General Dynamics Electric Boat Mechanical Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Electric Boat Mechanical Engineer I Interview Questions

2.1

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in July 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for 4 spots in the ship signatures department (acoustics). It's a long day but it was managed pretty well so even by the end I wasn't excessively tired. All of the interviewers I met were pretty down to earth and didn't ask any impossible questions. Although it said it was an 8 am start it didn't really start until 8:50 but being there early is always a plus. After a tour of the Groton side you go back to the employment office and get put on a shuttle to go to the New London side. This is where almost all of the engineering work is done now and also where all of my interviews were held. You get an escort to the room and all of the interviews came to me so there is no hope of getting lost. The last interview took place while having a paid for lunch in the cafeteria. The food was pretty good. Dress code at EB is pretty lax and keep in mind there is a decent amount of walking outside but I wouldn't want to interview in anything less than formal attire. All in all I would say it was a relaxing day (comparatively) and that as long as you bring your things with you that there is nothing to worry about. Keep in mind that you may not know if you have the position for several weeks after the interview (3-4 in my case so they say).

Interview Questions

• Mainly just background questions from things they see on your resume or transcript (make sure to bring it if you are a recent grad). Only one department asked me any technical questions and for the most part its a pretty relaxing atmosphere.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Dynamics Electric Boat

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview

Stayed overnight nice hotel Mystic, CT. Arrived 7:30, checked-in at employment office, received itinerary . Waited with other interviewees, then shipyard tour. Very interesting experience. Shuttle to New London. Greeted at door by interviewer. I had interviews with 2 dept's. First one: 1 hr long. 40 mins interviewer explaining the work, 20 mins question - quite conversational. 2nd dept: 40 minutes long - mix of explanation of work and question. There were 2 interviewers at the 2nd department, also it was a more intense than the first one, with pointed questions about my abilities & credentials. No technical questions at either interview. Then lunch at cafeteria with a new employee with 2nd department. Great opportunity to find out more about the job and the company in an informal environment. Shuttle back to Groton & check-out (1:45). All people that I met throughout the day were professional and very nice. I received an offer for the 2nd dept only 1 week & 1 day later.

Interview Questions

• We are interviewing many people for this position, why should we hire you?

Tell me how you communicate effectively.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (New London, CT) in March 2016.

Interview

I talked to people at my university's career fair and they immediately asked me to come in for a quick 10 min on campus interview where we just had a brief talk about the company and the recruiting process and offered me an interview at their offices in Connecticut. We had a tour of the ship yard and met up with people in the departments that was interested in me. It was a very laid back and not technical interview. The people are very nice and easy-going. I got an offer about a week after.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, tell me about a time when you exemplified leadership, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT).

Interview

I had applied for this position in February and got a response in November. I live a decent distance from GD so I had to travel the day before and stay at a hotel (all covered by GD). The interview process took about half the day. I got to the employment office a half hour before the start time and was sent to get a visitors pass. I was relieved to know that I was able to leave my overnight bags at the office for the entire process. I waited a while then was shown the Groton facilities. I was interviewing in New London so I had to take a shuttle. The interview was with a supervisor and was pretty informal. There were a lot of joking around as well as serious conversation. I then went to lunch with one of the employees where I was able to ask some questions that wouldn't be appropriate for the interview. After reporting back to the employment office, I was on my way back home.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

Sign in process took well over an hour. Full day with 3 interviews for 3 different departments, 1 hour long each. Was not told which departments I would be interviewing with until I arrived as I received the interview offer through my university. Included a tour of the facilities and lunch with an employee.

Interview Questions

• Each interview was a different style. One asked basic behavioral questions, the other two seemed more concerned with previous project/work experience. The last interview even asked a series of basic technical questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for the job on Indeed, got a call a few weeks later, they paid for my travel expenses to visit, very easy behavioral interview, got offer a few weeks afterwards, declined because I had a better offer elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with 3D printing.   1 Answer
    • You're an aerospace engineer; why are you applying for a mechanical engineering position?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about (such and such) skill(s) that you mentioned on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in November 2014.

Interview

Gave resume at career fair, then applied online, got an email requesting an interview, emailed to setup interview, showed up at 7:00 AM on the day of, waited for a security badge, did a shipyard tour, then had an interview and lunch in New London, followed by filling out a questionnaire with HR before departure.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview

I applied through Electric Boat's website. About 3-4 weeks later I received a call from them asking for an interview. Called their travel office and they payed for me to travel and stay at a hotel. For the day of the interview, arrived at offices at 7:30 am, had to walk and get a badge and go through some basic security questions. Then got to go on a tour of the facilities, see some of their buildings, machine shop, etc.

Most engineers had moved to EB's new building across the river. I was interviewing for a job that wasn't. Was taken to a pretty old and dirty building. The interview was relaxed and fairly informal but a little annoying... my interviewer was eating lunch as we talked. I was also in a suit and tie and was very overdressed compared to everyone there.

Talked about my school work and was only asked behavioral questions. Afterwards I was supposed to go to lunch with someone... only they didn't really plan it out, so my interviewer went and grabbed somebody who clearly didn't want to go, but I got a free lunch and chatted with him anyways. Was walked back to their employment office, took my stuff, and left. Has been 3 weeks and have not heard back.

Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in October 2012.

Interview

So, starts off in the office, you have to walk a little bit to get a visitors badge and or fingerprinted. Then you go back and sit in the waiting area with other candidates. Lady comes in and takes all to another room for transcript, passport, just documents. Gives you a folder containing benefits, very useful information, and a schedule is contained in there too. Tour is next, pretty low key and hard to hear the guide, so wait to get outside the manufacturing buildings to really ask questions. After the tour, a bus/shuttle will move you from the Groton facilities to the New London one, where engineers actually now work it appears. You follow the schedule given, usually past lunchtime, I had two interviews. First with my supervisor, very kind person, very relaxed interview. Went over the scope of the company and what they do and the group does before asking any questions. Basic behavioral and situation questions, no technical. Walked through the resume, so know what's on yours and be sure to describe and talk. Also the usual tell me about yourself stuff, no brain teasers or any funny sorts. The second interview was with a third year engineer over lunch, also very relaxed. Make sure to explain if they ask why you choose EB. The staff is very chill and nice, its a casual clothing workplace. After the interviews, a closing is done at Groton. You fill out a survey where 1 question asks your desired salary. Also, don't be afraid to put down suggestions or comments.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize and manage time if you have two projects that have a similar if not the same deadline?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, the offer was made over the phone so I would say negotiation was not really possible.

Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in July 2012.

Interview

I applied online and got a response withing a month. There was no phone interview. During my in person interview my interviewer did most of the talking. Gave a presentation on what his department is involved in and the basics of how they do it. I was asked a few softball questions like "what attracts you to the company" and other non-technical questions.

Interview Questions

• None really. Like I said it was totally non-technical. A little research beforehand on basic interview questions was the only preparation I needed, and even that wasn't really necessary.   Answer Question