Genentech Interview Questions in South San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 24, 2017

3.2

262 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen with the recruiter, then a second one with the hiring manager. Scheduled an onsite interview where I met with 5-6 additional employees (2-3 at a time). Fairly standard behavioral and personality questions, and was asked for references a few days later. Received a rejection phone call after 1 week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your supervisor/manager and what the outcome was, tell me how you would proceed if you had to troubleshoot an assay that was not working, strengths and weaknesses   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview involved me sitting down with the department's admin. team. It essentially was a panel interview but felt less formal in terms of dress/demeanor. I met with the senior management associate in the department who was very friendly, and she introduced me to the rest of the team. There were plenty of opportunities for me to ask questions, and the team members were very responsive and open.

Interview Questions

• Often times here, we have to deal with situations in which we have to say no to people. Please describe a time in which you've had to do this.   1 Answer
    • Please describe a time in which you've had to do extensive calendaring.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to ask about salary. They were kind and actually offered more than I had asked for!

Biosample Lab Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel for about an hour. They had a list of questions that they each took a turn asking. I think they were trying to see if my personality would mesh well with their group.

Interview Questions

• They asked the standard questions about how would you deal with a difficult person, and what role does customer service play in the workplace.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied through Genentech website, 2 or 3 weeks later, I got an email from HR Manager and schedule an phone screen interview on 3 days later. After phone screen on my background, my experience, I waited for 2 more days and got the face-to-face on site interview in SSF. I went to have the interview 3 days after invitation email, at the end of interview. On-site interview was more about knowing the project and about the team. the next day, i got her call that I got the job.

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The majority of the interview consisted of behavioral questions and a thorough review of my academic background and industry experience. They were very upfront with the expectations of the role and what the main focus of the department was. There were several rounds of meetings beginning with interviewing with the individuals I would be working with directly from day to day, followed by one on one meetings with several managers. They were happy to answer any questions and/or concerns I had.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stressful situations and how would you handle a situation where you cannot complete all the tasks that were assigned to you for a specific day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

There are 3 separate groups that you meet with and they ask a wide range of questions. There were 2 groups of 2 interviewers and a 1:1 as the last part of the interview,

Interview Questions

• How do you think your past experiences qualify you for this position?   1 Answer

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied through recruiter
    One weeks later, received phone call and scheduled a phone interview
    The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes, and he mostly asked my past work experience listed on my resume
    After 1 month, received a call to scheduled a onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Q: Can you tell me about yourself regarding your work experience?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Long day of 8 or 9 interviews after phone screen. Workspace was open floor seating, which reminded me of a public library. No assigned seating. Was promised to be informed if I got the job or not within 2-3 weeks. It's been months and never heard anything - lack of integrity on their part. Campus is huge with 11,000 people working there. Easy to get lost in the crowd as the crowd is huge. Parking appeared to be difficult and there was alot of traffic getting into the campus at normal start work hour. Interviewers appeared weary about how much of your life Genentech demands.

***Update. I emailed my HR contact at Genetech requesting an update. She replied back saying she no longer works in that group and to contact HR. I have no other contact besides the recruiter. We'll see if she replies but I doubt it.

Interview Questions

• The ask everyone: Why Genentech?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received an email requesting an initial interview about a month later. Had a 15 minute phone interview with the head of the department. Was contacted via email a few days later for a second and third phone interview. Second and third interviews happened with project managers 1-2 days later, and were 15-30 minutes each over the phone. Received an offer via email about a week later. Was told I had to pass a background check before receiving the full details of the offer.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied to on-line posting. Contacted via email 4 months later. Spoke on phone with hiring manager within a week of contact and offered on site interview during initial phone call.

On site interview was academic style. Met with other scientists, hiring manager and HR rep. and gave an academic job talk.