General Mills Financial Analyst Interview Questions in Minnesota | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 5, 2017

3.6

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in May 2017.

Interview

My first contact was an email from the recruiter and then a phone interview a Finance manager. The next day, I was invited for an in person interview with a few finance directors and the finance recruiter. Prior to the in person interview, there were 2 online personality assessments and a deductive reasoning assessment that were required to be completed in addition to completing the official application within their system. When I arrived onsite, I met a senior analyst within the department for coffee and a tour. The in person interview was great; the people I met with were very personable and helpful. They do ask a few curve ball business questions to understand your thought process, but they also definitely want to make sure it's a good fit for both you and the Company.

Interview Questions

• What are some potential drivers that would cause a specific plant that usually has consistent results to have higher than usual SGA costs for a particular month? Explain your thinking.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Mills

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

1st Round: Phone interview with Financial Analyst. Basic Behavioral Questions, 1 Hypothetical Finance Question
    2nd Round: Skype Interview with Finance Manager. Basic Behavioral Questions, 1 Hypothetical Finance Question
    3rd Round: Flown in for In-Person Interview. Dinner the night before with a Senior Financial Analyst & a Financial Analyst. Morning Of: Breakfast with finance members, 3 Round of Interviews: Basic Behavioral & a couple Hypothetical Finance Questions; then lunch with finance members, and a tour. Assessments to complete before the interview.

Advice: Brush up on your behavioral questions. Basic Finance Questions. Everyone was very relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Have a good understanding of COGS, input costs, Valuations (Discounted CF, NPV, IRR, WACC), and non-financial factors when deciding to close down factories, taking on new projects, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

First round was on campus and consisted of standard behavioral questions as well as a short case question about what factors you would consider when creating a new product.

Second round was at General Mills HQ and consisted of 3 behavioral interviews with short case questions interspersed.

Overall, I really enjoyed the interview process! Everyone was extremely smart, yet down-to-earth and friendly.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you consider when creating a new product?
      What are the challenges that General Mills faces?
      How is the food industry changing?
      If given 2 different projects, how would you decide which one to take?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

My first contact was a phone interview with the hiring manager. A couple days later I was invited for an in person interview with a few finance managers and the HR manager. Prior to the in person interview there were online assessment tests that were required to be completed. The entire process was fantastic, the people I met with were kind and thoughtful.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical - If revenues fall on a certain brand of food that previously had consistent revenue, what would you look at or how would investigate the sudden drop in revenue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2016.

Interview

Average STAR interview with 4 senior level personnel. Initial phone interview followed by on site interview. Very informal. Conversational questions to determine fit. No offer as of yet. Still waiting to hear back from General Mills

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

They don't recruit at my university so I applied online. I had two phone interviews before getting invited to their office for 4 additional back to back interviews with what seemed to be the organizations leadership and top performers. After they had me take a critical reasoning test. The next day they extended an offer. The process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Of 2 projects, how would you determine which to take if they both require $100k of start up costs?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2015.

Interview

I really enjoyed meeting members of the finance team at the General Mills Finance presentation on my campus. I followed up with a couple of the finance team members via email and I applied for the FA position online. Soon after, I was contacted to schedule a phone interview. My interviewer was a senior finance manager and the call was about 45 minutes. The interview consisted of primarily behavioral questions about my experiences in leadership and financial analysis. At the end of the interview, I was able to ask questions.
    General Mills reached out to me the next day to invite me in for an interview at the headquarters. My recruiter took care of all the coordinating details, making it a pleasant and stress-free process. I also received an itinerary which included my interviewers' names and roles. Prior to my interviews, I was asked to complete 3 short online assessments.
    I arrived in Minneapolis the night before my interview and a current FA picked me up for dinner. We had a nice, casual discussion and I was able to ask her questions about her experience so far at General Mills. She was very encouraging and I felt really welcomed and prepared heading into my interview the next day. In the morning, I had breakfast with my phone interviewer followed by four interviews which were each a half an hour. Afterward, I had a tour and lunch with an FA. There are so many great features to the headquarters- think beautiful, modern spaces flooded with natural light and treadmill desks. Finally, I checked out with a recruiter and they sent me on my way to the airport. By the end of the day, they called to extend me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you faced a challenge in implementing a project. How did you manage it?   Answer Question

General Mills Response

Jan 6, 2016 – Recruiting Communication Specialist

Thanks for your review. We are glad that the team could make the process stress-free for you!

Congrats on your accepted offer!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2013.

Interview

After sending my resume to several people finally one of their recruiters contacted me and we scheduled a phone interview that lasted 25 minutes. We discussed my professional experience and she explained what the job was about. She then sent me a questionnaire by email that I had to fill in giving more details about my experience and explaining some of my achievements. She forwarded it to the Finance department for them to evaluate if they were interested in having a personal interview.

Interview Questions

• During your professional career, what have you studied or what courses have you attended in order to develop your skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2011.

Interview

Came to our school and interviewed for the first rounds. If you move on, then they send you out to the HQ for the final rounds. I got there on a Monday night where I was taken out to dinner with 2 GMI employees and 3 others who were interviewing for finance. Next day was 4 interviews throughout the day and met a ton of people. Advice:
    -Talk to as many people as possible to find out stuff about company
    -Pace yourself