General Dynamics Mission Systems Entry Level Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2020

To filter interviews, or .
Found 14 of over 230 interviews

Employee Referral15%
2.4
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 months. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ) in Mar 2020

Interview

I was referred to GDMS by a friend who graduated a semester before me. I met with his manager at a university event and we just talked about life, FPGA development, etc. The manager was extremely nice and asked about specific things on my resume and gave me a chance to tell my story instead of reading specific questions. I was invited to an interview day about 2 months down the road, but still wasn't sure about where I would be moving (because of other family stuff), so I didn't act on anything. A month went by and I knew where I would be moving after graduation. I received an email from the manager asking about my plans and we talked on the phone for about 30 minutes the next day. He said he was really impressed with my background and that even though I was invited to the interview event, I should really just take it as an opportunity to meet the teams and decide which one I would prefer to work on because they were going to make me an offer. The interview day got cancelled because of COVID-19 and I instead had a 1-hour unstructured phone interview with the manager and a team that they thought I would be a good fit on. I say unstructured, because it was really just a conversation - I asked questions pretty much the whole time. The same evening, the manager wanted to know how I was feeling about the role, so we talked briefly on the phone and I told him that I would like to join the team. He said they'll get started on the offer, and the next week I was asked to complete the online application before receiving the offer. I've never interviewed with a company that was so laid-back in the interview process. It really showed that they believe in me and they wanted to make sure that it's a good long-term fit for both of us rather than just caring about what I can do.

Interview Questions
  • Do you have any questions for me?
    1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Bloomington, MN) in Feb 2020

Interview

Decent, some of the questions seemed fairly pedestrian, and they weren't clear about whether or not I would get a second-round interview, but overall it wasn't a difficult process like some of the horror stories I read on Glassdoor

Interview Questions
  • What is your favorite language and how many lines of it have you written?
  • What is the biggest problem you have faced in your life and how did you deal with it?
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Pittsburgh, PA) in Apr 2018

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about a week after for a phone screening. The phone screening consisted of several high-level technical questions. After, I was invited for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of a review of my resume, a technical portion, a product demo, and a behavioral portion. Be prepared to front all the costs for lodging and transportation and prepare to not be reimbursed. Possibly the worst interview experience I have had so far.

Interview Questions
  • Be prepared to describe specific architectural components of your previous projects in detail.
4 people found this interview helpful

General Dynamics Mission Systems

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems

Interview

I was first contacted by an HR recruiter via e-mail to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was with a technical manager, lasted about ~45 minutes. Mostly talked about specific points on my resume, some behavior questions, and a few personal questions. Then HR recruiter notified me about two days later that they wanted to move forward and set up an onsite interview. The onsite was scheduled for about a week later. I spent about 3 hours at the onsite interview. It started off with about a ~45 minute tour of the facility as well as some information about GDMS as a whole, and what they do at that facility. After that, I was lead into a conference room with the head technical manager, and 3 other team managers. They started off with talking about what specifically the position entailed, as well as what each of the teams are working on. That lead into the technical portion of the interview which lasted the rest of my time there. They asked me a lot of questions about my resume, my skills, behavioral type questions, specific CS related/programming related questions, and a brain teaser. There were no coding questions, all of them were high level. The technical/programming question were not too overly difficult, however, you either knew the answer or didn't. Some of the topics related to memory, the stack, design patterns, pointers, ect(C/C++/Java). Overall it was a very pleasant experience, the HR recruiter reached about to me about 4 days after my onsite with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a team project when you had to work with someone difficult
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ) in Nov 2016

Interview

Basic technical questions, 2 very professional staff members interviewed me, it went very well. Comfortable setting, relaxed while being professional. Not sure what else to say, the interview was easy for me and I have only had 2 interviews in my life! Most of the technical questions were high level, no writing code.

Interview Questions
  • How do you protect variables from accidental assignment?

Application

Interview

I applied online and was contacted not long after to setup a preliminary interview - I was told there would be no technical questions yet. The preliminary went well, typical questions but the proof of US citizenship with a clean record was clearly of importance, from the questions asked about it. The interview went quickly and so I was asked a couple technical questions that I stumbled through out of surprise. I wasn't close enough to drive for an in-person interview so my next (and last) interview was a Skype video call with 3 other people working there. They asked lots of technical questions (almost nothing but) for maybe an hour or so. Nearly all questions they asked were listed in other reviews, but a couple were about self-reflection ("Rate your skill level in Java from 1-10. [example: 7] Why 7? What makes you better than a 6? What does it take to become an 8? Why aren't you an 8?"). About a week later I got an offer.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ) in Jun 2016

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to do an interview with some project managers. The interview was over the phone and it was about 45 minutes. They mainly asked about my experience and what tools I've used. They also gave me a scenario of a software problem and asked me how I would solve it. Literally 10 minutes after the phone interview, I was then invited to interview on site. Once there, I was interviewed by the same people I talked to on the phone. This interview only took about 20 minutes. They gave me one technical problem and gave me a chance to ask questions. It seemed like they had already decide to send me an offer before the on-site interview since it didn't seem like they had any questions to ask me.

Interview Questions
  • If you had to create a system composed of two components, where one component is the primary component for running an application and the other is the backup component that only activates when the primary system malfunctions, how would you setup this system?

Anonymous Employee in Dedham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Dedham, MA) in Jan 2016

Interview

The process started with one short phone interview, which was by far the more difficult interview. Two weeks after the phone interview I was contacted for an onsite interview. Preparing for the onsite interview was difficult as my recruiter was bad about responding to emails and sending me my paperwork and travel arrangements. The onsite interview itself was pleasant, and consisted of a standard interview (which was more so an explanation of what I could expect as an employee) as well as a technical interview (where I mostly explained previous intern work).

Interview Questions
  • Explain the development process of a previous project.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ) in Nov 2015

Interview

Applied while I was still college(ASU) around the same time as a campus job fair. Got a email a few weeks later about a college-interview day at the Scottsdale campus(GDC4). Interview took the whole day and consisted of presentations by managers, two separate 45-min interviews with project managers/team members, plus a group tour of the facility. Candidate group size was around 30 people. They asked a lot of behavioral questions and also asked about the kinds of projects I had worked on in the past. Only a few technical questions if any, nothing too tricky.

Interview Questions
  • Write a method to return the nth entry in the Fibonacci sequence.
  • Review this java code and find errors in it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Pittsburgh, PA) in Sep 2015

Interview

The interview process consisted of a forty-five minute phone interview and a five hour interview at the main office. The phone interview was largely standard for this position, and the office interview resulted in five sessions of questions and one demonstration. My experience with the office personnel was largely positive, with most individuals being upbeat and pleasant. However, their primary talent acquisition agent was a bear to work with during the whole ordeal. They would never respond to any direct communication and could only be reached by constantly bothering their secretary, who was remarkably understanding of the entire situation. In no way did this individual contact me concerning my travel reimbursement, nor the status of my application within the company. It was just a frustrating situation to deal with, and undermines the genuine quality of the office.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Interviews