General Atomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Atomics Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2018

2.9

Associate Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics in August 2017.

Interview

It was the standard two step process, phone then in-person interview. Phone interview was nothing out of the ordinary, just gauging qualifications. Flew out to the in-person interview a couple weeks later. First talked to HR about benefits, then talked to a panel that consisted of people I would work with, and then spoke with the hiring manager at the end. It was a mix of technical and ability questions, both to determine knowledge level and figure out how you solve problems. I found the entire process very professional and I got along great with the team. Unfortunately, they came back with an offer that was WAAAAY below my minimum amount for the SD area and would not budge. I hate for it to be about money as everything else was fantastic, but there was no way I could live with my family on that offer.

Interview Questions

• Hiring manager asked me to write out a flow chart for a previous platform I had worked with. Nothing too difficult and he didn't care about the technical information so much as my ability to convey information and think on my feet.   Answer Question

Proposal Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I went through two (brief) phone screens with the initial HR recruiter and then hiring manager. After this, I received an email stating that they were interested in speaking further with me in person. I was then flown out to California, where I was put up for a night right around the corner from their office. They were willing to work with me through this process to find the best day and time to fit my schedule and offered a few different options. During the actual interview, I met with three different people, including the HR representative, the hiring manager, and a manager from a different department that would be working closely with me. Each time slot was carefully managed and prepared for, and was a good amount of time with each person- not too long but not too short. They were all willing to answer any questions I had or speak to me again if anything else came up. It was all a positive experience as far as interviews go!

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you want to work for our company.   2 Answers

Sep 6, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about your interview experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies

Inventory Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Two separate interviews. One with HR which asked very basic HR type questions. The second was with the section in which I was trying to work. During the HR portion she highlighted the types of benefits and typical schedule that would be expected. General Atomics is a very professional company and they made the interview process very simple.

Interview Questions

• Can you rate your Excel skills on a scale of 1-10?   1 Answer

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

They first call to set up a phone interview, which in my case was fairly quickly. After the phone interview was set up I was expecting a call from the hiring manager, but instead I received a call from someone else in the same department who was going to do my interview instead. This person didn't really seem like he wanted to be doing the interview so it actually went pretty fast. Once it was over, all he mentioned is that I would be informed of my results. Phone interview consisted of only technical questions about Operating Systems, some OOP, and other general computer science stuff.

Interview Questions

General Atomics Response

Oct 18, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied from indeed listing.

I was originally called by someone at GA to start the interview process, but then a couple hours later I got a call from a recruiter at Volt to set me up for the interview process.
    I talked to the recruiter for maybe half an hour to review some concepts, then had a technical phone screening the next week.

The phone screening was basically just some easy C questions ("What is a pointer?") and a couple more general questions ("What do you know about General Atomics", "Why do you want to work here?", etc.).

After that, I had an on-site interview within about a week. At the on-site interview I spoke with a panel of three to talk about my projects for approximately an hour. Then, I had 1 hour to complete a coding "assessment," which was just a simple packet parser in C. It was great that I got to do this on an actual laptop, rather than the whiteboard.

Overall, I really liked talking to the team over at General Atomics. I appreciated the fact that they were well prepared for the interview and it was a real discussion.

However, my experience with the recruiter just ruined it for me. He twisted my words to try to make me accept the offer within an hour of his call. He was pushy and did not give me time to even think about the choice.

I ended up going with another offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the integral of velocity?   1 Answer
    • What is the value of some hex number after shifting to the right by 4?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

The first step was a phone interview asking me simple technical questions. If you pass that, then they invite you for an onsite interview. The whole process was fairly quick.

Strategic Supplier Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA).

Interview

Applied online, call back within a week by HR rep for setting up phone interview the following day with hiring manager and 2 others via 30 minute conference call. HR scheduled onsite interview about 2 weeks after phone. Requires a background check and at least 3 recommendations via web tool-must be previous coworkers, managers, or professors.
    Onsite had hiring manager, HR rep, and 5 other employees from the Strategic Sourcing group. 1 hour interview, about 20 questions that were prepared and round table questions. Questions were both technical and behavioral- relating to supplier management, coworker interactions, explain how you would handle X, what type of processes are involved in building X, etc.
    After interview- HR called one time and said they needed a week, called back and said they were interested and would need a few weeks to prepare the offer. Overall process took 3 months to get an offer from submitting for role and obtaining offer letter. Great on boarding so far!

Interview Questions

• Describe what happens during a bed of nails test in the circuit board production process?   Answer Question

Sensor Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics in July 2017.

Interview

The initial interview was a short phone interview. She asked mostly standard HR questions and qualifications questions and discussed the position. The process was very easy and took less than 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle conflict with another employee?   1 Answer

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelanto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics (Adelanto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process took months. Started off with a simple 15 minute phone interview in June with an HR representative. Before the phone interview, I was emailed a link to which I had to send to 5 references and make sure they completed the survey reference within 24 hours. After a couple weeks I was finally scheduled to interview with 2 engineering managers at the Adelanto site. The managers were friendly but it was clear they were looking at my resume for the first time. They asked for a couple minutes while they read my resume and circled a few things. The interview was mainly personality questions, few technical questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. After the in-person interview I had to keep emailing HR every week to try to figure out the status of application. I was eventually told my application was a finalist but was put on hold until around September. I contacted HR in September and was told the position was closed for an unknown reason.

Interview Questions

General Atomics Response

Sep 18, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate the feedback and regret that you had this experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies. We encourage you to reach out in... More

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

Took about 6 weeks total. First a phone interview then an on-site interview. The phone interview was basically C questions and the on-site interview was more behavioral questions. Then lastly, you write a program.

Interview Questions

• The programming test, in the end, did stump me for a while because I haven't worked with C in a while.   Answer Question