General Dynamics Mission Systems Entry Level Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 19, 2017

2.5

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems.

Interview

I was first contacted by an HR recruiter via e-mail to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was with a technical manager, lasted about ~45 minutes. Mostly talked about specific points on my resume, some behavior questions, and a few personal questions. Then HR recruiter notified me about two days later that they wanted to move forward and set up an onsite interview.

The onsite was scheduled for about a week later. I spent about 3 hours at the onsite interview. It started off with about a ~45 minute tour of the facility as well as some information about GDMS as a whole, and what they do at that facility. After that, I was lead into a conference room with the head technical manager, and 3 other team managers. They started off with talking about what specifically the position entailed, as well as what each of the teams are working on. That lead into the technical portion of the interview which lasted the rest of my time there. They asked me a lot of questions about my resume, my skills, behavioral type questions, specific CS related/programming related questions, and a brain teaser. There were no coding questions, all of them were high level.
    The technical/programming question were not too overly difficult, however, you either knew the answer or didn't. Some of the topics related to memory, the stack, design patterns, pointers, ect(C/C++/Java).

Overall it was a very pleasant experience, the HR recruiter reached about to me about 4 days after my onsite with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a team project when you had to work with someone difficult   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ) in November 2016.

Interview

Basic technical questions, 2 very professional staff members interviewed me, it went very well. Comfortable setting, relaxed while being professional. Not sure what else to say, the interview was easy for me and I have only had 2 interviews in my life! Most of the technical questions were high level, no writing code.

Interview Questions

• How do you protect variables from accidental assignment?   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer C++ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsfield, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Pittsfield, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

***I am reviewing the on-site interview process.

All in all, it was a pleasant interview. I sat down with three FTE's; two managers and one engineer. They were very kind to me and very personal. They asked me a bunch of questions about my resume, which they had and picked apart each line basically. They also asked me a few technical questions that were fairly easy. While my interview, the other candidates had the ability to talk to FTE's about their job and living conditions (they split us up into two groups). After the two interview sessions for both groups were completed, we joined together and went on a tour of the building which was fantastic.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted not long after to setup a preliminary interview - I was told there would be no technical questions yet.

The preliminary went well, typical questions but the proof of US citizenship with a clean record was clearly of importance, from the questions asked about it. The interview went quickly and so I was asked a couple technical questions that I stumbled through out of surprise.

I wasn't close enough to drive for an in-person interview so my next (and last) interview was a Skype video call with 3 other people working there. They asked lots of technical questions (almost nothing but) for maybe an hour or so. Nearly all questions they asked were listed in other reviews, but a couple were about self-reflection ("Rate your skill level in Java from 1-10. [example: 7] Why 7? What makes you better than a 6? What does it take to become an 8? Why aren't you an 8?"). About a week later I got an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to do an interview with some project managers. The interview was over the phone and it was about 45 minutes. They mainly asked about my experience and what tools I've used. They also gave me a scenario of a software problem and asked me how I would solve it.

Literally 10 minutes after the phone interview, I was then invited to interview on site. Once there, I was interviewed by the same people I talked to on the phone. This interview only took about 20 minutes. They gave me one technical problem and gave me a chance to ask questions. It seemed like they had already decide to send me an offer before the on-site interview since it didn't seem like they had any questions to ask me.

Interview Questions

• If you had to create a system composed of two components, where one component is the primary component for running an application and the other is the backup component that only activates when the primary system malfunctions, how would you setup this system?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dedham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Dedham, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

The process started with one short phone interview, which was by far the more difficult interview. Two weeks after the phone interview I was contacted for an onsite interview. Preparing for the onsite interview was difficult as my recruiter was bad about responding to emails and sending me my paperwork and travel arrangements. The onsite interview itself was pleasant, and consisted of a standard interview (which was more so an explanation of what I could expect as an employee) as well as a technical interview (where I mostly explained previous intern work).

Interview Questions

• Explain the development process of a previous project.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Scottsdale, AZ) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied while I was still college(ASU) around the same time as a campus job fair. Got a email a few weeks later about a college-interview day at the Scottsdale campus(GDC4). Interview took the whole day and consisted of presentations by managers, two separate 45-min interviews with project managers/team members, plus a group tour of the facility. Candidate group size was around 30 people. They asked a lot of behavioral questions and also asked about the kinds of projects I had worked on in the past. Only a few technical questions if any, nothing too tricky.

Entry-Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a forty-five minute phone interview and a five hour interview at the main office. The phone interview was largely standard for this position, and the office interview resulted in five sessions of questions and one demonstration. My experience with the office personnel was largely positive, with most individuals being upbeat and pleasant.

However, their primary talent acquisition agent was a bear to work with during the whole ordeal. They would never respond to any direct communication and could only be reached by constantly bothering their secretary, who was remarkably understanding of the entire situation. In no way did this individual contact me concerning my travel reimbursement, nor the status of my application within the company. It was just a frustrating situation to deal with, and undermines the genuine quality of the office.

Interview Questions

• What is the advantage of a binary search over a hash table?   Answer Question

Entry-Level Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems (Bloomington, MN) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with a half hour phone interview, followed by three hours of interviews in person. The interviews held in person were either 2:1 or 1:1, each lasting half an hour and with employees from different sectors of GD:MS. I was also given a tour of the offices and I was given plenty of time before and after the interviews to ask questions.

The questions at the interviews were about 50 percent related to coursework and experience, 40 percent behavioral/situational questions, and about 10 percent technical questions about programming and object oriented design including some hand coding.

Overall, the interview and application process was very simple but I found the amount of time spent at the in person interview a bit hard to stomach. Come well rested and prepared to spend the entire morning/afternoon at the in person interview.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite course during college?   Answer Question
    • If you were working on a project you didn't know anything about, what would you do to complete the required work?   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Mission Systems in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online and a couple weeks later received a phone call. Had one phase of a phone interview, mostly if not all behavioral questions. Had an onsite interview that lasted about 4 hours. All of the interviews in person were either one on one or two on one. Some technical question, but mostly just talking about previous work experience. After some questions, I was also given overviews of some of the primary projects at the location, and a tour of the facilities. Overall it was a pretty good interview, and about what I would expect for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Pick and describe a design pattern you have implemented and know well.   1 Answer