Genentech Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

3.3

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

I had a phone interview for scientist position which went very smoothly. She recommended me to the hiring manager which took about 2 weeks before I heard. Call with hiring manager went really smoothly, asked mainly about my experiences.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Genentech

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech in November 2015.

Interview

Submit application online. Got one phone interview after 1month, talked to the screening team. Waited another one month and did a second phone interview with the manager of that position. No follow up after that.

Interview Questions

• The manager asked about research experiences and what kind of lab skills I have.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Interview was part of university recruitment. Position is originally asking for a postdoc. We were asked to give a presentation for 20 min and then there were Q&A session. I was suggested to do a postdoc before an industrial job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process was thorough, including a presentation and many one-on-one interviews with members of the hiring group and other groups. The interviewers were experienced and included peers and higher-level colleagues.

Interview Questions

• There were some rather detailed technical questions about process unit operations.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in October 2014.

Interview

Submitted application online. About 2 weeks later, got an email from HR asking to set up a telephone interview. Spoke with HR person for about 20 min. He asked when I was available to start and said that they could provide relocation service. Emphasized that I was a top candidate and that I should expect to hear from the hiring manager soon, but then I didn't hear anything else from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and 4 weeks later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was told at the end of the phone interview that I am invited for an on-site interview. I went to the on-site interview 1 month later. I met with 10 Scientists and gave a one hour seminar. Everyone was interested and asked a lot of questions during the seminar. The questions were fair and most of them were about my past work experience. They do tend to ask a lot about "why do you want to work there?". I got the feedback a month later and they gave me a reason that they are looking for certain skill sets, which I was not even being questioned or asked about during my interview. And the interesting thing was that the certain skill sets was clearly listed in my CV.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1. Quick phone interview to see if I was interested
    2. Short interview where I had 3 1 hour meetings with people in the position I was applying for
    3. Long interview with 1 hr research presentation then 8 half hour meetings with members of Department and potential collaborators
    4. Request for references

Interview Questions

• No hardballs, just pressed a lot on why I wanted to work there   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very detailed and long interview process

Interview Questions

• Interview seminar is an essential component and expect lots of questions from an open audience   Answer Question

Negotiation

Dont open your cards too quickly, HR tends to push people down, HR will start the salary discussion at a very low level

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech in July 2013.

Interview

Long day, back to back interview. it is hard to know how the science is done from first impression though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

phone interview-on site interview-reference check-background check