members of the hiring group and other groups. The interviewers were experienced and included peers and higher-level colleagues.

Interview Questions

• There were some rather detailed technical questions about process unit operations.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in October 2014.

Interview

Submitted application online. About 2 weeks later, got an email from HR asking to set up a telephone interview. Spoke with HR person for about 20 min. He asked when I was available to start and said that they could provide relocation service. Emphasized that I was a top candidate and that I should expect to hear from the hiring manager soon, but then I didn't hear anything else from them.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech in November 2015.

Interview

Submit application online. Got one phone interview after 1month, talked to the screening team. Waited another one month and did a second phone interview with the manager of that position. No follow up after that.

Interview Questions

• The manager asked about research experiences and what kind of lab skills I have.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Interview was part of university recruitment. Position is originally asking for a postdoc. We were asked to give a presentation for 20 min and then there were Q&A session. I was suggested to do a postdoc before an industrial job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and 4 weeks later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was told at the end of the phone interview that I am invited for an on-site interview. I went to the on-site interview 1 month later. I met with 10 Scientists and gave a one hour seminar. Everyone was interested and asked a lot of questions during the seminar. The questions were fair and most of them were about my past work experience. They do tend to ask a lot about "why do you want to work there?". I got the feedback a month later and they gave me a reason that they are looking for certain skill sets, which I was not even being questioned or asked about during my interview. And the interesting thing was that the certain skill sets was clearly listed in my CV.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1. Quick phone interview to see if I was interested
    2. Short interview where I had 3 1 hour meetings with people in the position I was applying for
    3. Long interview with 1 hr research presentation then 8 half hour meetings with members of Department and potential collaborators
    4. Request for references

Interview Questions

• No hardballs, just pressed a lot on why I wanted to work there   Answer Question