General Atomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

2.9

R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Interview

Had an interview with Diazyme, the biotech company associated with GA. Had a phone screen and then in person interview. Met with HR and that went fairly well - mostly behavioral questions and getting to know the company. Met with the CEO who was not very friendly and difficult to speak with; he asked many technical questions that were confusing to interpret.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company and General Atomics and what we do?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Bernardo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Rancho Bernardo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Two part, HR and then prospective managers. The HR had some questions then the prospective mangers questioned me for an hour. They were thorough and indepth. You're not going to BS them, you have got to know your trade.

Interview Questions

• Tell us your familiarity with Bloom's Taxonomy and Kirkpatrick as they relate to ISD.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

One phone interview then one onsite that lasted about 4-5 hours including a 1 hour technical assessment. Great planning/organization on HR's part and all expenses are paid for the interview process.

The technical assessment consisted of some very easy multiple choice questions and a problem that requires coding in Linux. The problem was incredibly confusing at first but is actually quite easy if you take the time to understand what it is asking.

Study common coding questions and structs in C.

Side note: even if you don't get chosen for a particular role, they can refer you to another department or group that may choose to interview you as well, and it will be a much faster process since your assessment is already on file.

Interview Questions

• Easy stuff like how many bits in a byte, what's missing from this code, etc.

For the actual coding part, study structs if being tested in C!! Memory management important as well.
      Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

One 10 minute conversation with HR. Panel interview with hiring manager and two other team members. Very specific questions, not really any behavioral ones. Had to get 5 references to fill out survey about skills and qualities.

Interview Questions

• Just asked about projects on my resume. What I worked on, why I chose this part over that one, how I calculated this, etc.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics in November 2016.

Interview

Informal discussion with job related questions intermixed into the conversation. Meet with all the key players. Two sets of interviews; one with direct boss and co-worker; 2nd, with key stakeholders: director, senior director, vice-president.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. I asked for a reasonable package and they accommodated.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through a staffing agency and had a phone screen a week after. Two weeks after that I had an in person interview at their HQ in Poway. I had a panel interview with 4 members of the team I would be working with. They were pretty nice and the technical questions weren't too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Questions about C, memory/pointers, some object oriented design questions   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Atomics.

Interview

There was a very brief phone interview which just clarified my resume. Then an on site interview followed. The onsite portion was not well communicated what was going to happen, leaving me blindsided. I met with multiple different people who, apparently, each were interviewing me for a separate job of their own. I was not prepared with a background of their research to be able to ask questions or prepare anything in general.

Interview Questions

• How much do you know about my research or our work here?   1 Answer

General Atomics Response

Nov 10, 2016 – System Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate the interview feedback and regret that you had this experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies.

Contract Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Atomics (Poway, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

There was an initial screening phone call from HR. They asked general questions about my resume and mentioned I may get a phone call from a hiring manager if they were interested in speaking with me. I then received a call from HR to schedule a panel interview. Prior to the panel interview, I had to provide names and contacts for 5 references. Each of them had to fill out an extensive questionnaire on my personality, experience and strengths/weaknesses. At the panel interview, all of the panel members were extremely nice. The questions were focused on work experience and how it would tie in to a potential role they were looking to staff. I was very impressed with the organization.

Interview Questions

General Atomics Response

Jan 27, 2017 – Systems Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about your interview experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with general questions on .NET knowledge and past job experience.

On-site interview that consisted of a meeting with a manager who gave a general overview of the company, what they do, and what they're working toward.
    After the meeting with the manager I had a meeting with about 5 developers who watched me solve coding problems. This was for an entry-level position, so they were fairly easy.

I would have seriously considered an offer from this company, they definitely had a good culture and they I felt like I would fit in pretty well there. I didn't have time to wait to see if they were going to make an offer because they took too long to decide and I got an offer from a different company that I liked a little more and that had a shorter commute.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that returns the nth Fibonacci number.   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at General Atomics (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Easy. 30 mins or less, the process was pretty painless and the guide you through the entire thing. Fly you out and have you do a in person interview after you do the phone interview with one of the hiring managers there in San Diego.