General Atomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Atomics Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.9

Software Developer I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

I applied online. First I received an email requesting a phone interview. I was contacted back very soon to schedule an on-site interview.

For the on-site: Spoke with the HR, then had a 1:1 meeting with an engineer + coding problem. Later met with others to talk about resume.

Interview Questions

• Asked about some C language basics.
      Also asked a bit about operating systems.
      On-site technical question was in C.
      Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

I first had a phone interview. From the phone interview they wanted to know personally based questions. Know your resume really well. The second interview was a little bit more relaxed but know your resume for this too. I met with multiple managers and they asked about past projects, etc.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you were a good team player   Answer Question
    • What was the biggest mistake you ever made and how did you deal with this mistake?   Answer Question

Technical Writer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews- a phone interview that was 10 minutes long, and an in person interview that was 2.5 hours long. The in person interview consisted of a 30 minute interview with the HR representative. The rest was with four hiring managers (one was a veteran, ex-Navy aviator). Bring samples of your writing, but focus on your technical background. Be prepared to demonstrate your knowledge- go in with a plan. Know the terminology (they love the technobabble). If you're a veteran, tell them if you were an instructor and if you are a certified Master Training Specialist. Also, spend time on their website and get to know their products-at both the phone and in person interviews, they asked about what I knew about General Atomics. Also, the managers have no say in what you get paid- that comes from HR and is non-negotiable, but they pay you fairly.

Interview Questions

• If you are looking to improve your knowledge base on a technical system you are responsible for writing on, where would you go?   1 Answer

Intern III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics in January 2017.

Interview

For my phone interview i had a panel of 2 interviewers. One was the head hiring manager and the other was one of the engineers. The phone interview was mainly just behavioral questions. They asked about things on my resume; So, you should definitely know your resume well.

Interview Questions

• what are your strengths? what are your weaknesses? how ar eyou improving your weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • tell me about your projects?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

Interview

I had a phone interview with General atomics, which was very pleasant. The interview basically revolved around questions from things that I put on my resume. Things like skill level in a particular programming language, and how I would go about solving a problem with a framework that I had experience in.

R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Interview

Had an interview with Diazyme, the biotech company associated with GA. Had a phone screen and then in person interview. Met with HR and that went fairly well - mostly behavioral questions and getting to know the company. Met with the CEO who was not very friendly and difficult to speak with; he asked many technical questions that were confusing to interpret.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company and General Atomics and what we do?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Rancho Bernardo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Two part, HR and then prospective managers. The HR had some questions then the prospective mangers questioned me for an hour. They were thorough and indepth. You're not going to BS them, you have got to know your trade.

Interview Questions

• Tell us your familiarity with Bloom's Taxonomy and Kirkpatrick as they relate to ISD.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

One phone interview then one onsite that lasted about 4-5 hours including a 1 hour technical assessment. Great planning/organization on HR's part and all expenses are paid for the interview process.

The technical assessment consisted of some very easy multiple choice questions and a problem that requires coding in Linux. The problem was incredibly confusing at first but is actually quite easy if you take the time to understand what it is asking.

Study common coding questions and structs in C.

Side note: even if you don't get chosen for a particular role, they can refer you to another department or group that may choose to interview you as well, and it will be a much faster process since your assessment is already on file.

Interview Questions

• Easy stuff like how many bits in a byte, what's missing from this code, etc.

For the actual coding part, study structs if being tested in C!! Memory management important as well.
      Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

One 10 minute conversation with HR. Panel interview with hiring manager and two other team members. Very specific questions, not really any behavioral ones. Had to get 5 references to fill out survey about skills and qualities.

Interview Questions

• Just asked about projects on my resume. What I worked on, why I chose this part over that one, how I calculated this, etc.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics in November 2016.

Interview

Informal discussion with job related questions intermixed into the conversation. Meet with all the key players. Two sets of interviews; one with direct boss and co-worker; 2nd, with key stakeholders: director, senior director, vice-president.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. I asked for a reasonable package and they accommodated.