General Mills Associate Marketing Manager Interview Questions in Minnesota | Glassdoor

General Mills Associate Marketing Manager Interview Questions in Minnesota

Updated May 12, 2017

3.6

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2017.

Interview

Intense for the level of role. Applying through the website was a mess due to the open ended questions. I did at work and was pulled away partway through; all my answers were lost so I had to go and redo them. Then came the phone screen with the hiring manager. 30 minutes so not that bad. Next was the personality test. Followed by values, motivations etc. inventory. Finally, the deductive reasoning test which is Sherlock quality questions - 18 of them to complete within 22 minutes. In-person interview was scheduled to begin at 7 and included meeting 3 people plus a 'case study'. The in-person was 4+ hours but hey, you get a goodie bag at the end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to lead a group through a challening situation.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Mills

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was on campus and was scheduled from 8 in the morning till 2.45 in the afternoon. There were 2 behavioral rounds which are 45 minutes in length and 1 case interview which was again for 45 minutes. We were also given a tour of the wonderful campus. We met Associate Marketing Managers for breakfast and lunch. They were very helpful and tried to make us feel relaxed. The people here are the best. They make you feel comfortable and ensure that you have a great experience.

A little bit more about the case interview, we were given a case that was 12 pages long and then given a laptop to prepare a presentation. It was a simple marketing case, but we are expected to consume a lot of information in the given 75 minutes to read, understand the case and then prepare a simple presentation.

End of the day it was a great experience :)

Interview Questions

• Why General Mills and why Marketing? Which company do you think is the most innovative?   Answer Question

Waiting for decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process consists of three steps. First, a screening phone intervirew with an AAM. Second, an in person interview (I had this interview with them at ROMBA). And third, a visit to their headquarters in Minnesota, where you have a case study, one interview about the case study, and two more behavioral interviews.

The case study is about 10 pages long, you have to answer all questions in 75 minutes. They give you a laptop and a notepad. The answers should be typed in Power Point.

The behavioral interviews are STAR story based.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a CPG social media campaign that you like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position online at the beginning of August. I had a phone interview with a potential team member the second week in August. They invited me back within a few days for an onsite interview the fourth week in August. I was offered the position the following day. The team was very good about setting expectations around timing on next steps but always got back to me faster than promised.

The phone interview was 30 minutes and flew by with limited time for questions so we dove right in. Start prepping your STAR examples for the phone interview as these are the types of questions that may be asked versus the traditional "tell me about your past job experience" type questions.

Prior to the onsite interview, you are asked to complete personality tests and a deductive reasoning test. The personality tests are ones you have probably taken before and just take some time. The deductive reasoning test was quite challenging. I recommend taking practice timed deductive reasoning tests prior to the actual one for GM. Again, highly recommend prepping your STAR examples. You can use the same example for multiple interviewers but they don't all ask the same question so make sure you can work your answers and examples multiple ways.

The onsite interview was very well organized and scheduled. I started the day with a case prep. The HR contact gives you a stack of information and set of questions. You are given a timeframe to work through the information and put together a proposal. I did not have to present it but it was sent to an outside company for review. I had 7 interviews following the case prep including lunch. I appreciated the additional interviews to really get a feel for the company culture and position I would be working in. I asked for a campus tour and am glad I did because there is a lot to show off.

The HR group I have been working with for the C&F division has been wonderful to work with. They were genuinely nice and passionate about the company, easy to work with, and very responsive.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make an independent decision that considered a lot of variables and data...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2014.

Interview

First interview with 2 people, in person.
    Second interview was final round, about 6-7 interviews in a day + case interview. Most of the interviews were with marketing people, but also had 1-2 HR people

Interview Questions

• Case interview about marketing launch   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2012.

Interview

Structured, traditional CPG marketing interview. Be sure you study up on the major trends and the brands that are currently doing a great job at capturing those trends. General Mills prides itself on picking your brain on marketing topics outside of CPG because they like to look at outside brands for inspiration.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 trends in the marketplace you're seeing right now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2010.

Interview

I was asked to fill in an AMM e-screen which consisted of some 10 questions. Then I had a phone screen. After the phone screen, they called me to their head quarters. There, I was first asked to do a case write-up about a product (so, brush up on your market research skills, target consumer and what products should you launch), which is a timed test. Then I was asked to do a "Watson-Glaser Critical assessment test" by Pearson which consisted of 40 questions. Then I had 4 interviews, 2 with Marketing and 2 with HR. The people are very friendly and I would have loved to work there.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about your previous performance reviews?   Answer Question
    • Can you think of a brand from General Mills that you think is underleveraged?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2009.

Interview

This was an on-campus interview. It had been built up to be an extensive marketing case interview, but was a more straight-forward behavioral interview instead. Before I even started, the interviewer said that "other people would be invited back for second rounds" -- it just seemed as if they had already decided who they were going to invite back. While I appreciate the value of networking and making connections before hand, it made me think that the organization was far more political than I had previously believed.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a product was about to launch and the manufacturing plant called to say the wrong ingredients had been delivered?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2008.

Interview

4 behavioral/mini case interviews from marketers follow a monster written case with several questions about how to target, position, promote and price a new product; the case varies for everyoneand an external consultant grades; often used as a "tie-breaker" if your series of behavioral interviewers don't align on you

Interview Questions

• How do you market a product that's really healthy/has great benefits but tastes/smells/feels horrible?   Answer Question
    • How would your market this pen? (interviewer hands a flamingo pen to candidate)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation on salary, signing bonus, or division assignment (unless you have strong competing offer), but can negotiate relocation benefits, start dates, and "vacation" though it's not tracked

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2007.

Interview

Interviewed through my school's career center. Efficient process - interviewed 1:1 with two different people on campus, then went up to Minneapolis to interview 1:1 with 3 more people. Part of that day of interviewing included a written case study, which I understand is used as a "tiebreaker" or an additional data point if you haven't quite sold all of your interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What's the most creative business idea you have and how would you make it work?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate, as I was aware that all recent MBA grads coming in to my position are offered the same thing.